Thread: Discuss the various formats for historic racing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Dave, what did you have in mind for me, as you say, 'a carriage with more decorum'. Surely not a Jaguar!!!! I actually like driving the Mini, but not on the race track. As is usual, I like to do illegal things with it, like take it for a blast in the countryside round Cambridge and just listening to the howl of the gears. Don't need to be going very fast, just accelerating out of corners on traffic free roads. Music to the ears. I think the 'law' would take a dim view of my activities if they spotted me......'no lights Sir'......'No officer, it's daylight and I can see, even without my glasses!!!! I seem to be doing these anti-social things less and less these days. Actually the car is probably in better condition than some of the rubbish I see out there.....mostly of the turbo-charged Subaru variety, with the driver sittting on the floor. I'm sure I would get fined slightly more than the 13/6 I got stung for on the Leeston run!!!
    So it seems from all your comments that it is me that is out of step here, and that the rest of you are having a hilarious time racing with your mates. Well bully for you. But I hope you are not trying to WIN, because that's what it sounds like to me, and that is NOT the spirit of Classic racing.
    Attended the HD round of the Super-tourers yesterday, and the Guy at the back was definately NOT having FUN......and I got that straight from the horses mouth!!!!!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    AMCO72, they are in a different sand pit, and I'm unsure as to just what will happen between the two top classes, BNTV8's or Super Tourers, I can't see both surviving, given that sponsors tins maybe a bit on the light side at this point in time, and would appear that worse is to come, and from what I can gather, the only winners will be the Lawyers, so in saying that, it is good news for those that race in Historic and Classic classes, as some of those people will race their own cars here, and when you race your car, you are very aware of what it costs!!
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Dave, what did you have in mind for me, as you say, 'a carriage with more decorum'. Surely not a Jaguar!!!! I actually like driving the Mini, but not on the race track. As is usual, I like to do illegal things with it, like take it for a blast in the countryside round Cambridge and just listening to the howl of the gears. Don't need to be going very fast, just accelerating out of corners on traffic free roads. Music to the ears. I think the 'law' would take a dim view of my activities if they spotted me......'no lights Sir'......'No officer, it's daylight and I can see, even without my glasses!!!! I seem to be doing these anti-social things less and less these days. Actually the car is probably in better condition than some of the rubbish I see out there.....mostly of the turbo-charged Subaru variety, with the driver sittting on the floor. I'm sure I would get fined slightly more than the 13/6 I got stung for on the Leeston run!!!
    So it seems from all your comments that it is me that is out of step here, and that the rest of you are having a hilarious time racing with your mates. Well bully for you. But I hope you are not trying to WIN, because that's what it sounds like to me, and that is NOT the spirit of Classic racing.
    Attended the HD round of the Super-tourers yesterday, and the Guy at the back was definately NOT having FUN......and I got that straight from the horses mouth!!!!!!!
    You have the answer to your problem in your own reply Gerald, do what ever is required to register your car and then you can drive it down to see Jim and listen to your gearbox to your hearts content, I would advise some rubber engine mounts however. That's why I built the Blue car as first and foremost as a road car. I made a big mistake putting in a roll cage as I can race it without one and could have taken my grand children for ride in the back seat. But I can go for a blast any time I like and man is it FUN!!!!!

In reply no 26Amco I am stunned NZs current v8 Champion calling the latest fastest racing we have ever seen ,,{good one Stu.}Super Tourers I mean hes raced Minis to Kenworths and proved himself beyond question {yes I know he takes after his Mum} but to call the latest toy a Hot Heavy piece of Sh..t,,, just loved the TV coverage man what a crowd??strange no one on the terrace that had plenty at the Roycroft meet.Both grandstands nealy half full !!!!but the tv shot I really enjoyed ,,I mean coming of a farm as a boy, and as the camera panned around there looked to be at least 30 black beef cattle on the hill at the back of the track just wonderfull bring on the Endurances races cant wait as most looked to be in calve

Semi-Pro Racer
    Dave, Roger is correct, you can build your car to the old Group 5 spec's, as long as it meets schedule A requirements ( baring your Roll cage problems, and I believe that Crunch will be talking to you helping out with that issue) there is no reason that it won't be acceptable, you also should join the Classic Motor Racing club as well, we need a few more active members, if you are ever in need of a question answered, get hold of Crunch, and if he does not know, he has the resources to get an answer.
    And Bruce, I would hate to see the NZ historic and Classic scene get to some of the lenghts that they do in the States, but what you have described is not that common thank god, and they do have have some good Historic racing, in the various groups SCCA, VERA , and a few others, and not all are run by Steve Earl!!
    Roger

World Champion
    Jim, what the hell has endurance races got to do with cows being in calf. Are you hoping to see a cow or two giving birth while the race is in progress?? Was the racing so boring in the weekend that you were looking at pregnant cows rather than the cars?
    I did not tape the meeting but was there in person, so didn't notice too many cows. The ST racing, was very definately RACING.....hard, fast, give no quarter type stuff, with most of NZ's top drivers in the hot seat. And that is definately what it was....a hot seat. After race one, my man was fitting an airconditioning system in the cockpit to keep temparatures below 120 degrees. These new machines are NOTHING like the old BNT V8's, which were quite friendly old girls in comparison. Actually I still enjoyed the NZ V8 race. There was some good racing, and PASSING........[wash your mouth out]. For some reason the ST's are very hot in the cabin, maybe the engine is further back, and the steering is unbelievably heavy, maybe because the tyres are about 2ft wide!!! And he was not having fun.......even the old 'McGintys truck was easier to drive!!!!
    My mans comment was that they are a very 'physical' machine to drive, and for an endurance race even more so. He will have to spend some at the 'Jum/Jim/Gym pumping some iron, or he is going to colapse in a heap.

Goodness me, my innocent comment, at the start of this thread about having FUN, has really stirred up a hornets nest. But thats good, because although everyone has an opinion on these things, that opinion has never before been aired in such an open and frank way with other like-minded enthusiasts.

Amco look I can not spend so much time on here as you know I have a very busy life to lead.reread and you will note I said the tv was great and the panning of the camera {that means moving about}picked up some cattle ,,,the End. starts shortly and with luck there will be some little ones...now I didnt rubish the racing but have to wonder how many champions did drake mention 27>>I beleive so been cleened up by some 18yr, old no FUN I bet another 2 bob there was no FUN now we must not debate this modern activity on here

World Champion
    Yes, some wet-behind-the-ears kid........ Jim you gotta remember......every dog has his day....Woof woof!!!
    I thought you was thinking of 'pan-frying' the cattle-beast, when you talked about 'panning'.
    As a refined GENT, I am surprised at your busy work-load....but not too busy to ring me and chew my ear. Never mind I will probably do what Dave suggests and get a WOF for the Mini, then I can come down and have a coffee with you.....you should be good at making coffee, although somehow I cant picture you making flat-whites!!!!

Strange just told Dave you would never wof the mini plus you forget I was a coffee cafe owner in my endevor to get Steph to UK.yes wet kid was kicked out yrs back!!!!