Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing (2014)

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    The 2015 Festival is celebrating Porsche, so book your hoildays now
    Great to hear, thanks.
    There's a post earlier in the thread that implies next year's festival is to celebrate Howden Ganley.
    Is the 2015 event a combined Ganley/Porsche Festival or have I got my wires crossed?

2015 is Howden Ganley, 2016 is Porsche. Porsches are too common and too similar for me. Ferrari has an attraction that few other marques can emulate. Porsche only did F1 in the 1.5 litre formula from 1961 - 1966 and only produced two car models. One (slow) four cylinder ex F2 car and one 8 cylinder. I think they won just one F1 race, but happy to be corrected.

Ferrari have been involved in F1 from day 1 and have produced literally dozens of iconic F1 cars. One F1 1500cc Porsche would not have the spectator pulling power that the Ferrari F1 cars obviously had, judging by the crowd response.

Sorry Powder, but it is easy enough to watch the cars and races you want over a three day period. Eight races a day? Boring. Very boring. You hike to one part of the track then have to hike back again 8 times to fill in the day? I think not.

Many drivers do not like the two or three day meetings simply because there is TOO MUCH hanging around. They are there from 8am and if they are in the last race, they are hanging around for 9 hours for two 12 minute races. At a one day meeting, a driver gets one practice and three races and at least 50% prefer that - and yes, this is taken from a poll of all driver in our series, not just an opinion.

Spreading the Festival over three days, plus a day for documentation and scrutineering, often puts off those who are working for a living too.

Custaxie, if you want to see more of the track in one go, rent an apartment!

I haven't yet been to Highland Park but at 4.1kms long, much of it is out of sight altogether... And Powder, a small grid on a long track makes it even worse for paying spectators. I am not paying to see empty tarseal whilst a procession of six cars circulates, getting further and further spaced out. That isn't racing. It doesn't help when the attrition rate is high either - which it usually is. I suggest you look at the finishing numbers for the last races of weekend 1.

Might just as well speed group the cars and send 45 cars out for a tour and let us see 400 different cars. (Only kidding...)

Monaco Historics 2012, penned into one section of the track; stuck behind tall catch fencing or too far from the track to get a clear pic; not even being allowed to go from one quarter full grandstand to another; not being allowed into the paddock without an extra pass; constant 40 minute waits in the hot sun, with nothing happening on track (other than ViPs being ferried around), means I'd never ever go back.

The HD Festival may not be perfect, but I'd rather spectate there than Pukekohe - or Monaco.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.

I wonder if having the same theme over 2weekends/6 days is spreading too little jam over too much toast? Come on one day and you've seen everything. Maybe have different themes/marques celebrated each day and load the programme towards them on that day? You'll potentially broaden the market a bit and get different visitors on each day supplementing your core group.

It worked with the one marque for BMW and for Ferrari, as both local suppliers were very supportive of the event.

I managed to cadge a ride in the Ferrari FF course car, supplied by Continental cars, but the signage and club stands wouldn't be quite as easy with two different marques, meaning a massive changeover from week to week.

There has been more discussion (on the MB's) this time than normal but suggestions need to be sent directly to the Festival Committee for consideration. There is also much going on in the background that we are blissfully unaware of.

Next year, (it probably works on a two year cycle) we should have a larger overseas contingent with the Formula Juniors and F5000's back in force and possiby the Australian Muscle Cars, so grids hopefully will be bigger than this year in those three sections at least.

I do agree that changing some things between each weekend is a massive positive though, as I was happy enough going down for part of both Fridays and both Saturdays.

Whilst the Classic Trial may not be to everyone's liking, they at least managed to turn up with 36 cars and some of those cars are interesting in their own right.

Name:  214_0118_156b.JPG
Views: 792
Size:  54.1 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 01-25-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Ok, what good is it to me if i pay to get in and sit in the grandstand only to see the front part of the track.
    Baypark - where you sat was what you saw.
    Pukekohe - a little more if you sat in the Hill stand top southern end (just objects moving at other side of track though)
    Manfield - Same as Baypark
    Lakeside - Same
    Willowbank - Bit like Puke - see right in front of you and objects moving across the other side.
    Gold Coast - Sounds like Monaco - can't go from half empty stand to stand or in pits without extra dollar passes and see bugger all through animal cage surrounding track.

Its the same world wide so I see this as a bit of a lame complaint. What are the facilities meant to have ? Grandstands like Indianapolis where you are that far away you are watching coloured ants race?

Sorry just seems like a silly complaint - you either want a race track or you don't. Enjoy what you have. They are fast disappearing.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Ok, what good is it to me if i pay to get in and sit in the grandstand only to see the front part of the track.
    I don't understand why you would arrive at a place you have not been before and not take a walk around to find the spot, or spots that best suit you. I have been to a huge number of tracks and for me HD is THE most spectator friendly. I have yet to decide which of the viewing spots I like best and keep moving almost all day.

Agree with Oldfart. The joy of HD is that from the spectator area you can walk to the bank and watch the exit of turn 1, through 2 and into three. Walk 100m and watch them crest the brow of turn three and down in to turn 4 hairpin. Walk 300m and see them exit turn 3 and enter/exit turn 4 and also see them exiting turn 5 (the droppng hairpin) and down to the long sweeper. Walk another 300m and park yourself on the bank and see them exit the first hairpin and through turn 5 and down to the sweeper. Move up the bank 50m and watch them through the hairpin and the sweeper up the hill and to the finish line. You can even view from the pit wall now and again after the starts at many meetings and walk along and watch them enter turn 1.

You can even sit outside Hamptons and watch them ourt of turn 1 and down to turn 2. Magic - and you have only walked a kilometre.

If you are spritely, you can even watch each lap in an 8 lap race from a different viewpoint, all of them photographically friendly. Where else can you do that?

If all you want to do is park your posterior in a seat and drink beer all day, then you aren't going get the best HD has to offer.

The only downside is that apart from Hamptons, there is little or no shade or shelter, but in that respect is is no different from Teretonga, Manfeild and Taupo. (I haven't been to the remaining South island tracks - yet.

At Pukekohe at a big meeting, you are denied access to the covered stand there too unless you have a pass - and even that courtesy isn't extended to drivers! You are also denied spectator access to the esses and until recently, the hairpin.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-26-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    2015 is Howden Ganley, 2016 is Porsche.
    Thanks for the clarification of the dates.

Porsches are too common and too similar for me. Ferrari has an attraction that few other marques can emulate. Porsche only did F1 in the 1.5 litre formula from 1961 - 1966 and only produced two car models. One (slow) four cylinder ex F2 car and one 8 cylinder. I think they won just one F1 race, but happy to be corrected.
    ....umm, there's a bit more to motor racing than just F1.

Sorry Powder, but it is easy enough to watch the cars and races you want over a three day period. Eight races a day? Boring. Very boring. You hike to one part of the track then have to hike back again 8 times to fill in the day? I think not.
    On my previous visits to the Festivals I've probably only watched 3 or 4 races per day and spent the rest of the time in the paddock talking to people, so it seemed to me that a full race programme was wasted on me. But thinking about it a bit more, having the noise of racing going on adds to the atmosphere, even if I'm not actually watching the race. So, yeah, keep the programme as it is.

I haven't yet been to Highland Park but at 4.1kms long, much of it is out of sight altogether...
    And they're bidding for the NZGP to be moved there! If Motorsport NZ give them the race then I'll know they're not fit to run the sport in this country.

Might just as well speed group the cars and send 45 cars out for a tour and let us see 400 different cars. (Only kidding...)
    Hey good idea, you should start a race series.

Monaco Historics 2012, ......I'd never ever go back.
    Le Mans Classic is the one for me. Dozens of vantage points, open pits, fantastic cars from all ages.

The HD Festival may not be perfect, but I'd rather spectate there than Pukekohe - or Monaco.
    Agreed, excellent venue and event, and long may it continue (phew back on topic at last).

Malcolm

Thanks for that. Thankfully, there are many different viewpoints and the Festival committee is probably well aware of most of them.

We'll never get a total consensus but NZ motorsport is probably strongest in the Classic & Historic arena and particularly strong when the overseas cars and drivers boost the quality and the numbers.

There is still plenty of scope for expanding the festival over the rest of the site over the years to come but they proved this time, that whilst F1 may not be everyone's cup of tea, there is no doubt whatever that seeing/hearing F1 cars on the track is a huge drawcard.

Ironically, with only one or two cars on the track at a time for their demo runs, you could appreciate the noise.

I'm not sure that even a Porsche 917 would have the same appeal to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I don't understand why you would arrive at a place you have not been before and not take a walk around to find the spot, or spots that best suit you. I have been to a huge number of tracks and for me HD is THE most spectator friendly. I have yet to decide which of the viewing spots I like best and keep moving almost all day.
    I did have a walk about,and i did see some getting on the piss in the apartments and having a good time all good.you would have to go a long way to better manfeild oldfart,look at it this way seeing Ken Smith at 72 and others put the wood into it as they go over the start line,and see 100% of the race from one spot.Only my view and this may not be right. you would hear 100% of the race and see 25% of the race at HD would that be right oldfart,Tony and the others as i have said before have done a great job at building up HD and still are working on it ,and i take my hat off to them for all this work.

Agree that you can see a lot of the track at Manfeild, but hopeless for an amateur taking photographs.

You would have more then a box camera,any good one of todays cameras would do go stand on the hill ERC.

I use a 300mm lens now on a modern SLR digital camera and I can assure you that Manfeild has virtually no decent viewing spots to get a photograph that I would be happy with. Certainly. there would be no variety. Lets just agree to differ. What you want and what I want from a race track as a spectator, differs.

Porsche in F1 from 1961-66??

Ray - they lasted until the end of 1962 and then ran away. A Porsche car has never been seen in F1 since. End of story.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Porsche Club would seem to be a dead duck, we were asked by some local Porsche club guys if we could do something for them at our ENZED Classic meeting for this year, the weekend after Skope, so designed the meeting around that, given that its 50 years of Porsche Competition ( give or take a couple of months) asked for some support from local dealers, not money, just a little help in getting in formation out, got jack shit, plus we have the grand total of 9 Porsches. it is much the same in other classes as well, they come to us with great promises of full grids, which we are more than happy to provide, them front up with 6 cars, of which 5 will be ring ins. So you really have to be very careful when trying to figure out just how you want to play these meetings, but it does help if you can feature a class or marque with success, it gives a depth to the meeting.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Ray - they lasted until the end of 1962 and then ran away. A Porsche car has never been seen in F1 since. End of story.
    Thanks Michael! I really meant that the 1.5 litre formula was 1961 to end 1965, not that Porsche were ever presents.

We used to cheer Godin de Beaufort trundling around at the back of the grid!

Name:  196_0621_030 Porsche.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  204_0702_12.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  32.3 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 01-26-2014 at 08:01 PM.

I did hear an unconfirmed whisper of a couple of possible changes for next year's festival, which if they happen, may result in a much larger profile, and make it truely an Event!
    IF this is the case, I would suggest an invite to a few Aussie saloons wouldn't go amiss.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post

They did "not a bad job" powering a few mclarens at one stage

Good on John McKechnie for taking out the Denny Hulme award at main prize giving yesterday afternoon for his efforts in getting the Sports Sedan class organised for the event. Also to Howard Wood for the Best Overall BMW award and the entertainment value he added to running with HMC. On a personal note I`d like to thank the HMC directors Dale, Steve Holmes and Tony Roberts for nominating me for the HMC class award. For me, it`s about making it happen as a group and there are others within HMC who should have got it, but I am stoked and thanks to everyone for a great fortnight of social fun, and a bit of motor racing!