Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Beach Racing At Tahunanui Nelson 1960s

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Lyndsay Marr (tweaks) is a good old Kaikorai boy from Dunedin. Is Lyndsay on this site Chris?
    Go to Posting #34 this thread and 'tweaks' is there with a name at the bottom 'Lynds'...so assume it is Mr Marr along with his comments about Brian Mabey's BCM #2 list he gave me. Think he is Aus now...last time in Blackburn South.
    Chris Read -Arrowtown

World Champion

Semi-Pro Racer
    ....last few frames depicts a very wet race ,the last face thats covered in 'wet sand' features a young Allan Rhodes,who was driving the R.A Zephyr in 'Green' warpaint ......Dam!!!...they where great Christmas Holidays!!!!........thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 05-16-2012 at 01:04 PM.

World Champion
    Best Christmas holidays i ever had !

Weekend Warrior
    They certainly were gtrat Xmas's there , especially as a 15 year old ,watching motor racing ,discovering girlsand drinking Harleys ? beer in the sandhills at night ... then going back to aour tent in the camp ground that was directly in front of the ladies shower block
    Hi to Chris and Woody yes it is me the "Good Old Kaikorai Boy" am still alive and now living in Geelong.

Regarding the BCM Special ???? . I bought it of a chap in the Gore area , and from the receipt the reg was AA 5179 and his name was G Mill .

Attached is the spec sheet typed up by Brian Maybey for the origonal build

Cheers

LyndsName:  img004.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  123.8 KB

Thanks for that info Lyndsay. John Noble had it and sold it to Winston Wingfield....in between somewhere there was a guy in Green Island (had a motor bike shop I think where Barry Vuyk used to operate from)..... was it Twaddle???

I bought the later BCM Special off Malcolm Bathgate who kept the trailer...I paid $349 for the car. Most of the OSCC had 'molested' the car at some time with Armie giving it the most use. Armie (or was it John Reid) drove it to the Balclutha evening sprint and as the story goes drove it back in the dark.
    Good to hear from you . Chris Read - Arrowtown.
    I
    Last edited by Chris Read; 06-25-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Senior moment re name now overcome

Semi-Pro Racer

What a mixture. Just imagine going to the Repco or Supercheap Counter for parts for that.

Come on GB, you know you need to have the registration number before either of the aforementioned (that's a bigger word than wheelbarrow) can source parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post

What a mixture. Just imagine going to the Repco or Supercheap Counter for parts for that.

Chris, Sounds like Johnny Twaddle. Old Mayfair Motors in Green Island by the railway crossing.

Weekend Warrior
    Ooops...just noticed I had chopped bottom of the spec sheet which had the following on

Camshaft...BCM . full race ( which he would have done on his own cam grinder

Steering wheel ... 32 Morris Minor

Sump holds ... 1 1/2 gallon

Valve springs ... 1931 Chev / Consul

Push rods ... 1949 Vauxhall 18 / Consul

..Rear shock ... 1928 Vauxhall 28.

..Front Shock absorbers ... Allard

It certainly had a few odd sods in there , the Healy 100S diff , 23 Caddy clutch pedal ,Scout car rev counter ect ....

Chris as for the Later BCM , Ron Perry, had shares in it with Alan Jamieson and Malcolm and it sat in Rons garage in Chapman Street for donkies ..the garage had 1/2 roof missing and front doors were just hanging there ....Would be good to the the Consul going again sometime

Cheers

Lynds

Lynds, Sounds like the latter BCM car was not far from your home in Shetland St.

Lynds, I have sent you a PM.

Weekend Warrior

Stuart Ford V8 Special as it is now.

Name:  speedfest 2008sml.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  192.0 KB

Is that Stewyq standing beside the car? How many years did Stewart run the v8 coupe for?

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Is that Stewyq standing beside the car? How many years did Stewart run the v8 coupe for?
    Yep, he's the crew chief. .Dad raced the Ford Coupe between '68 & '70, he sold it to buy the Stuart Special from Norm Smith.
    He has recently bought another '39 Deluxe and is now busy restoring it.

Mark Quertier

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  0851.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  174.3 KB
    Beach Racing Champs 1972 - Stuart V8 Special
    Stewart Quertier holding roll bar, Geoff White, Jac Mac, Mervyn Gutschlag and the late John Jeffery.
    Together that year they won the the South Island Beach race champs, Nelson Provincial Champs, the Lap record.
    and placed 2nd in the NZ champs to Peter Leversedge.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
    Name:  0851.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  174.3 KB
    Beach Racing Champs 1972 - Stuart V8 Special
    Stewart Quertier holding roll bar, Geoff White, Jac Mac, Mervyn Gutschlag and the late John Jeffery.
    Together that year they won the the South Island Beach race champs, Nelson Provincial Champs, the Lap record.
    and placed 2nd in the NZ champs to Peter Leversedge.
    Would that be the Crowe Ford special in the background or Charlie Bensemans # 4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by shellsport View Post
    Would that be the Crowe Ford special in the background or Charlie Bensemans # 4 ?
    Or Kelvin Browns?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Or Kelvin Browns?
    Ford 8 was owned by Roger Funnell and driven by Bensemann I think