Thread: MNZ survey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The FIA is not only a body involved with Motorsport, it has many other interests, and AA is still a member.
    Who gave FIA any authority to e the "super body"? As far as I know they just took it on themselves, in the same way as MSNZ has, they don't have a right bestowed on them by anything other than folks being prepared to bend over and take it.
    If what you have said above Alan Hyndman, why were a number of quite prominent drivers threatened with removal of licence for competing at Speedway events? Jim Richards for one.
    I could quote many instances where what MSNZ dictates differs from FIA and even more from what other similar bodies around the world suggest, but as Trevor has said in his last paragraph above....
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-11-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    The FIA is not only a body involved with Motorsport, it has many other interests, and AA is still a member.
    Who gave FIA any authority to e the "super body"? As far as I know they just took it on themselves, in the same way as MSNZ has, they don't have a right bestowed on them by anything other than folks being prepared to bend over and take it.
    If what you have said above Alan Hyndman, why were a number of quite prominent drivers threatened with removal of licence for competing at Speedway events? Jim Richards for one.
    I could quote many instances where what MSNZ dictates differs from FIA and even more from what other similar bodies around the world suggest, but as Trevor has said in his last paragraph above....
    "and AA is still a member." Is this documented as a fact? If so where can I find the evidence? It could indicate the train of authority I had envisaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post

Hi Rhys,

I don't know the answer to that sorry. It's possible that someone at MANZ (as was) at the time got their nose out of joint and decided to push their weight around or mistakenly applied a rule that, in this case, should not have been applied.

A theory was posited to me earlier tonight that buried somewhere in NZ legislation there is the authority for the FIA or its nominated entity to run motor sport in New Zealand. I have long since lost the enthusiasm to read legislation to see if this is true but yes, so long as we keep belonging to the existing controlling body then the status quo remains.

Coincidentally, in the past 12 hours, a battle has erupted between the CEO of MSNZ and the President. I direct you to Mark Petch's Velocity News website for developments so far (emails have also been sent to clubs and licence holders by the look of it):

27 MSNZ clubs send a letter to the President Wayne Christie: https://www.velocitynews.co.nz/major...-in-the-works/

CEO Simon Baker states his position in having no confidence in the President: https://www.velocitynews.co.nz/baker-barks-back/

MSNZ President Wayne Christie responds (sorry, this is on Mail Chimp - maybe it is yet to be posted on Mark Petch's website): https://mailchi.mp/f012241ee979/boar...s?e=2e775e9fd6

There are undoubtedly many discussions on Facebook pages regarding this too.