Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand National Library Photo Collection

Journeyman Racer
    This is unbelievable but the young guy with his hand up to his mouth is me!! beside car #58 . 16 years old then.The guy standing next to the Porche is my best mate. That photo was in the NZCLASSICCAR mag a year or so ago and he was thrilled when I gave him the heads up.Many thanks for posting these great photos and it really is what this site is all about. Unearthing all these photos

Journeyman Racer
    I am refering to the Palmer head photos on the 2nd page

Semi-Pro Racer
    POST 55
    3 is John Mansel

POST 56
    1 Brabham and McLaren
    6 Red Butler (Porsche)

POST 57
    3 Harry Schell (so must be 1959)
    4 yes - Katie Moss
    6 Ross Jensen

POST 58
    all drivers ID' correctly, but Glass, Clark and Shelby must be 1959

POST 60
    3 Bib Stillwell's 250F (1959)

Post 55
    The Marshall smoking the pipe in the photo with John Mansel is I believe Gordon Southee

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    This is unbelievable but the young guy with his hand up to his mouth is me!! beside car #58 . 16 years old then.The guy standing next to the Porche is my best mate. That photo was in the NZCLASSICCAR mag a year or so ago and he was thrilled when I gave him the heads up.Many thanks for posting these great photos and it really is what this site is all about. Unearthing all these photos
    Is that you sitting in the grass hilstwist?

Mini Cooper car at the Palmer Road Hill Climb, Breaker Bay, Wellington. Davis, Bruce Valentine, 1913-2003 :Negatives of the family of Bruce Davis, motor racing, and photographs of the Mosgiel Mills. Ref: 35mm-00717-f-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23089561
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re Johnny Mansel , I use to hear plenty about him as a kid , we had a family pik at home on the wall with him in an alfa ex GP car [I think ] & Ernie in his 4 CLT Maserati ex GP car , going side by side flat out through Bombay at Wigram , I remember asking Ernie about him but did not have much to say about him you never asked the same question twice lol , I think by all reports he was a charmer & had a gift for driving ...........I think Ray Stone was close to him , Ray was also a helping hand to Ernie in the mk 3 days ..... oddly enough Ray helped get the deal to gether for Dick Johnston & Gary [ brother] to team up at Puke

World Champion

Sports car at a bend on a hill, [Wellington?

Sports car at a bend on a hill, [Wellington?]. Negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1956/0514b-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23081675

World Champion

New Zealand Grand Prix trophy

Cup presented by the patron of the Manawatu Car club for the winner of the New Zealand Grand Prix. Photograph taken in 1950 by an Evening Post staff photographer.

World Champion

Unidentified members of the New Zealand Racing team leaving for overseas 5 Feb 1960

Unidentified members of the New Zealand Racing team leaving for overseas, including emblem and silver fern on their jackets, with the letters NZIGP [New Zealand International Grand Prix?]

Unidentified members of the New Zealand Racing team leaving for overseas, including emblem and silver fern on their jackets, with the letters NZIGP [New Zealand International Grand Prix?]. Further negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1960/0472-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/30664150

Semi-Pro Racer
    Post 69. Denny Hulme and George Lawton, is the one with the glasses Feo Stanton

Semi-Pro Racer
    Lawton on the left, Hulme on the right and, yes, Feo Stanton

POST 67
    Sports car?
    Tom Clark in his 8CM Maserati, Houghton Bay 1956

World Champion

Hillclimb championships in Wellington 1958

1 Hillclimb championships in Wellington. Negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1958/0792-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22742918
    2 Hillclimb championships in Wellington. Negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1958/0795-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22525744
    3Hillclimb championships in Wellington. Negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1958/0793-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22635355
    4 Hillclimb championships in Wellington. Negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1958/0791-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23107944

Journeyman Racer
    Yes thats me too sitting next to my best cobber. He is also standing next to that porcshe which was driven by a Wellington Doctor i think. But I could hardly believe it when I saw myself next to that #58 sports car. I was sure when i recognised the jumper. My Rongatai College one. It is the only Jjumper I had!!! I have still got all my hair but alas the tinnies over the years have done for my weight!! My mate was also thrilled to see these unearthed.does anyone know what/who that #58 car is i am next to on page 2 of this thread.

Journeyman Racer
    This Fairlane or Customline? is Houghton Bay and I have taken quite a few photos at that corner. some of which are on one of my collections on this site.

Y'all have great recall, the only thing I can remember about Wellington in the 60s is the Purple Onion.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    Yes thats me too sitting next to my best cobber. He is also standing next to that porcshe which was driven by a Wellington Doctor i think. But I could hardly believe it when I saw myself next to that #58 sports car. I was sure when i recognised the jumper. My Rongatai College one. It is the only Jjumper I had!!! I have still got all my hair but alas the tinnies over the years have done for my weight!! My mate was also thrilled to see these unearthed.does anyone know what/who that #58 car is i am next to on page 2 of this thread.
    #58 was the Bagnall- Jaguar

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Unidentified members of the New Zealand Racing team leaving for overseas, including emblem and silver fern on their jackets, with the letters NZIGP [New Zealand International Grand Prix?]

Unidentified members of the New Zealand Racing team leaving for overseas, including emblem and silver fern on their jackets, with the letters NZIGP [New Zealand International Grand Prix?]. Further negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1960/0472-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/30664150
    Great pik this thanks

Journeyman Racer
    I would be careful admitting to knowing the Purple Onion. Jamie used to hang out there..............so to speak

Journeyman Racer
    So did I ! It must have been the great coffee and the toasted sarnies!!

Yes I think there was some sort of attraction there for more than a few of us