Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ian "Red" Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I thought the DeKon Monza 1001 was still in Monza form, though much modified and with very little left of the original car, although Rowan Harman (aussiemonza) would know for sure.
    The DeKon 1001 is still in Monza form. I haven't seen it for many years but from memory, the roof, A and C pillars are still intact but the DeKon chassis was replaced by a K&A version back in the early '80s.

The Monza that was re-bodied as a Saab was the Siedel Monza.
    Last edited by aussiemonza; 12-07-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I have a photo taken from Motor Action magazine of the Dawson Monza flying through the air with bits flying off during this last , dramatic crash at Manfield.
    I will copy it and post it when I have found it.
    How and where did Art McKee get hold of a similar DeKon Monza about the same time as Dawson ?? I recall it had a lovely paint job.
    An article I recently read quoted Jim Richards saying that , as a young fella just starting out in motorsport he was racing against Dawson in a saloon car race and when Richards had the chance to pass Dawson " Red looked over at me as I passed and promptly moved over on me until I was off the track on the grass ! " When Jim approached Red after the race and asked for a please explain , Red just said " No young fella is going to make a name for himself by passing Red Dawson "
    Yep - a hard man
    Art McKee's Monza is a Grant King built car that had its race debut alongside DeKon 1001 at Road Atlanta. Just waiting for some other issues to get sorted and I will be back to the resto...

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks for the info Rowan.
    I have some 16mm film footage of the car in the pits at Baypark in '76.
    Although I was only 10 at the time I recall the superb sound that both Dawson's and the McKee Monza made.
    The lovely deep silver colour and stripes of the McKee Monza looked superb.
    As a kid , the size and width of the rear wheels blew my mind
    Amazing for "little old NZ" to have 2 rare DeKon Monza's racing at the same time in 76
    Do you own the McKee car ??

Although I was only 10 at the time I recall the superb sound that both Dawson's and the McKee Monza made.
    Amazing for "little old NZ" to have 2 rare DeKon Monza's racing at the same time in 76

Got photo somewhere will post

At Bay Park
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Later at Manfield, there are those rear tyres.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Journeyman Racer
    What a stunning looking car ! Thanks for the photo's Rod

Hi Jeff,

I do have the King (McKee Monza). Resto has started but not much to see at the moment. The car will be returned as in Rod's photo's below as the last Tom Nehl - first McKee livery (Big Apple Racing - Sebring 1976) Do you have any plans to put the 16mm film onto a disc? Chat Soon, Rowan (CCR)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    At Bay Park
    Great shots Rod. Your photo's show the metalic blue as a much brighter hue than in other images I have of the Monza. That will be the the tone I will be using, similar to Mazda 3 or Hi-Lux bright metalic blue, I haven't chased up the paint codes yet. Not getting too far off topic but Warren (Wazza) Bruce, who painted the McKee car in the Holbert colours, is over here in Aus and will be doing the paint on the car for the resto.
    Last edited by aussiemonza; 12-10-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Rowan- I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say that you and your car would be welcomed with open arms to an Invited Historic Sports Sedan race meeting here in NZ

Journeyman Racer
    Yes Rowan , In the next month or 2 I will have the film professionally transferred to DVD.
    It's such a shame the film is silent but 16mm TV camera's of the day had massive sound recorders that required an extra person ( ! ) to carry and record sound.
    How times have changed.
    There isn't a lot of footage of your fabulous Monza but there is some. It was a stunning looking car.
    I'm so glad you are restoring it to it's former glory.
    I will send you a message as soon as the disk is done
    Kind regards
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I do have the King (McKee Monza). Resto has started but not much to see at the moment. The car will be returned as in Rod's photo's below as the last Tom Nehl - first McKee livery (Big Apple Racing - Sebring 1976) Do you have any plans to put the 16mm film onto a disc? Chat Soon, Rowan (CCR)

Journeyman Racer
    Hi Guys
    I have put a link to a rough copy of that '76 BayPark film footage on the Labour Weekend & BayPark Thread .
    Enjoy - sorry about the fact it's silent film. Remember this is only a low - res copy.

Jeff

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch

Laurence Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I believe this is Reds old Camaro
    Yes this is when Christchurchs Laurence Bruce owned and raced the car witch was always immaculately presented in black and gold

When / where did Red Dawson have his big accident in the ex Matich Brabham?

Was the car a writeoff?

Semi-Pro Racer

Red Dawson's ex-Matich Brabham BT4

Did Red have a big accident in the Brabham?

I think it was Barry Thomasen. Red sold the car in mid-1969 to Bill Thomasen, whose young(19 or 20 y-o) son Barry drove it in late 1969 at Pukekohe and Bay Park, where he had a very big accident, destroying the car and almost himself, too, surviving serious spinal injuries but as a paraplegic.

According to Graham Vercoe's book, the usable parts of the car went to several different owners.

Stu

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Where is Red dawsons Camaro now ?????. I believe the Camaro is down deep south island, who owns this fantastic car now after Laurence Bruces ownership was it sold complete with the chevy engine.I hope we can see some photos of it in its current shape and a story about it future.

We would all love to hear and see this car back on the track or whats happened to it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Kelvin Towns, Dunedin. Have not seen Kelvin for a few years, but keep hearing stories that he is working on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Did Red have a big accident in the Brabham?

I think it was Barry Thomasen. Red sold the car in mid-1969 to Bill Thomasen, whose young(19 or 20 y-o) son Barry drove it in late 1969 at Pukekohe and Bay Park, where he had a very big accident, destroying the car and almost himself, too, surviving serious spinal injuries but as a paraplegic.

Thanks for that. A further query.

According to Graham Vercoe's book, the usable parts of the car went to several different owners.

Stu
    Thanks for that Stu. Heading is incorrect should be BT 7a, not BT 4

In early 2010 there was a meeting at the Killarney Circuit in South Africa. Reported that Lord Irvine Laidlaw (fascinating stuff on Google on him) was driving a Brabham BT 7a. It noted this car "seriously damaged in an accident in NZ. Returned to Britain in the 1980's where it was completely rebuilt for Historic events"

Could this be the ex Matich/Dawson car?

Wow, could be, as it's a 7a. If it's any help. the chassis no is BT7A-IC-1-63, and ORC list its current location as England.
    That Barry Thomasen crash happened almost at my feet, he spun coming out of Rothmans onto the back straight, the car ran off onto the infield, it hit the bank and flipped, and as it went over he was half-thrown out of the car, with the car landing upside-down and him still half-out. Clearly no belts, and I think this was the last season they weren't compulsory. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Wow, could be, as it's a 7a. If it's any help. the chassis no is BT7A-IC-1-63, and ORC list its current location as England.
    That Barry Thomasen crash happened almost at my feet, he spun coming out of Rothmans onto the back straight, the car ran off onto the infield, it hit the bank and flipped, and as it went over he was half-thrown out of the car, with the car landing upside-down and him still half-out. Clearly no belts, and I think this was the last season they weren't compulsory. Very sad.
    What happened to the BT7A? Was it a writeoff?

I have come across a BT7A on race-cars.com that could be it?
    http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/bra...56995143ss.htm
    unfortunately I can't find a date for this sale.

However I always thought it had been written off.
    can anyone help please?