Thread: Whatever happened to these Kiwi Single Seater racing oddities...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    1. Dennis Smith's Spider had no connection with the Valours. I believe some of its components were later used in a sportscar, which Smith held onto for a long time. Whether or not he still has it, I don't know
    Bob beat me to it on that one

2. The Katipo was rebuilt as a sportcar, then as a single-seater again - but now called a Matich - and raced by Robbie Booth in the 1975/76 season. It was then pensioned off for hillclimb use, first by Dennis Phillips and later by Russell Greer, who won the 1980 hillclimb Gold Star with it. Again, nothing definite known of it since - it may have returned to Australia

3. Ross Williams called his car the Alross. It was built using the engine, transaxle and some suspension parts from the AML, itself a one-off F5000 car. The AML had in an earlier incarnation been the Begg-Daimler (and is again now)

Thanks for that update Bob and Dave, very interesting. One other question though regarding Dennis Smith of the "Spider" outboard motor fame. Was this the same Dennis Smith that went on to drive one of Valour Formula Fords in the 1972-73? season and was involved in the somewhat interesting Valour racing car operation. I seem to recall the government of the time changed the tax codes or something like this, which unfortunately put this promising local race car constuction company effectively out of business. The only other Valour I recall was the Formula Junior car that Jim Boyd drove in the 1963-64 season I think? This is the one that the steering wheel came off at Waimate, causing Boyd to hit the hay bales...

Dave the 'Katipo/Matich' car was in Timaru for many years with Dave Morrison, I remember it being converted to look like a modern wing/sidpod car at Vaughan Motors by Dads car yard in Church Street in the mid 80's, saw Dave this year and he told me John Gobbe in ChCh has all the remains, I may be wrong but I think Dave had a new chassis fabricated and the original Matich one was scrapped on his farm!

Cheers
    Nigel Barclay

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    1. Dennis Smith's Spider had no connection with the Valours. I believe some of its components were later used in a sportscar, which Smith held onto for a long time. Whether or not he still has it, I don't know
    Bob beat me to it on that one

2. The Katipo was rebuilt as a sportcar, then as a single-seater again - but now called a Matich - and raced by Robbie Booth in the 1975/76 season. It was then pensioned off for hillclimb use, first by Dennis Phillips and later by Russell Greer, who won the 1980 hillclimb Gold Star with it. Again, nothing definite known of it since - it may have returned to Australia

3. Ross Williams called his car the Alross. It was built using the engine, transaxle and some suspension parts from the AML, itself a one-off F5000 car. The AML had in an earlier incarnation been the Begg-Daimler (and is again now)

Semi-Pro Racer
    I know John still has this car but say's its a real Matich, so I guess when you say it enough it will become true! John has a lot of old cars "worth a fortune" but one mans junk!!!
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Barclay View Post
    Dave the 'Katipo/Matich' car was in Timaru for many years with Dave Morrison, I remember it being converted to look like a modern wing/sidpod car at Vaughan Motors by Dads car yard in Church Street in the mid 80's, saw Dave this year and he told me John Gobbe in ChCh has all the remains, I may be wrong but I think Dave had a new chassis fabricated and the original Matich one was scrapped on his farm!

Cheers
    Nigel Barclay

Hi rog, if john thinks he got a real matich, then he must be blind, look up Katipo in the search bar for discussion on it.

Hi Nigel, Dave also sold original chassis to john as well, very worst for wear, but all there.the new chassis Dave built , although a work of art in itself, looked nothing like the katipo.