Page 8 of 93 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars Under HRC

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SATIATOR View Post
    Hello all

I just wanted to say what a great event Hampton Downs appears to have been, I coudnt make it to see in person but even so it has inspired me to get on with the Vettes preparation.

In light of that I am selling my 1977 Monza Mirage panels and parts which I have just listed on Trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=460593447

Attachment 6898

Someone may be interested in them as they would allow the making of a truly unique race car for HMC.

Cheers all.

Kevin
    ..Frustrating to say the least when 'forum' members advertise thier wares in our Free/'For sale' section,then dont bother to check thier 'posts'..gives eager 'Old buggers' like me 'ring burn' ,so I will have to live with "win some/lose some", I know you where busy etc, but disappointment turns my mouth upside down so I look like the Kid that can't borrow the family car ...............thunder427/

thunder427, do you have another 20c piece to put on another gem, just loved that touch on the big car.

Weekend Warrior
    Yo Thunder427

Hi Myles

Just so you know when I logged in there is no PM notification on the site, so I wouldnt have seen it earlier even if i had been on here!

I have only just logged in, Trademe does have the facility to ask questions and that was what I was watching, hence the link placed here, it also had a BUY-NOW option which could be used anytime!

Someone else pushed the button on Monday morning, so he got them, payment was confirmed this morning hence me updating now to say the deal is complete and the items are:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

Sorry for your dissapointment but I cant spend my whole life on forums etc, I think once they were placed on Saturday it wasnt predictable that anyone would want them at all, next time I will put my E-mail address here that may help!

Cheers
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ..Frustrating to say the least when 'forum' members advertise thier wares in our Free/'For sale' section,then dont bother to check thier 'posts'..gives eager 'Old buggers' like me 'ring burn' ,so I will have to live with "win some/lose some", I know you where busy etc, but disappointment turns my mouth upside down so I look like the Kid that can't borrow the family car ...............thunder427/

Semi-Pro Racer
    Satiator/Kevin, explanation accepted,no issue!!!....just that I had cranked off and got my Monza owner buddy excited with the prospect, so,we move on!!!......with regard thinder427/Myles

Weekend Warrior

Cheers Myles

If you keep searching for "monza mirage for sale" in google and keep an eye out in www.ebaymotors.com parts cars or bodies come up about once a year, I see the chap that bought my panels was asking questions on such adds in September 2011. Ive had the panels since 2009 and there always seems to be the odd add out there.

While you were a bit frustrated, I am a bit as well as it leaves me wondering what I could have got for the panels if I had a higher reserve!?

Best of luck,
    Kevin.

PS: I see there is a little notification indicator at the top of the scree which i never noticed before.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    Satiator/Kevin, explanation accepted,no issue!!!....just that I had cranked off and got my Monza owner buddy excited with the prospect, so,we move on!!!......with regard thinder427/Myles

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  292189_3145221904249_1076043460_33072804_1301302299_n-2.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  143.6 KB
    Name:  305941_3145221624242_1076043460_33072803_1508463107_n-2.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  147.0 KB
    Name:  544025_3145222224257_1076043460_33072806_1777713412_n-2.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  151.0 KB

Found this on You Tube of the Falcon. He didn't quite make it to the bridge and went off the outside of the track into the armco fencing. He was back at the track on the Sunday chasing parts to build another one I have since been told.

Last edited by TonyG; 04-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Always a shame to see this, when i bet there was no need for it!! With the distruction PI and now this it kinda makes you wonder what the Aussies are trying to do at Classic race events!! Hmmm

World Champion
    Dale you should get a big sign made.......'SLOW DOWN' The cars are the stars, and there is nothing sadder than a fallen star.

The only way that will happen is when you remove the word 'race" and replace with demonstration. Even then some demo's go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    The only way that will happen is when you remove the word 'race" and replace with demonstration. Even then some demo's go wrong.
    Rod, Gerald, its a numbers game, do enough racing and somethings bound to happen. At the festival i talked to each individual to express my thoughts on why we are here at this great event!! i did see dump things on track but otherwise was pretty happy!! In 7 years of racing my Boss i've only had two hits both in the RH door and both times the dent pop out, offcourse when I've had/seen known culprits come up apond me i lift of the gas a little and gently pull aside and let them go by, a corner or two later they're usually stuck in the sand trap!! and the reason myself and others have stop racing in some of the other class's/events was the "Probability" was getting too high to be worth the risk! time to move on.

Dale Mathers

Dale a good call, as the other class is good to watch but in conversation it has been mentioned about the progression of speed and moves being pulled. Believe there is room for all classes and you just keep a lid on yours as you and your fellow enthusiats have and i am sure it will grow. It was great to watch. Hope soon to join. (small class to keep Gerald company)

The latest addition to the HMC group. Mike Rorisons Mustang notchback.

Name:  DSC00340.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  161.3 KB

HMC

This class is really starting to add variety to the fields with cars and drivers not seen before. With the beautiful Mustang of Mike Rorison above and also the 65 Falcon 2 door hardtop that Dale has sold recently it is looking good.

Any other news at the moment ??

The destruction of that Falcon would make you weep - heartbreaking
    Last edited by kiwi285; 04-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post

Any other news at the moment ??

The destruction of that Falcon would make you weep - heartbreaking
    No, not much!! nothing to mention here but all i can say we have alot happening behind the scene!!! I sat down with Tony today at the VCC meeting to review current and future HMC goings on, reg's, state of Historic/Classic racing in general, etc and the out come is all looking pretty good giving the funding issues most of us have!! were still looking at a 3 year build up period to have enough HMC cars to stand alone at certain Historic events, even if half the promised competitors turned up with built and finished cars we'd be laughing. So, all is looking good.

The destruction of that Falcon is indeed very sad, i offern wonder how the owner is feeling these days!! (One small mistake, a lifetime to repair)

Dale Mathers

Historic Muscle Cars, April 2012 E-Mailout

Attached below is our latest HMC E-mailout for those that aren't on my mailing list, if you wish to be added just shoot me and E-mail. The biggest change we've had to make is the "Eligibility List" this has come about after much discussion and all 3 of us hated to do it but were left with no choice as there where several vehicles like a Bolwell Nagari for instance that would qualify but is not a "Muscle car" and would ruin the class with its light weight performance. There was also several other vehicles, mostly pre 78 sports cars that would have the same affect, so below is the list of what we consider a "True Muscle car" and the list it is.

Greeting HMC Fans, Followers and Racers

Bit late this month but lots of interesting inquiry’s stemming from Steve's fantastic "Festival of Motor Racing" article in the current(April) Classic Car magazine, which has forced myself, Tony and Steve to review an HMC vehicle rule policy, this one been vehicle eligibility!! it seems us Kiwi's are great thinkers and will always find away around certain issues and rules, so this been the case using the Standard Series Production Vehicle manufacture of a minimum 100 pre 12/77 vehicle’s, and the over 3 litre engine size limit we've had some very unusual vehicles that would comply, that aren't in the spirit of "Historic Muscle Cars" and historic muscle car racing in general, in fact some of these said vehicles weren't even raced in New Zealand and Australia back in the day. So what we've had to do after much discussion is look across the pond to our Aussie cousins(again) and deal with the situation as they have done, making a "Vehicle Eligibility" list of every vehicle allowed to race with HMC, this list can be viewed shortly at www.historicmusclecars.co.nz but I have added it as below. Currently these changes below should not affect anyone as none have been built, only ideas tossed around so if you do have a vehicle in mind and its not on the list, just contact myself, Tony or Steve to discuss compliance.

Historic Muscle Cars - Eligible Vehicles List
    AC/Shelby Cobra 260 1962 – 1963
    AC/Shelby Cobra 289 1963 – 1965
    Shelby Cobra 427 1965 - 1967
    AMC Javelin 1967 – 1974
    Chevrolet Camaro 1967 - 1969
    Chevrolet Camaro 1970 – 1978
    Chevrolet Chevelle 1964 – 1965
    Chevrolet Chevelle 1966 – 1967
    Chevrolet Chevelle 1968 – 1969
    Chevrolet Chevelle 1970 - 1972
    Chevrolet Corvette 1953 - 1962
    Chevrolet Corvette 1963 - 1967
    Chevrolet Corvette 1968 – 1978
    Chevrolet Firenza Can-Am
    Chevrolet Impala 1961 – 1964
    Chevrolet Impala 1965 - 1968
    Chevrolet Monza 1975 – 1978
    Chevrolet Nova 1962 – 1965
    Chevrolet Nova 1966 – 1967
    Chevrolet Nova 1968 - 1974
    Chrysler Valiant Pacer 1967 – 1970 (VE, VF, VG)
    Chrysler Valiant Charger 1971 – 1978 (VH, VJ, VK, CL)
    Dodge Challenger 1970 – 1974
    Dodge Charger 1966 – 1967
    Dodge Charger 1968 – 1970
    Dodge Charger 1971 - 1974
    Ford Capri V6 MkI 1969 – 1974
    Ford Capri V6 MkII 1974 - 1978
    Ford Capri Perana
    Ford Fairlane 1962 – 1965
    Ford Fairlane 1966 – 1967
    Ford Fairlane 1968 – 1969
    Ford Fairlane 1970
    Ford Falcon (US) 1964 -1965
    Ford Falcon (US) 1966 – 1970
    Ford Falcon (Australia) 1966 – 1971 (XR, XT, XW, XY)
    Ford Falcon (Australia) 1972 – 1979 (XA, XB, XC)
    Ford Galaxie 1960 – 1964
    Ford Galaxie 1965 – 1968
    Ford Mustang 1965 – 1966 including Shelby
    Ford Mustang 1967 – 1968 including Shelby
    Ford Mustang 1969 – 1970 including Shelby
    Ford Mustang 1971 - 1973
    Ford Mustang 1973 – 1977
    Ford Torino 1968 – 1969
    Ford Torino 1970 – 1971
    Ford Torino 1972 – 1973
    Ford Torino 1974 - 1976
    Holden Monaro 1968 – 1971 (HK, HT, HG)
    Holden Monaro 1971 – 1978 (HQ, HJ, HX), Include HZ GTS
    Holden Torana 1967 – 1973 (HB, LC, LJ)
    Holden Torana 1974 – 1977 (LH, LX)
    Mercury Comet 1964 – 1965
    Mercury Comet 1966 – 1967
    Mercury Comet 1968 – 1968
    Mercury Cougar 1967 – 1968
    Mercury Cougar 1969 - 1970
    Mercury Cyclone 1969 – 1971
    Plymouth Barracuda 1964 – 1966
    Plymouth Barracuda 1967 – 1969
    Plymouth Barracuda 1970 - 1974
    Pontiac Firebird 1967 - 1969
    Pontiac Firebird 1970 – 1978
    Sunbeam Tiger 260 Series 1 1964 – 1965
    Sunbeam Tiger 289 Series 2 1965 - 1967

We are currently working on another rule since the Festival, been "Front Spoilers" as this has come about due to interested partys wanting to use a front spoiler that has the "period" Trans Am look(which we are not against) the same as the Aussies that raced with us in January, but wording this so not to create the wrong impression has been tough, as we don't want homemade sports sedan type air splitters, etc. More to come on this next month.

All the above has the effect of setting a high standard for HMC and is at best, a "Fine Tuning" of the rules. We want as reasonably as possible, a level playing field for all competitors and I’m happy to mention the we ARE about cheque book racing! as NOT in making your lovely classic faster, but making it visually more correct and nicer to the viewing public in the pits and while racing during Historic events.

Below is our next summers race dates:

Next seasons HMC race dates below:

1 - Ice Breaker, 29/30th September 2012 at Hampton Downs
    2 - Denny Hulme Festival, 18/20th January 2013 at Hampton Downs
    3 - Denny Hulme Festival, 25/27th January 2013 at Hampton Downs
    4 - Legends of Speed, 23/4th March 2013 at Hampton Downs

The Ice Breaker is first up this year so aim for this, you have 5 months!! though the winter i'll keep reminding you all, once again we are not about having large fields, we only want HMC and T&C legal cars and if we only 6 or so, so be it. We will be racing with the under 3L Historic Saloons as well, most of us will be ready to dust of our cars(and ourselves) of by the time this event rolls around.

Attached is some great Youtube footage showing the Bowden Collection with DJ and Moffat interviews, courtesy of Mike Fiesst,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QBnRqgg_VKE

Attached here is some fantastic articles on how they made the USA Trans Am car handle: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8227.0;all

Also check out the current NZV8 for Steve Holmes monthly article with ramble about last months event, and further articles in up and coming Classic Car magazine. Also in todays high tech world it is a must to keep up with the play on the http://www.theroaringseason.com/foru...ral-Discussion with some fantastic picture’s at http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...Cars-Under-HRC

Historic Muscle Car Tee Shirts are available for $20 each plus postage, E-mail for size’s and colour.

OK, that’s all from me again this month, any questions and quirys don't hesitate to contact Myself, Tony or Steve, and remember if you are changing your car back to suit HMC/MSNZ T&C Rules or building a new racer you will NOT be racing with other non compliant cars, its a level playing feild for all. And I know I don't have to remind you, but remember, the "The Cars are the Stars" so that’s all from me for February 2012, feel free to contact me or anyone of the directors below.

To race and be apart of HMC you need to join HRC http://www.grandprix.org.nz/Contact_Us.wse their $50 membership deal is a bargain, and a requirement to race.

HMC WEBSITE: http://www.historicmusclecars.co.nz/

PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to be removed from this E-mailout please let me know, if you wish to add someone please do the same.

Take care and enjoy your Historic Motor sport

Dale Mathers dmathers@xtra.co.nz , Tony Roberts tony@hamptondowns.com , Steve Holmes enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz
    HRC Members/HMC Directors

Dale, you deserve to succeed as you are putting a lot of effort into it and that usually pays dividends as long as the basic concept is viable.

I can think of two classic series that failed abysmally, as one was driven by a totally misguided, totally self interested person, and the other was no more than a piggy-back series that only had 3 or 4 cars that weren't running elsewhere and wasn't really promoted by the convenor.

Your concept is viable, sustainable, has variety and you are doing a great job of promoting it. More power to you. With growing fields, great racing is bound to follow. Just chuck out the hoons (if any) as you'll gain everyone's respect. Trying to keep the numbers up sometimes means censuring or chucking out a potential crowd pleaser for the long term benefit of the series. It takes guts, but it has to be done as others have proved.

All four of the local 'non-conforming' series - Alfa, BMW, AES, Arrows have done just that over the years and they all work well together. That means that if Alfa or BMW chuck out a 'bad' driver, then the chances are that AES/Arrows won't accept them either! It is as much about drivers as cars and some people tend to forget that. It is the real strength of series such as yours and the others, that those administering them are aware, even if they are threatened by court action, which two of them have been. Just make sure your rules are robust enough and enforceable.

Smile

Thanks Screwdriver, Deserving? possibly!! Succeeding, you bet yah. I can hear some of you now!! "how nigh-eve" and your probably rite but im sure as hell gonna give it a go. The fact is at my age(52) there is a whole group around that era into the classic saloon stuff which when you think about it, my age group where kids when the Big Banger Saloons roamed this country(late 60's/70's). Ten years and back there were only a few of the big banger type saloons my age group liked(Mustangs, Camaros, Monaro's, etc) and they weren't cheap, where as today myself and Steve have counted over 70 cars up and down the country that would fit HMC, some form of modification required. There is one person i take to heart, the late Jim Crystal, he had that inter-marque classic series from the 90's fine tuned(well, it seemed that way to me at 35 then), he didn't like V8's and i had to beg him to let me race my Mustang in his group(at Taupo) and the only reason he let me was the car was road legal(Raydon Smith still beat me), what i learnt is he was organised and ran a good show and a great group of guys, what myself Steve and Tony are doing is taking that formula along with the T&C rules and building this group around it which really only came about from the Festival meetings. What i didn't expect was that the enquiry would be over whelming hence a policy change as above was required as persons wanted to build all sorts of weird vehicles, one was a Datsun 240Z Sarab Chev V8 which was quite legal, then all the "what abouts" a Bolwell Nagara been one, let alone all the Euro stuff i'd never even heard of so we had to make the Eligibility list as the Aussie's had to do, i'd say we're pretty much covered from now on in with only fine tuning required

What has really amazed me is the major financial commitment several have made to race with HMC, changing and building cars for this group including one just recently purchased out of the USA, i have no intention of letting these guys down.

Dale M

Hi Dale,

just out of curiosity really, why have you included the Mk1 and Mk2 Capri V6, which were under 3L? (2994cc) All other cars on your list are over 3000cc from the look of it. The Mk1 RS3100 (248 built) was as close as it doesn't matter to 3100cc (homologation special to allow it to run in the 3000-3500 Gp.2 class) but all other V6 Capris ever built were under 3000cc.

Conrad Timms

P.S. I just googled the "Chevrolet Firenza CanAm" - what a mental car!
    Last edited by conrod; 04-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Conrad, although rite on the 3L cut off, and the fact they are generally know to most as "3 Litre Capri's" we have allowed them because of there common popularity here in NZ(and Australia), and the fact one can Perana-ise one to fit HMC anyway(MK1)(or over bore it past 3L). The owner/racers have the option to race in either under 3L or HMC should they wish when the class's are split, that's not a bad option.

We have a possible Chevrolet/Viva Firenza Can Am joining HMC in the future, we tossed and turned over this one but it met all the criteria just the same at the Perana V8 Capri did, the builder still has to use a Firenza fastback Viva body style, not a regular 2 door Viva as some have asked.

The same goes for XUI/GTR Toranas, although over just over 3L they are the type of Australian Muscle car kiwis identify with, we have allowed more freedoms to 6 cyl cars to close the gap on V8's, as i've mentioned in the past, its about leveling the playing field as was the case at the Festival of Motor Racing(BMW) this year with Angus in Gerald's Mini and Howard Wood's amazing wet win in his 2002, this is what we want and didn't the crowd luv it, entertainment at its best.

Dale M

Thanks Dale, sounds like a good idea. Just helping someone build a Perana to race in your class (Graeme P)and although it won't have mega power it should be a fun car to drive. The irony is that it would probably be more expensive to build a 3L V6 race engine than it would a Ford V8.
    I suppose Firenza's are not exactly thick on the ground, so finding a donor car would be the first stumbling block. And although they have a nice suspension system from memory (double wishbones front/5 link rear?) I don't think you could fit big rubber under the arches, so could be a bit of humour seeing a 600hp Viva racing on 13x7 tyres!

Conrad
    Last edited by conrod; 04-29-2012 at 11:31 PM.