Thread: Whatever happened to these Kiwi Single Seater racing oddities...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    The FJ Valour and later FF Valours were the work of Trevor Larsen in Huntly.

I don't recall a Dennis Smith being involved, but Dennis Martin did race one

The Dennis Smith Spider must have been around 1965. Here is one of many photos I took shortly before it destroyed itself and nearly destroyed Dennis on the Pukekohe backstraight. This photo was published in NZ Hot Rod in 1970, fortunately, because I have none of the others now.

I think the Spider is still owned by Dennis Smith in sports cars guise - like a mini Canam car. I last saw it a few years ago at the Chelsea hillclimb where it was very noisy but wasn't running cleanly.
    The remains of the Valour FJ car are owned by Nigel Russell although some bits are apparently still in Wellington somewhere. A restoration is planned sometime .....

I bought a Valour roller plus various jigs and moulds from Dennis Martin in the early 80s, also aquired a Lotus 69 then sold the Valour ensemble to someone I can't recall now.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    The FJ Valour and later FF Valours were the work of Trevor Larsen in Huntly.

I don't recall a Dennis Smith being involved, but Dennis Martin did race one