Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

World Champion
    Roger,
    Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing.
    I can imagine he was fun to be with and had a good sense of humour like you.
    With kindest regards,
    Ken H

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing.
    I can imagine he was fun to be with and had a good sense of humour like you.
    With kindest regards,
    Ken H
    Thanks Ken,

He was a motoring enthusiast since the 1930's and still interested, I would visit him in the rest home with another Car magazine " Classic " type and he would sit and read, to the extent that his lovely wife Una would say " Ed, we've got visitors ", I always said it is OK they can keep as the article are about old cars, so wouldn't even be a recent magazine. he loved them.
    Recently I was in touch with the family that bought his very special SD1 Rover a Vitesse Van den Plas with Walkinshaw modifications, one of only two in NZ, Told Ed and he was pleased to know the car was still around - Ed sold it in the mid 1990's.

This car ; here with a P4 owned by the same family
    Name:  Rover P4 and SD1 Timaru Ed's SD1 615 (800x496).jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  96.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-04-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Eddie Dowding the NSCC Man and some of his cars

A couple of cars that Ed either owned or were his mates so he travelled in them, they did a lot of touring back in those days.
    This one the 1930 Austin Seven which Ed and my Dad Mac modified with the raked windscreen, cut down doors [ like an MG ] and a modified exhaust, straight through pipe with small copper tubes inserted, apparently made a lovely sound.
    Here at Mt Messenger, picture by the other guy in the second Car Unsure who the person on the left is, could be Win Bristow who did those sketches at Ardmore GP in 1954/56.
    My Dad Mac [ 1917 - 1999 ] in the middle and Ed [ 1919 - 2018 ] on the right, both with Pipes.

Name:  Family Austin 7 Ed and Mac and Mate 1939 Mt Messenger copy.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  140.4 KB

With some mates in Russell in 1941 ; His Mates car - Ed in the middle - A Lea-Francis !!
    See note below from Trevor Sheffield - A Fiat 509

Name:  Family Ed and Mates 1941 russell.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  161.2 KB

Photo's from Ed Dowding archives, courtesy his son [my cousin ] John Dowding.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-08-2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Roger, I think that the car looks like a Fiat 509 rather than a Lea-Francis, going by the shape of the radiator and badge also in particular, the alloy covered generator driven from the front of the crank.

P.S. After posting as above I googled regarding the Le-Francis and am convinced that I am correct. My first car was a special which I built based on a Fiat 509, so that I know the car well.

[QUOTE With some mates in Russell in 1941 ; His Mates car - Ed in the middle - A Lea-Francis !! [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-07-2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: PS added.

FIAT or LEAF [ Lea Francis ] ??..

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Roger, I think that the car looks like a Fiat 509 rather than a Lea-Francis, going by the shape of the radiator and badge also in particular, the alloy covered generator driven from the front of the crank.

P.S. After posting as above I googled regarding the Le-Francis and am convinced that I am correct. My first car was a special which I built based on a Fiat 509, so that I know the car well.

[QUOTE With some mates in Russell in 1941 ; His Mates car - Ed in the middle - A Lea-Francis !!
    [/QUOTE]

Trevor, thank you for sharing your knowledge ; The car was identified as a Fiat 509 on another forum when I posted the photo, so your confirmation helps. The note about the Alloy Cover, something I had not noticed.
    Sadly, cannot ask the Man in the photo, Eddie Dowding. My Cousin Ed's son John was trying to identify the people also.

World Champion
    Roger,
    The Fiat 509 was a good looking machine.
    Name:  Fiat 509.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  157.9 KB

Ken H

NSCC Hillclimb 1956

Another Gem from Graham Woods the NSCC Hillclimb of 1956, some great names.
    Have established that Wairamarama would be the Wairamarama Onewhero Road, near Glen Murray, home of the Roycrofts back in the day,
    - others may no more of the events,
    - a bit before my time was only 9 then and still on a trike trolley or scooter, although did have a few Dinky Cars !

Name:  NSCC the early years 1956 Wairamarama Hillclimb results G Woods 27062018.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  64.0 KB

NSCC Motorsport Day 28 January 1978 a Summary

Reposting some of the information as a new Item has come to light !!

The Programme and Regulations Book - the Cover. It had the Trial Instructions in it as posted before ;
    Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day #1 1978 Front Cover Programme and Regs  07-05-2015 02;23;43PM.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  46.8 KB
    Rod Peat entered an RX3 but not this one - The event was just before Rod and Judy Peat went to the UK.

The Officials
    Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day #2 1978 The Officials and Programme times  07-05-2015 02;26;22PM.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  43.8 KB

The list of Entrants
    Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 #4 p2 List of drivers CCI21122015_0001 (562x800) (1).jpg
Views: 875
Size:  117.8 KB

Class and overall results
    Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 #5 Class and overall results points CCI21122015 (564x800) (1).jpg
Views: 847
Size:  97.3 KB

The Final Results and Times
    Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 #3 Times and final results CCI22122015 (780x550) (1).jpg
Views: 849
Size:  114.8 KB

The Trophy presented to Peter Levet - he still has it - photo Milan Fistonic who visited Peter recently
    Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 The Trophy to Peter Levet M Fistonic CCI21122015.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  59.3 KB

The GT6 and I got 4th in the Trial [ex-wife as navigator ] 8th in the Hillclimb at Cosseys and 9th Overall.
    One of the best days Motorsport I ever had, don't think they ever did it again.

NSCC Brochure from the 1970's ? thanks to Milan Fistonic

A introductory Brochure for Northern Sports Car Club - Date not known but has 6 digit phone numbers so guessing 1970's
    The Clubrooms are shown [ built in 1972 ] and there is mention of the Benson and Hedges 500 Race
    The Club Circuit still in use too !!

Name:  NSCC #92 Brochure page 1 M Fistonic img574 (3) (388x800) copy.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  NSCC #93 Brochure page 2 3 M Fistonic img575 (3) (623x640) copy.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  172.8 KB

Name:  NSCC #94 Brochure page 4 M Fistonic img576 (3) (374x800) copy.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  NSCC #95 Brochure page 5 6 M Fistonic img577 (3) (527x550) copy.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  164.7 KB

Many thanks to Milan Fistonic for this piece of NSCC History;
    Will make a correction if date becomes known !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-14-2018 at 04:17 AM.

World Champion
    Roger,
    I thought of you when one of the lads brought his dad's TR 4 into Moss Motors, Goleta, CA, today.
    That is my BMW wagon in the background with the door open as I rushed to get this taken before the "gawkers" arrived !
    Name:  20180815_162945.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  20180815_163035.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  TR 4 A..being driven as it should..Go Roger.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  129.1 KB

Cheers mate.
    Ken H
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-16-2018 at 05:17 PM.

TR4 and that TR4A .. Thanks Ken H ..

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    I thought of you when one of the lads brought his dad's TR 4 into Moss Motors, Goleta, CA, today.
    That is my BMW wagon in the background with the door open as I rushed to get this taken before the "gawkers" arrived !
    Name:  20180815_162945.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  20180815_163035.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  TR 4 A..being driven as it should..Go Roger.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  129.1 KB

Cheers mate.
    Ken H
    Love it Ken H .. my car still has the Rego number but is on the hold list [ see below ]
    - you can keep the Registration Number if the car is being rebuilt /restored or suspended for other reasons - not being used etc..
    Could find out who owns but costs a bit.
    Just waiting to win the Big Lotto, so I can by it back, plus tidy up the MX5 too.. not sure what " Her indoors " will say. Think would need to buy her a big gift too !!. Having three cars would be a bit much. Ask ERC - he has six and I know you have at least two BMW and Mini-Cooper, any more ??

Name:  TR4A Roger Dowding- July 2018 Rego details Carjam J Vevers .jpg
Views: 695
Size:  31.4 KB

Cheers to you too !!
    Roger D

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Here's a report on a1949 NSCC event won by Gordon Brown in his Special.

Attachment 34313
    Attachment 34314
    Attachment 34315
    Just looking at this report on the 1949 Winter Trial - The " Jack Boot Memorial Trophy " Trial for Northern Sports car Club and noticed an error ??
    The first photo is the ** Gordon Brown Ford 10 based Special and not J Aitken, who would be Jock Aitken, mechanic and mate of both Eddie Dowding the former Club Captain and President of NSCC in 1945 -46 and my father Mac Dowding who was the clubs Auditor for a time in the 1950's
    Laurie Powell in his Ford B4 with V8 power too in the results.
    The article from Milan Fistonic amazing archives
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-29-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: re-correction *** T Sheffield ### 47 ..

Fiat 509

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Just looking at this report on the 1949 Winter Trial - The " Jack Boot Memorial Trophy " Trial for Northern Sports car Club and noticed an error ??
    The first photo is the Gordon Brown Ford 10 based Special and not J Aitken, who would be Jock Aitken, mechanic and mate of both Eddie Dowding the former Club Captain and President of NSCC in 1945 -46 and my father Mac Dowding who was the clubs Auditor for a time in the 1950's
    Laurie Powell in his Ford B4 with V8 power too in the results.
    The article from Milan Fistonic amazing archives
    Roger, I am unable to detect any error, please explain..

J Aitken (Jock) was the second NSCC member to build a Ford Ten Special, immediately after Gordon Brown and his car was built to a higher standard of finish but, lacked the two speed Ford T diff fitted to Brown's car which put it at a disadvantage.

As a Mechanic he operated a one man garage in a shed in a quite conspicuous situation on the left side of a right hand bend after coming down Grafton Road from Symonds Street. No longer in existence as a result of the motorway. It was a very tidy workshop in contrast to that operated by George Smith and he was popular with the taxi fraternity. As I recall he went on to build a Ford V8 Special. Like Brown he often drove his Ford Ten Special as a road car for business purposes.

In later years Ron Roycroft used to acquire a Model T Ford special for the event, which he won until the occasion when I beat him driving my AC V8. "The Winter Trial" was a the officially designated title, but all and sundry referred to it as "The Mud Trial".

Ford 10 Special - Jock Aitken's and Gordon Brown's .. a correction

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Roger, I am unable to detect any error, please explain..

J Aitken (Jock) was the second NSCC member to build a Ford Ten Special, immediately after Gordon Brown and his car was built to a higher standard of finish but, lacked the two speed Ford T diff fitted to Brown's car which put it at a disadvantage.

As a Mechanic he operated a one man garage in a shed in a quite conspicuous situation on the left side of a right hand bend after coming down Grafton Road from Symonds Street. No longer in existence as a result of the motorway. It was a very tidy workshop in contrast to that operated by George Smith and he was popular with the taxi fraternity. As I recall he went on to build a Ford V8 Special. Like Brown he often drove his Ford Ten Special as a road car for business purposes.

In later years Ron Roycroft used to acquire a Model T Ford special for the event, which he won until the occasion when I beat him driving my AC V8. "The Winter Trial" was a the officially designated title, but all and sundry referred to it as "The Mud Trial".

As mentioned elsewhere Jock serviced my first car in 1967, after being introduced by Mac Dowding - my Dad - at the garage in as you mention " Grafton Road from Symonds Street. No longer in existence as a result of the motorway "
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-19-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: comment removed Car is G Brown's

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Trevor, wasn't aware that Jock's car Ford 10 special looked similar to Gordons, my error - will correct - thanks for the information.
    As mentioned elsewhere Jock serviced my first car in 1967, after being intorduced by Mac Dowding - my Dad - at the garage in as you mention " Grafton Road from Symonds Street. No longer in existence as a result of the motorway "
    Sorry my bad. Did not see the caption to the photos which is incorrect. Jock's car was not the same as Gordon's

The Club Meeting held by the NSCC at Ardmore the week following the NZ Grand Prix.

Name:  img971 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  171.1 KB

NSCC Hillclimb at Ostrich Farm Road in October 1960.

Name:  img976 (2).jpg
Views: 586
Size:  125.5 KB

Milan Fistonic - a big thank you for your posts

Milan, your archives are amazing Thank You .. as an aside my Uncle Ed [ Eddie ] Dowding would have been 99 last Sunday RIP Ed Dowding [ 14 October 1917 2nd May 2018 ] - he loved seeing much of your stuff - used to show him the Roaring Season posts or copied some of your post and E-mailed them to him.
    Ed was the NSCC President 1945-46 year and had been Club Captain the year before.

The NSCC " Winter Trial " - as Trevor Sheffield has noted was also the Jack Boot Memorial Trophy Trial - Jack was Ed's brother in law .. Trevor is nearly 90 !!
    This was the 1949 event and is mentioned in the Scott Thomson biography of Ron Roycroft -" Up to Speed "
    Name:  Ed and Una's Riley with others Helensville Mud Trial 1949 . 17-05-2015 02;03;24PM.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  162.5 KB

Great pic Roger, Its great to read the history.
    Also agree, Milan always amazes me with what he has and shares with his posts
    Cheers

NSCC meeting at Ardmore - November 1959.

Name:  img233 (2).jpg
Views: 547
Size:  148.0 KB