Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Attachment 24639

This one, presumably...
    Thanks yep that's it

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Thanks yep that's it
    This is a very interesting photo from the point of view where it was taken. This is right outside the hanger where the hairpin was. You turned left, over the drains and back out onto the airfield about 10 metres past where this photo was taken. Normally you would be hard on the brakes here, trying not to slide down the off camber and keep it hard up against the hanger. I know that at one stage the hairpin used to be at the other end of #6 hanger (or where this photo was taken) , and they then had to return back up the other side of the drains to get out onto the airfield. I am not sure when that was. Even earlier there was just a S bend from outside the previous hanger and then straight out onto the airfield. I was based at Wigram from 1974 to 1992, and during this time they always had the short hairpin.
    Normally photos taken near the hangers at Wigram are of cars coming around the Control Tower, where the off camber and bumps were really bad, so they wheels in the air and looked spectacular!!!
    Pete B

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Time for an upgrade, more than 6 months have passed, now that all racing is over for the summer, back onto it.
    Guess its a good time to post pics of all 2 corners as the main welding is done, and everything lines up.

Attachment 24635

Attachment 24636

Attachment 24637

Attachment 24638
    Wow, that is looking awesome John! Thanks for the updates.

Steve-Its changed already- dash is now repainted to original colour,, and fitting glove box and centre woodgrain trim.
    Once Rogerd connects with me, I will have the pedal box and complete steering with wheel in.
    Bootlid has had its final fit.
    White paint will be on this month....yay
    Congratulations John, painting is a massive milestone. Am looking forward to the rest of your magnificent build.

That is a huge milestone John, and yes I will be at HD next year. Cheers, Bruce

John that was an interesting snippet, keep up the good work its only time ????? and sum doe ray me [$$] Do you notice how time keeps slipping away......lol. I use to have a few trinkets but realised when my girls came along it was time to be a Dad , good by race cars & collectables thats the price for starting a family later in life but wouldnt swap my family for quids or for motor racing , BUT hey they are all growing up fast ???

Yep Grant, thats why mine been parked, just when you think 'they grown now i might go play' along comes the grand child (hes a little ripper too) but he will grow into it, so better get on with putting bits together.

PS John, you have done some work fella, car looking great, and all this in between organizing others and Historic Sports Sedans, good on you.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 05-29-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Yeah, well spotted! Check out some of the cars in the background: I can see an earlier HK/HT Monaro, and HQ Monaro, and a 67/68 Impala hardtop. Makes you wonder where all these cars went.

This thread is nearing 40,000 page views John. Lots of interest in this car. I reckon you'll have quite a crowd assemble for its first track appearance in nearly 40 years.

John give Tony Rutherford a yell think he has one.

John, if you don't get anywhere with Tony drop me a line,

Wow, thats looking great John! Awesome effort.

That car definitely ended up with the right owner John, you saved it from almost certain extinction, so stand up and take a bow for bringing one back from the dead. 40,000 hits shows what great interest there is in the car. Its been an epic journey to watch.

Hear Hear John, well done and I agree with Steve...you saved an important part of our motorsport history.....an example you have set for others to follow.....Cheers, Bruce

Advert from Auto News- August 24 1970-

Chev 350 motor,1970:Ex-Grady Thomson Monaro. Two meetings since built. Modified as follows: 48IDAs Weber down-draughts, Hamlin and Charles modified heads, roller rockers, 2.02 inch inlet valves, Isky Magnum 600 rear driven roller cam, HD pushrods, nitrate steel crankshaft, four main bolt caps, Camaro z/28 rods.TRW forged pistons, 12.5:1, high capacity sump and oil pump, Schieffer Rev Lock clutch and alloy flywheel. Mpotor is putting out approx 540 hp.
    Contact Rimmer Thomson Motors,Wellington.57-960.

Wonder who bought this motor, advert didnt appear again.

I am needing the use of a car rotissiere for the Monaro for about a month - does anyone in the Auckland or near area have one that I can use?
    if so please call me at 5224418
    Pretty sure I have an Isky GEAR drive roller cam, and gears, like that "in stock" when the time comes

Well done John getting this far.......I bet you are excited first big hurdle. over . you are not a gunna .......I wud love to recreate our fast back Anglia ...... got the contacts just need the time ..... I gunna gunna gunna do it one day lol.... congrats John pss John dont forget to lower rear of that bonnet you know that story ??? lol
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 06-11-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: more words

MMmmmm John thats a good idea ....lol

In regard bonnets I guess you have spotted the photos from the UK in the "Just a mix.." thread?

The old story of Holden bonnet hinges flogging out where the rivets go through and the spring pushes it up, cheap fix is to slot mounting holes a wee bit on the inner guard mount points so it can sit down more, or of course drill out rivets and build up with weld re-drill and re-rivet, bit of a job but probably worth the effort. Great Job John, so love seeing these old girls being Re Born!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Wood View Post
    The old story of Holden bonnet hinges flogging out where the rivets go through and the spring pushes it up, cheap fix is to slot mounting holes a wee bit on the inner guard mount points so it can sit down more, or of course drill out rivets and build up with weld re-drill and re-rivet, bit of a job but probably worth the effort. Great Job John, so love seeing these old girls being Re Born!
    In the context of this discussion, it relates to the practice of having the back edge lifted on purpose to help getting the engine bay heat relieved some.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    In the context of this discussion, it relates to the practice of having the back edge lifted on purpose to help getting the engine bay heat relieved some.
    That old myth again? do people still think it works?