Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Car Transporters of the Past

OK not a old photo only a couple months ago,but still a very neat and tidy racecar transporter.Name:  Chatfeild CF Bedford Van 1.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  118.1 KBName:  Chatfeild CF Bedford Van 2.jpg
Views: 2377
Size:  97.8 KB

Thanks for the vote of confidence! No "wrath" intended, simply to try to help you with your efforts. Obviously very misplaced, especially seeing that many have managed what you couldn't. For that I am sorry as I am sure that you have stuff that we would all like to see. Get the chip off your shoulder. I see that Steve made an offer which has not borne fruit for you. I note that he has said that he has a real job, and I also have a bunch of photos with him that have yet to see the forum pages.
    I have posted photos, it's not that hard, but definitely tedious.

Semi-Pro Racer

Uhlenhaut's Mercedes Transporter 1955

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! No "wrath" intended, simply to try to help you with your efforts. Obviously very misplaced, especially seeing that many have managed what you couldn't. For that I am sorry as I am sure that you have stuff that we would all like to see. Get the chip off your shoulder. I see that Steve made an offer which has not borne fruit for you. I note that he has said that he has a real job, and I also have a bunch of photos with him that have yet to see the forum pages.
    I have posted photos, it's not that hard, but definitely tedious.
    Don't think it's even all that tedious, Oldfart.

windows 7 screenshot

Don't use the instructions on the Roaring Season, just cut and paste using one of the several online systems.
    My son sent me this a few years ago - from a shop-window display of (in his words) "breathtakingly expensive model cars etc" in an arcade in Perth WA. The transporter was built around a Mercedes 300SL sports and could do over 100 mph.

Stu

Name:  matichlongfordfeb65ie0.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  30.0 KB
    I think I get it!

Have to try another one!

Name:  1825759d1389133440-vintage-race-car-transporters-mysteryfe.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  69.0 KB

You have to use the new tech. Terry S.!

Name:  unread%20messages.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  23.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    You have to use the new tech. Terry S.!

Name:  unread%20messages.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  23.1 KB
    One pidgeon missing....hmmm, perhaps some Old Farts converted it to a pre 61 pidgeon racer.

Isn't it good that there is always someone to throw shit at from the mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan;41193

[url=http://postimage.org/
    [/url]
    windows 7 screenshot

Don't use the instructions on the Roaring Season, just cut and paste using one of the several online systems.
    My son sent me this a few years ago - from a shop-window display of (in his words) "breathtakingly expensive model cars etc" in an arcade in Perth WA. The transporter was built around a Mercedes 300SL sports and could do over 100 mph.

Stu
    DO you know which arcade or shop in Perth? I can go and see if it's still there, or if they have any other exotics if you can give me some clues.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    DO you know which arcade or shop in Perth? I can go and see if it's still there, or if they have any other exotics if you can give me some clues.
    This dates back to June 2010, when my son was working for a consultancy firm located in the GPO building ( in Murray St ?Mall) in the centre of Perth. He is now back in NZ, and I was talking to him today, but before I had seen your post on this thread. I don't seem to be able to raise him this evening, and I will be out of internet contact for about a week from tomorrow a.m.

However, his actuals words were "There's a series of display cases in one of the arcades I walk through on my way to work; I spotted this among a collection of terrifyingly expensive models of sports cars." I note from Perth maps that there are several arcades in the 2 streets just South of the GPO, maybe it is in one of these, and also, there is a very distinctive black and white tile pattern (looks like a crossword puzzle) reflected in the mirror at the back of the display case and also in the window surround.

Your Mission, therefore, will be to trawl very carefully up and down these arcades looking closely at the tiles you are walking on. I've never been to Perth, so this my best offer, unless my son contacts me before I go walkabout tomorrow.

Happy Hunting,

Stu Buchanan

Been there,can not remember Mall name but is attached to VERY expensive menswear shop.Great models.

Brain cells now joined up.............The company is called Parker & Co, Trinity Arcade which is between Hay St and St Georges Tce.Enjoy.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    Brain cells now joined up.............The company is called Parker & Co, Trinity Arcade which is between Hay St and St Georges Tce.Enjoy.
    Yes, indeed. Son just rang and confirmed above. He also looked on Google Earth for a street view, but they didn't take a camera up the arcade. Word of advice to JAFA, if you find yourself in an underground shopping mall, back up and find the Hay St level. That's where it is, apparently.

Stu

OK cool. Just got back out on site so won't be back in town for a month but I will go and see what I can find when I get back.

Well I went to the Trinity Arcade this morning. Parker & Co are still there, and the display cases directly across from them are still there too There are 3 cases there, each has "Parker & Co" on them, so I guess they belong to the shop. Anyway, the Mercedes Benz transporter is long gone, but there is a nice selection of old models, lots of Mercs and a couple of interlopers, all for sale too if you wish. Excuse the phone photos.

I can go back with a proper camera if anyone wishes to see better pics or of any particular car.

Super models - great photos.
    Here is the rear of a transporter that has a nice cargo!

Name:  04%20copy.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  131.3 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Mercedes Benz transporter was at Goodwood FOS this year.

Not sure if this is a new build or a restoration of both vehicles - nice though!

Name:  1951-Standard-Vanguard-Saloon-and-Hauler-Front.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  130.8 KB

[QUOTE=Kwaussie;42067]Not sure if this is a new build or a restoration of both vehicles - nice though!

Actually both are new build. Inspired by the transporter used to carry the Lotus way back when. Both of these Vanguards are from IK Classics.

World Champion
    Terry,
    I also have been interested in old competition car transportation and here are some photos of vehicles being taken to drag strips and race tracks etc. here in the US during the 60s and 70s and the last one is one being hauled away from the strip !
    Name:  Hauler.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  180.1 KB
    Must be years ago as there is no freeway traffic.
    Name:  Hauler__Prudhomme-ramp-truck.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  110.2 KB
    Don Prudhomme's vehicle.
    Name:  Hauler_-moonrace.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  59.1 KB
    (Yellow was a popular colour back then. )
    Name:  Hauler-DodgeIvoenclosed-vi.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  Hauler 1973.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  Hauler for -parts.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  174.0 KB
    This was a bad day at the track where things did not turn out as planned.
    (Ken Hyndman )