Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Old Race Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Have you come across the site www.circuitsofthepast.com site. Some interesting stuff.
    i'm not far from publishing a book on motorcycle road racing circtuis in new zealand, 88 circuits in the north island and still to do a final tally but looking at around 63 in the south island 151 ish all up

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm not far from publishing a book on motorcycle road racing circtuis in new zealand, 88 circuits in the north island and still to do a final tally but looking at around 63 in the south island 151 ish all up
    Go for it - looking forward to seeing the result. A car man but, bikes are a huge part of the NZ Motor Racing scene.. ehh !! Spyda.

many of the circuits ran cars as well of course.

Seagrove - information. A story on its own ..

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Nobody mentioned Seagrove yet.
    Southern shore of the Manukau harbour. I went looking in the early to mid 1980s, there were still some of the hexagon concrete slabs evident even then.
    Just had a look on the Auckland GIS viewer, I was surpised to see that the airstrips are still very evident. They are not clear at all from ground level!
    A lot of stuff is scattered through this thread on Seagrove and recently quite a few photos from the Arthur Siddall albums now in Duncan Fox hands [ found at Whitford Tip by Duncan ].

Could be worth putting into a separate story - a bit like the Matamata thread that " Oldfart "started a few years ago.

I have also recently acquired a couple of Maps of the Seagrove Track - one from the 1940's and the other a more recent Google image.
    There was a book written about Seagrove some years ago - must check out the details.

" jellywrestler " is writing a book on New Zealand Motorcycle Racing and has quite a bit of information on the track from a Two Wheeled perspective.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-28-2021 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    A lot of stuff is scattered through this thread on Seagrove and recently quite a few photos from the Arthur Siddall albums now in Duncan Fox hands [ found at Whitford Tip by Duncan ].

Could be worth putting into a separate story - a bit like the Matamata thread that " Oldfart "started a few years ago.

I have also recently acquired a couple of Maps of the Seagrove Track - one from the 1940's and the other a more recent Google image.
    There was a book written about Seagrove some years ago - must check out the details.

" jelliewrestler " is writing a book on New Zealand Motorcycle Racing and has quite a bit of information on the track from a Two Wheeled perspective.
    Seagrove.... Where's that? by Max Poole I got a copy from Max, was about $90 he gets them done in very small runs, from memory he only really got what was pre ordered rather than kept a couple in stock. covers a bit on the car racing, more on the bikes. My book covers 156 differnt circuits in new zealand. this includes closed circuits, airfield circuits, street circuits and road racing circuits, (coutryside venues) it's getting close to being published, and i'll pop in here and advertise it no doubt. I will be selling it myself, at this stage apart from selected motorcycle shops that's my plan. A number of the circuits of course included cars, or probably more correct, the cars ran a meeting and invited the bikes.