Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    I see Chris Chiles got 3rd, he raced his Anglia in our 60's saloon group at Amon earlier this year!! living the dream them boys are!! oh well.

Dale Mathers
    that was actually Chris Chiles junior. Chris has been persevering with that car since 2007. 2011 was juniors first drive. He has been shaming bigger and faster cars with their Chevron B8. And drove a tidy race indeed!

Any help with these three shots I have found:

Semi-Pro Racer
    Going way way back in history here, Laurie. Here's my guesswork -

Top picture looks like Pat Hoare's RA-Vauxhall, at Mairehau(?1951?) judging by rural background. Next one is Hec Green's RA-Wolseley (RA 1 - Wolseley special?) at Ohakea I think - the hexagonal concrete slabs don't look like Wigram. Last one George Smith's earlier GCS or Ford V8 Special at Ohakea same reason. Whenuapai still had some of those hexagonal slabs until very recently when they started rebuilding all the runways - must date from about 1935!

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think you're sport on with all IDs, Stu

Some nomenclature issues though. Green's car was never known in period as anything but Wolseley Special - 'RA1' was applied retrospectively around 1990. Nor was Smith's 1950 car a GeeCeeEss, it was simply entered as a 'Ford Special'

All three cars had distinguished South Island careers. The RA Vauxhall became the RA Zephyr and then the 260M Zephyr Special, the Wolseley Special morphed into Wally Darrell's first ACE Special and the Smith Ford was raced in a variety of forms by Frank Shuter

260M currently looks a bit sad after the Skope!
    Wasn't Gee Cee Ess later too? GCS?

Semi-Pro Racer
    The GeeCeeEss (that's what was painted on the side) first appeared in 1951, a year after the car Smith raced at Ohakea in the picture above

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    The GeeCeeEss (that's what was painted on the side) first appeared in 1951, a year after the car Smith raced at Ohakea in the picture above
    Resolved for good!
    The hex slabs were still at Ohakea when I raced other things there in about 1994.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 02-12-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Hay YOU guys you have gone ALL SILENT JAMIE A

Jamie, you must have some black and whites hidden away. Or colour will do.

World Champion
    Who? Jamie A. What? Steinlager in hand. Where ? Phillip Island March 2012

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Who? Jamie A. What? Steinlager in hand. Where ? Phillip Island March 2012
    I have had a quiet word to Jamie and he assures me it will be VB

Yes boys off on thur to the HOWL of F1 that is where the action is it is A noise one needs to have at least once A year to stay HEALTHY Jamie A

Name:  cars,race,drivers 001.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  77.1 KB
    Ok where, what cars and when. Bonus point for each of the drivers.
    Photo courtesy of Auto News from.......nearly got me to give you a hint but only Alan Dick would know. Chris Read - Arrowtown.
    Ps is AD a member of this forum lurking under a blog name? serious question.

1955 Bira Whithead Gaze Hunt L Davidson Brabham Redex Pos Palmer no9

Semi-Pro Racer
    Front row of the grid: 1 Bira (250F), 4 Gaze (3-litre Ferrari)
    Second row 2 Whitehead (3-litre Ferrari), 3 Hunt (Maserati A6GCM/250), 77 Davison (HWM-Jaguar), 9 Palmer (Palmer Special), 6 Cobden (s/c Ferrari V12) plus Bira's OSCA

Chris - I don't think AD's hiding under another name here. He doesn't bother with internet forums (though I wouldn't be surprised if he's sneaked the odd look)

Banned
    The evil Sid did start of with the supercharged 3.8-litre Jag engine from Jamie's Cooper-Jag, replaced later with a fuel-injected 4.7 Ford
    David,

Probably the thing I'll most remember Jamie for: I know you're still alive Jamie! But who on God's earth would use a Morris Isis as a tow car"? More so, one powered by a Ford V6! The Isis was a horrible bloody thing to start with but why put a Ford V6 IN IT?

You probably deserve a Knighthood but you probably wouldn't wear it. At least that's what your seventeen sons & twenty four daughters reckon.

Banned
    Front row of the grid: 1 Bira (250F), 4 Gaze (3-litre Ferrari)
    Second row 2 Whitehead (3-litre Ferrari), 3 Hunt (Maserati A6GCM/250), 77 Davison (HWM-Jaguar), 9 Palmer (Palmer Special), 6 Cobden (s/c Ferrari V12) plus Bira's OSCA

Chris - I don't think AD's hiding under another name here. He doesn't bother with internet forums (though I wouldn't be surprised if he's sneaked the odd look)
    McKinney! You've missed one out. The Ford Z: Name the driver and I'll worship you at the Holy Motorsport Altar. On the other hand I might just wait until you visit the "Wailing Wall" and throw stones at you.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It's a Consul, isn't it? Owned by Bill Smith
    (Well it might have been)

World Champion
    It's a Consul, isn't it? Owned by Bill Smith
    (Well it might have been)

Yo Russ on Behalf of all my grand kids I thank you for your kind words,?? And it was A 1956 Morris Oxford with the v6 3 lt Ford went lilke stink but would not stop evan worse with the car behind on the big towey thing, ?? Jamie A