Thread: Dunedin Street Races - revival meeting January 1984

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    My late father was one of the group who found that circuit - and worked the landowners round to approval. Then of course it was declined Police approval - despite, I was told, the "old pals act " being worked hard on senior Police.
    He went on to become one of the founder members of the Motor Racing Club - which ran Wigram for many years. Not the Canterbury Car Club as above. Amalgamation came many years later.
    wow, was he a bike man too? Do you think this would have been a combined meeting, bikes and cars?

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    wow, was he a bike man too? Do you think this would have been a combined meeting, bikes and cars?
    I don't recall any mention of bikes being included at that point. I'd have to look at the book which is the history of the Motor Racing Club to see when they first ran at Wigram. Unless someone on here has a copy.
    And yes, of course he was a bike guy Spyda. A Grade at Monica Park speedway prewar. Scrute for first season of Aranui and chief lapscorer at Cust up to '61.
    I understand that a large part of the "old pals act" being used on the senior police to get the circuit approved came from the old man having taught a lot of them to ride a motorcycle pre-war.