Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: wheres all the pre65 pics??. from the heydays, lets have em fellas

Now how about the windscreen banner in post #39

I'll leave Grant to comment on that. Was many moon ago and I would guess that many sponsors are no longer around for one reason or another.

Ok , Allan Hubbard started off in Timaru as a chartered accountant then soon became the founder of S C F .... Ernie was the first to give him all his car dealer business from selling cars to finance his clients , a bit like MTF to day .
    Any way to show appreciation Allan sponsored most of the B&H cars plus a few more , he would tip in a bit which was alway appreciated not a lot this was many moons ago that helped me in the mustang , as for my deal on the Mustang it was one set of dot rated tryes.
    My main sponsor was a local business man & was the main man & is a very close friend & helped hugely for the BMW, anglia,s & Mustang.
    Allan I feel is not here to defend him self , his wheel got huge & put others there to steer it [same ole same ole got a speed wooble PERHAPS I dont know for sure ] Allan is [was] a very humble man & very respected by Timaru , S.C & our family ......I wont judge as he is not hear to defend him self & im not into politics but I do know they lock up innocent men & the murderers some times go free
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 03-29-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Here is a shot of Grant's white Anglia during a Wellington street race. As you can see he is trying. That Armco is pretty close and very unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    The Datsun is not a Pre 65 with the B110 coming about in 1970 - even the first sunny the B10 was 1966-69. Now a bluebird 410/411 would be Pre65 as these models were 1963-67. I believe the 410/411 was the first Nissan/Datsun to be assembled here in NZ

Love watching the youtube in car from the Rush IMP aka 77.
    Hi guys, thanks for all the great pics, love the ha viva, there used to be a bluebird run in the s.i series when I was running in it,1986,87, his name was ross melhopt from chch, might be some pics of it somewhere.and yes grant, your right, I love some of the colour schemes going on.

Paul not sure about the bluebird , but the little HA Viva I remember when it first came to light in the NI a guy by the name of Grant Thompson decided to build it to the pre 65 regs etc , a really nice chap from Waiuku , Grant really struggled with this car .
    I use to support his ups & downs when we were running the anglias , I know he appreciated the moral input as most of us were so busy doing our own thing , as you might know when you take off in one of these cars the rear end usually lifts up & not squat down like a a normal car , some how Billy [coby mufflers] re kindled it & got it to go a bit better...........

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Paul not sure about the bluebird , but the little HA Viva I remember when it first came to light in the NI a guy by the name of Grant Thompson decided to build it to the pre 65 regs etc , a really nice chap from Waiuku , Grant really struggled with this car .
    I use to support his ups & downs when we were running the anglias , I know he appreciated the moral input as most of us were so busy doing our own thing , as you might know when you take off in one of these cars the rear end usually lifts up & not squat down like a a normal car , some how Billy [coby mufflers] re kindled it & got it to go a bit better...........
    Hi again grant, yeah, my ha used to do the same, was preety quick off the mark, id get a few cars off the line, and then they would all go past again on the back straight.
    wasnt the fastest car, but shit, I had some fun in it, still trying to post pics of the ol girl.
    I even won the c class championship in it in1988, hehe, but there were only 4 carsin the c class then.
    does he still own hisviva?

I would guess if a 410 bluebird was to run it would have been an ss spec car with twin carbs and the r series engine from the fairlady roadster not the j13 that was installed in the standard models. R series would have been 1600cc and it should have been competitive against the likes of the cortina's etc. The 410 was styled by Pininfarina too.
    Mike L

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Ok , Allan Hubbard started off in Timaru as a chartered accountant then soon became the founder of S C F .... Ernie was the first to give him all his car dealer business from selling cars to finance his clients , a bit like MTF to day .
    Any way to show appreciation Allan sponsored most of the B&H cars plus a few more , he would tip in a bit which was alway appreciated not a lot this was many moons ago that helped me in the mustang , as for my deal on the Mustang it was one set of dot rated tryes.
    My main sponsor was a local business man & was the main man & is a very close friend & helped hugely for the BMW, anglia,s & Mustang.
    Allan I feel is not here to defend him self , his wheel got huge & put others there to steer it [same ole same ole got a speed wooble PERHAPS I dont know for sure ] Allan is [was] a very humble man & very respected by Timaru , S.C & our family ......I wont judge as he is not hear to defend him self & im not into politics but I do know they lock up innocent men & the murderers some times go free
    Very well said Grant, always wondered if it was the old story of "pilot error" when the guy is not around.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Very well said Grant, always wondered if it was the old story of "pilot error" when the guy is not around.
    Hi ol fart, yes hubbard was a good kind man, and put alot of people on there feet, and was a generous man, lived in a old house, n drove a clapped out vw.
    he put to much trust in the greedy men under him, who steered the ship there own way.
    I guess we will wait and see what happens in court,3 wise, or unwise men currently before the judge.

Here are a few more of Grant Sprague's photos that he is keen to share. The three Anglia's were all built up by Grant and most of those in the photo are still involved in motorsport. The other shots are of the Mustang of which Grant is particularly proud. The photo taken in the Sprague workshop was taken around 1968 and Grant was just a teenager but loved the hype involved in motorsport. He will add some more detail to thes shots.

Here are a couple more shots taken of the Mustang at various circuits around NZ

First pic #52 Coppins Mustang 141 (could be just after Riley bought it) Barry Phillips Lotus Cortina 86, Bruce McLean Lotus Cortina 121 ? and of course Sprague Anglia.
    Ernie looking in front of Phillips engine bay, is that you Grant to right of him.

First pic #52 my guess, Coppins Mustang 141, Barry Phillips Lotus Cortina 86, John Ward Lotus Cortina 121 ? and of course Sprague Anglia.
    Ernie looking in front of Phillips engine bay, is that you Grant to right of him.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-06-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Yep Rod about 13 yrs old beside my Dad ........ Hey umm re the 3 anglias I didn't build them the first Anglia in recent pik came from timaru was a good car but we extended it that white & blue car was good for about 1,10 at bay park I sold it to Jeff Short...... the little chap under his wing is Marty Short ..... the yellow Anglia was built up by Cooky [Paul Cookson]] a good [friend ]& mechanic now with Ebbits Holden the car was underdeveloped so managed to get it off Cooky , we got that car to fly with down port etc got it down to 1.7,s bay park , the chap with the long dark hair is Kevin Bann [owner of Kelford Cams ] I think Kev just sold any way he is a clever boy [horse power ] he also built the 289 engines for our mustang , the blue & white Anglia belonged to Alby Collier he is seen here just behind Jeff Short .......Alby was instrumental in helping Gary & Leo win ANZ series plus B &H , I am the turkey leaning on Alby,s l/F guard .

Rod, this photo would be one of the last times John Ward raced the #121 Cortina in NZ as he was killed in the car at Catalina Park, NSW later in `68 when both him and Rod took their cars over to race.

Yea, was going to mention that Steve, but was not sure of dates, I can still remember the news coming over the radio about John Ward accident and it kind of numbed you for awhile, as you did not expect saloon guys to die. He was great to watch.

Think it had a impact on Rod for awhile as they were very close.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yea, was going to mention that Steve, but was not sure of dates, I can still remember the news coming over the radio about John Ward accident and it kind of numbed you for awhile, as you did not expect saloon guys to die. He was great to watch.

Think it had a impact on Rod for awhile as they were very close.
    A photo from that sad day here :-
    R. Coppins Mustang passing J. Ward s fatal crash - Catalina Park Katoomba 1968

Wow, never seen that pic before, terrible thing for Rod. From memory John Ward either didn't have a belt, or just had a diagonal belt and came out the front window when it rolled. I saw Barry Thomasen's crash at Bay Park in the Brabham and he came half-out when it rolled as well, pretty sure from then on belts became compulsory.