Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sidchrome Mustang, Baypark

This was the Xmas Baypark meeting when JR brought over his new Winfield sponsored Falcon and had the epic battle with Leo in PDL ll. In this photo Leo had just pulled off the track with a faulty battery switch, note the PDL truck in the pits in the background that we were told had 2 spare engines in the front part up above the cab! I think that this was one of the meetings where I towed the siddy to the track in my 3 axle trailer sleeper behind my Cobra (pic2) that I then ran in Production muscle cars and the scrutineers made me take off the tow ball ha ha.

Name:  sid bp.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  144.7 KBName:  cob bp1.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  98.0 KB

I can remember as a kid going to Sandown about 1976? for a round of the ASSC and even then Jim was regarded as a "rain master"

Its a pity he never went overseas ....no doubt he would have been picked by a factory race team for enduro sports car racers.

Cool shot of the Cobra George

Lovely resto George!

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    George,
    Fantastic restoration. Glad to see you kept it for 30 odd years. It's a shame Sidchrome would not sponsor the mustang as it would have had a great spin off for their tools (Glad you tried). But your name fits in real well and looks better any way, and you deserve all the credit.

Here is a later shot of the siddy on my self built transporter after a race meeting at Baypark. It was Sunday afternoon and one of my cuzzys had a batch on the foreshore at the mount so we called in on the way home and had a barbie and some rum and cokes with them before the long haul back to Auckland that night.

Name:  siddy.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  107.2 KBName:  siddy2.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  105.3 KBName:  siddy3.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  78.2 KB

Sheweiry Cobra Baypark

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Cool shot of the Cobra George
    Another Cobra shot you won't have seen George

Name:  Sheweiry Cobra.JPG
Views: 1849
Size:  100.2 KB

That transporter is the business!

Ross That is such an awesome shot, there is no denying those Cobras are one of the prettiest cars ever built. Would it be possible for me to come have a look at your photo collection some time as I dont have a lot myself and there are several shots of yours that I would love to purchase if thats ok. sheweiry@slingshot.co.nz or 0274949658 George.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Another Cobra shot you won't have seen George

Name:  Sheweiry Cobra.JPG
Views: 1849
Size:  100.2 KB

Same corner different car, the mustang I replaced the sidchrome with after MANZ changed the rules for Sports sedans and put an end to my 1/2 built Detomaso Pantera

Name:  siddy3 001.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  51.2 KBPhoto by stew wood
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 08-28-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Question for you George. In post 62, you have that lovely shot of your Cobra at Baypark and in the background there is a blue and white capri which appears to be left hand drive ? Could that possibly be the Norris Miles car ?
    Cheers
    Tony

Well Tony, I think it is good old Norrises RS2600 but I think he might have already left for England by that time, if I get a chance I still have all the programs from every meeting I ran at so I could check to see who is driving. It was a beautiful car that, and he had great battles with Bruce Mclean in the Castrol GTX series. Norris worked for Mcmillan ford in the parts department and he was very helpful to me not only with parts but also with helping solve problems with the cars I was running at the time

Semi-Pro Racer
    I believe he is here in Aus now and his son is racing a Formula Ford in Victoria. I have fond memories of racing slot cars with Norris when I was only about 13 or 14 years old. Paul Curin was another that raced the slotcars with us. Man were they serious about it.
    Loving the pics you are posting. So many memories of the good old days with real cars and real drivers.
    Regards
    Tony

Yes you are right Tony, now and then I bump into one of his old pit crew Terry and he had told me Norris had been living in the land of the emus for a while now and that he had come over to NZ and caught up with quite a few people not too long ago. I think he used to have Curins for cars on the side of the capri. I have a picture somewhere of his Orange XU1 in amongst the pine tree stumps at the end of the Baypark back straight after I think he had a brake failure or something. Do you remember the ex John Goss GTHO he brought to NZ and JR hopped in it at the Glenvale 200 at Baypark and hauled off into the distance and was only stopped by a faulty distributor! Yes your right about the memories.

George, Rod Millen ran the Capri in GTX when Norris owned it as well.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sure do remember the HO. I was lucky enough to have a ride in it when the late Brian Bowater had it. Scared the cr.p out of me. lol

Semi-Pro Racer
    Pic Courtesy Old Race Photos...

McLeod Ford signage.
    Its at Bay Park I think
    Some "Remains" of car are still in NZ

Last edited by Ellis; 09-01-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Pic Courtesy Old Race Photos...

McLeod Ford signage.
    Its at Bay Park I think
    Some "Remains" of car are still in NZ

what did become of this car?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Remains still NZ a few years ago (2004)....owner been going to "restore" it . Told me he had car for 15 years in 2004.
    He had some good enquiries / offers from Oz HO collectors about when prices peaked but wouldnt sell the bits.
    Goss even enquired re owner contact details about 2009 ? when he was in Tas for a Power from Past meeting at Symmons Plains.