PDA

View Full Version : Just A Mix Of Pics - Ray Green Collection

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

jamie
01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Hi Gang.ERC picts of the B R M and the Aston fab Jamie A

Rod Grimwood
01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
1987, Gordon Burr was running a quick Porsche then and he drove the doors of it. He actually won Championship back then. Also Roger Anderson had a couple of drives in a Porsche I think.

AMCO72
01-09-2013, 12:22 AM
ERC, the NZ owners of Mk1 Lotus Cortinas think they are too valuable to 'race'. Well our car is valuable too. If you had to replicate the Amco Mini or any of those period S cars, you are looking at $100,000+++. Yes, I kid you not, its eye-watering stuff.

There is one Mini Cooper S, with a history, that has been restored by Upper Classics in ChCh for a figure in excess of $135,000 !!!!!!!!!!!

The Mk1 Lotus was never a very robust vehicle in its original state, especially when pushed along hard, so maybe that is one of the reasons we dont see them on the race track, and that is a shame. Along with the Cooper S they formed a big part of Motoracing history.

GeebeeNZ
01-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Ray, those Sports Car Club Pics bring back some memories. All pre Vehicle Certification.The blue Car MK9894 was built by Glen the guy in the blue shirt standing next to it. It had a 350 chev and reversed Corvair box that didnt last long. I think Oldfart may have owned it briefly. The white Mirage Turbo in the picture was still under warranty but I couldnt tell the Mitsi agent that it only jumped out of gear on the Pukekohe Club circuit. The rare two door Allegro will be well known to you. Is it still around. The other Picture is of George Spratts Aurora. I think it was mid engined. George was an interesting but very clever chap who used to drive around in a Roller. I think he put a Mini Engine and Subframe into the rear of a BMW Isetta. Post Certification (1990) guys are still building cars but we dont see as many one offs as we did in the 80's. Graeme

ERC
01-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks Graeme. I mistakenly labelled the Aurora and had forgotten what it was.

That two door Allegro Equipe 1750 was sold to a young guy who headed for Warkworth. Not sure if the car still exists (it hasn't been on the road for several years), but if it does still exist, I'd be very keen to restore it. An under-rated car that only needed a stiffer front end to make it handle as well as the lighter and better balanced 1300.

David McKinney
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I presume this is the car that was in the Donington Museum almost from day one - the Maserati based Tech-Mec. As the same car was out at the Monaco Historics 2012, is this yet another fascinating car that has been sold off?

The Tec-Mec was built in 1959, and bought by Wheatcroft in the late '60s. Barrie Baxter bought in from the Museum in 2000 and has raced it fairly regularly since then, before selling it last year

ERC
01-10-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't seem to have a race programme for this meeting so would welcome any comment or car/driver i/d to help me date the pics.

When looking at the neg before scanning, I first thought this was the Freeth Starlet - same sponsorship livery.

Shame this one is a bit out of focus, but what happened to that Renault?

The days when photographers got up close and personal... Not so sure that I'd be perched there without anything to dive behind if things went to custard.

rogered
01-11-2013, 01:43 AM
I don't seem to have a race programme for this meeting so would welcome any comment or car/driver i/d to help me date the pics.

When looking at the neg before scanning, I first thought this was the Freeth Starlet - same sponsorship livery.

Shame this one is a bit out of focus, but what happened to that Renault?

The days when photographers got up close and personal... Not so sure that I'd be perched there without anything to dive behind if things went to custard.

the mini is lance evans
starlet is roger freeth
renalt is steve pearson of tauranga. think the engine was from him renault/ imp

Rod Grimwood
01-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Yep, Pearson ran a Imp with Renault engine in it, and then in this car. Roger, was it the Imp he turned on it's roof going down the front straight at Puke when he hit the crossing and it bounced and went sideways and onto roof in practice. Remember we were in pits standing with Rutherford and co. just getting into our cars when heard a funny bounce noise, then a skid and a grinding noise, and looked over pit wall to see it on its lid slidding down the track. Didn't hit anything either, he was pretty lucky.

ERC
01-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Thanks for that. I have the Pearson Renault down as 3500cc on 31/01/1993 also carrying the same number - 81, so could this be 1993 after all?

rogered
01-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Yep, Pearson ran a Imp with Renault engine in it, and then in this car. Roger, was it the Imp he turned on it's roof going down the front straight at Puke when he hit the crossing and it bounced and went sideways and onto roof in practice. Remember we were in pits standing with Rutherford and co. just getting into our cars when heard a funny bounce noise, then a skid and a grinding noise, and looked over pit wall to see it on its lid slidding down the track. Didn't hit anything either, he was pretty lucky.

yeah, your right. i remember that.
i think he had a couple of good hits in that little car.
didnt it come unstuck infront of the club rooms at taupo as well? neet liitle car that went real well, but a short wheel base caught it out a couple of times

Rod Grimwood
01-12-2013, 10:43 PM
yeah, your right. i remember that.
i think he had a couple of good hits in that little car.
didnt it come unstuck infront of the club rooms at taupo as well? neet liitle car that went real well, but a short wheel base caught it out a couple of times

Think the Renault went upside down at Taupo i think it was in practice. Wheels were still spinning when we came through esse's and it was in middle of track.
The Renault also featured in some action at Wellington street race I think.
As you say, The Imp was quick but tended to have it's own mind on bumps etc.

ERC
01-25-2013, 07:11 AM

The Jensen Healey was a Jensen squealy, being driven hard - until the left rear wheel parted company with the rest of the car.

ERC
01-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Did he catch it? Nope...

ERC
01-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Rasmussen senior and junior.

Nice to see another little brother...

SPman
01-28-2013, 04:35 AM
The other Picture is of George Spratt's Aurora. I think it was mid engined. George was an interesting but very clever chap who used to drive around in a Roller. I think he put a Mini Engine and Subframe into the rear of a BMW Isetta. Post Certification (1990) guys are still building cars but we dont see as many one offs as we did in the 80's. Graeme Yes - the Aurora has a Rover V8 out back. George no longer has the Roller, but does have a Bentley T series - with a Nissan 6 cyl diesel in it! He also has an XJ6 S2 - with a Nissan 6 cyl diesel in it! The BMW Isetta does have a Mini engine in it - looks quite tidy, too.
George is an Electrical engineer and works for Bill Buckley making machines that make silcon chips. (I shared a house with him for some years)

seaqnmac27
02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Silverstone test session , probably at the same time as Howard & the de Cadanet Lola. I think from memory this is a Brabham, but stand corrected.

Ok so this IS Loris Kessel, its a Non Championship GP at Silverstone April 11 1976

ERC
03-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Just a comment or a plea. If you want to use any of these pics, (or from any other contributor for that matter), such as for your own Facebook pages, or any publication, whether for profit or not, it would be polite to ask for permission first - and also acknowledge the photographer if you do use them - please.

In recent times, one of mine has been used on a race programme cover (without permission) and at least one I have found as someone's Facebook profile.

It takes a lot of time and effort (just ask Steve!) to scan and edit so that pics are at least worth looking at, particularly from old negatives and slides. Cropping sensibly, colour balancing and correcting fading is not quick work, even when you are confident. At least 30% of the ones I have scanned have been deleted as not being of sufficiently high quality to show - and I don't really want to cover mine with a watermark/logo even though the uploaded quality is considerably reduced, but I can see why others do.

Steve Holmes
03-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Yep, well said Ray. I think once photos are placed on the internet you really have no control over them anymore, they're there for everyone to be enjoyed. But I think its just a respectful thing to at least credit the owner if they're being shared elsewhere. Lately I've been putting The Roaring Seasons web name watermark at the bottom of each photo I post on here so photos can be traced back, and the owner recognised.

ERC
11-09-2013, 10:15 AM
1986 Whenuapai - Oh how we miss those meetings...

ERC
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
July 1967 - Shelsey Walsh Hillclimb

Wridgeway Horton - a regular locally

Note the registration number of this E type... 86 PJ

E Type Egal - 7 litre power I seem to recall

What would this Porsche be worth today?

Jizim
11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Must admit the "Billy Bigtime" with my name would be better as "Enthusiast" or "Part Time"
welcome back Gerald.

Love that Skoda, what a beast, nice shot of the Skyline at Puke, think if you visit John Windleburn at North Shore Automatic's you may see it parked in young Shanes corner.

Got both Skylines still there Drifty.......In Frazers Corner! Regards, TR

AMCO72
11-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Ah, Whenuapai.........the trouble with airfield circuits is because of the wide open spaces, drivers tended to explore the handling limits of their cars........to the limit!!!!!!

I remember at that meeting, Paul Leuch in his Aston Martin converting some carefully placed hay bales into an abstract haystack......with a little bit of damage to the Aston.

The Amco Mini looks a bit bare without its signwriting.

John McKechnie
11-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Would the sliding Jag in #270 be big Mike Westall?

AMCO72
11-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Right colour.......bonnet louvers.....and looks like Mike behind the wheel. The car was usually shod with Minilites so don't know why it has these steel wheels on.

Jizim
11-09-2013, 08:28 PM
And how about this Morris Marina? Does it still exist? Run?

Graham Park I think it was, its mentioned in the Lost Cars thread, ran with tinted windows and I think from memory on that thread it was burnt out at Baypark?[/QUOTE]

Yep Parksy sold it to John Coulton.It did have tinted windows...the car caught fire at Baypark..Graham got out ok and damage was super ficial............because no one could see the fire through the windows MANZ passed a directive that all cars will tinted glass (mine included) were to have them replaced with clears.....This was a very well engineered car that had in board suspension and mid mounted P76 turbo charged V8 in it....talking to George Biscuit last week and Graham has purchased the car back and looks like restoring it back to how it was.......Thanks for great photos.....regards, Tony Rutherford.

Jac Mac
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
1986 Whenuapai - Oh how we miss those meetings...

The MKIV GT Replica built by Baker? in the NI has popped up on several websites in the UK/Europe for sale over the last ten years, holding its price quite well in regards to other replicas, been a couple of times where sellers have tried to pass it off as the real thing , but with all the internet detectives about these days those adverts vanish quickly.
Porsche 906, seem to get very big money, especially with race history. Several very good replicas available of them now.

ERC
11-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Jac Mac. You have highlighted a very serious problem for those of us taking pics today, (not buying cars). That is "Have I snapped the real thing, or is it a replica?"

I categorise/file all my pics as best I can, so identifying a genuine GT40, Cobra, Lotus 11 used to be so easy. There weren't any replicas! I have large directories/folders for specials and another for replicas.

When we were in Broadbeach a couple of years ago, dining at a street restaurant, I noted in the distance a Lotus 11 shaped car heading towards us. I snapped it, but not being able to verify it I have no idea whether it was a genuine Lotus 11 or a Westfield or other replica. How to I categorise it? A folder for "unsure?"

Should I ever decide to produce a book, (you never know...) I'd have to add the disclaimer that it was produced based on the knowledge available at the time.

One replica I missed snapping was the lovely Lister Jag replica constructed locally that even had the personalised plates for the UK original! (Clive Pilkington's name rings a bell.)

I think the brown Jag was indeed Mike Westall and if he was cornering like that, he probably had to run a spare!

One of the hidden joys of flagging with a full crew, was that we'd take it in turns to stand down and I managed to get pics I wouldn't normally have been able to get from the public enclosure! How I wish I'd had today's camera back then...

Earlier UK photos were usually taken with dad's old standard Leica - no rangefinder, standard lens only and a mix of slides and negative film.

ERC
11-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Its Jag time!

The original - for my money, one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

The earlier pic was 1986, this Whenuapai pic is 1991 - with Minilites...

ERC
11-10-2013, 09:16 AM
No prizes for naming two... Probably January/February 1983 - Pukekohe short track. This was the first time I had seen this super star in action and I have to say that the crowd were most enthusiastic! I remember that much very well. I hadn't heard a Mazda on full song before this and was suitably impressed. Racing without different noises isn't racing - but we won't go there.

John McKechnie
11-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Ray- missed this period. I know the Algie machine, who are the others?

seaqnmac27
11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
No prizes for naming the first two... Probably February 1983 - Pukekohe short track. This was the first time I had seen this super star in action and I have to say that the crowd were most enthusiastic! I remember that very well.

Is the Chevette Kim Austin? Phil Henley in The Datsun following in pic 3

Jizim
11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
No prizes for naming the first two... Probably February 1983 - Pukekohe short track. This was the first time I had seen this super star in action and I have to say that the crowd were most enthusiastic! I remember that very well.

So do I....I have just hooked forth gear round the right hand kink with the foot hard up it....and bugger me if the left rear shock absorber broke! I did probably the fastest top gear spins that the club circuit would ever witness! Both the windscreen wipers were pulled straight out pointing forwards from the G forces and I was covered in rubber through the little port hole in the drivers door (which was just big enough for me to get my hand signals done.) Shit I thought I was going to hit the flaggies mound....and the weirdest of things....the first spin while I was pointing towards the crowd on the hill everyone was sitting down and the next time around everyone was standing up....it reminded me at the time of someone opening venetion blinds! I had just passed the Chevette V8 for the lead with one lap to go......then bang!.....I managed to drive across the grass and pass Shenley Dato on the line for second....all the time pretending I wasn't fazed......fear crapped me self actually!..... Thanks for the pix..any more of the old girl? Kind regards, Tony Rutherford.

ERC
11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Sorry Tony, I think that is the only pic I have of your car. It was either the the first or the second meeting I attended in NZ, having arrived Jan 17th 1983. About two months later I think, I was flagging, with a crew from NSCC right up to purchasing the Marcos in 1991.

I thought it ironic that my club in the UK was also NSCC (Nottingham Sports Car Club) where I left as Competition Secretary and newsletter editor, joining the Northern Sports Car Club as soon as I arrived.

Sorry, the pics were taken in reverse order to the original listing, so I'll swap them around!

Thanks for the extra info as I didn't have a programme. I hadn't realised it was Kim Austin - TV star of rallysprints.

John McKechnie
11-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Phil Henley still lives in Kohimaramara, has been a recent customer, still talks of his Torana and Datsun racing days Next time he swings past I will ask if he has any pics to contribute

Jizim
11-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Sorry Tony, I think that is the only pic I have of your car. It was either the the first or the second meeting I attended in NZ, having arrived Jan 17th 1983. About two months later I think, I was flagging, with a crew from NSCC right up to purchasing the Marcos in 1991.

I thought it ironic that my club in the UK was also NSCC (Nottingham Sports Car Club) where I left as Competition Secretary and newsletter editor, joining the Northern Sports Car Club as soon as I arrived.

Sorry, the pics were taken in reverse order to the original listing, so I'll swap them around!

Thanks for the extra info as I didn't have a programme. I hadn't realised it was Kim Austin - TV star of rallysprints.

Yeah Kim and I were always betting a dozen beers on our rally and racing stints....Ha...had a lot of fun with him. Tragically killed in a helicopter with another rally pilot Barnes. (they hit power wires that stretched over a long distance....sad day for us all really...) Had to let him off owing me a dozen beers for a wheel lifting contest we had at Taupo race track in our Mazda Rally cars......I held mine up the longest and furtherest by going around the sweeper onto the back straight and making the corner continue down the straight for a bit longer by steering in field..........I would be walking through the pits mentally preparing for one of the many B&H enduros or may have been Wellington Street race two the following weekend at Puke in a world of my own and all of a sudden my trousers including under dungers would be at my ankles...bloody Kim would be crying with excitable laughter....................... Do you still own the Marcos? Cheers and regards..Tony Rutherford.

ERC
11-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Yes Tony. Still have virtually no use of my left hand and putting on race gloves is extremely difficult so not competing at the moment. Surgeon expects it to take another 2 years before the nerves reconnect - all caused through twisting and crushing my spine when trying to put a headlining in to cover the non-MSNZ approved cage. Aaarrgh!

I have started logging all the negative films (not the frames - yet, films is bad enough), without having to scan them. Even with a new scanner, it still takes an age to scan each negative strip and it is only then that you realise that the focus isn't what it should be, so you scrap the scan. It also begs the question why photo shops usually snipped your films into strips of four, when the old filing system wallets (and the scanners) take strips of six.

A bit more recent this time.

Digital juniors... Hampton Downs 2013

John McKechnie
11-11-2013, 02:00 AM
Ray- as a motor trimmer who has to twist himself inside cars on a regular basis to fit weird hoodlinings you have my sympathy

Greg Ghost
11-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Prince Bira I think

ERC
11-11-2013, 09:37 PM
A real mix this time... From 1948 Silverstone's first GP. ( Dad's pic of course); 1973 racing car show; 2004 Goodwood Festival and the Donington Collection.

First pic is John Bolster driving 'Remus', one of the three ex-Bira ERA's. Bolster was best known as a journalist, then later, did the pit TV broadcasts, with trademark walkie talkie on his back and wearing a deerstalker hat.

The annual Racing Car Show at Olympia each January was always on my hit list and an opportunity to expand my book collection thanks to Chater and Scott. I think this might have been either THE last one, or my last one.

Could that be Bob McMurray in the background?

Count Godin de Beaufort's orange Porsche would never have been allowed to run in F1 events if todays rules regarding a percentage of the fastest time had been applied, but he added some welcome colour and variety to the grids when privateers were able to run in F1 - and did.

ERC
11-12-2013, 07:53 AM
September 1986? (Could be October) - and I'd like to know an exact date if possible.

It's that man again...

ERC
11-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Probably late October 1986. Not the sharpest of pics.

The Westall Jag - on steel wheels...

What is interesting here is that back in 1986, I didn't know that there were only two Marcos Volvo 3 litres in the country. Dave Walker's and...

Richard Atkinson's. I certainly had no idea that less than 5 years later, this was to be mine...

Jizim
11-13-2013, 02:39 AM
September 1986? (Could be October) - and I'd like to know an exact date if possible.

It's that man again...

Wow thanks for these Ray.....Top shot; Me getting held up by Brett Willis (again!) so opened his eyes by passing him on the "marbles" outside of turn one, followed by Bruce Manon and the late great "Jigger" Jones. Will try find date for you.
Middle shot; Bob Homewood's "I told ya so" light weight Esky Weapon.
Bottom shot; Drifty hassling Steve Webbly Alf Alfa. This Escort is still in Rod's ownership and could be purchased if you threw $50,000 under Rod's nose....(or anywhere else under him!) Great Class winning championship car well driven in between giving moustache rides for 50 cents on the day! Kind regards, Tony Rutherford.

seaqnmac27
11-13-2013, 04:43 AM

It's that man again...

Brett Willis Commodore
Tony Rutherford RX2
Bruce Manon Turbo Escort
Glenn Jones Datsun 1200
Bruce Anderson Falcon
Peter Yates?RX3
Veen Smith Commodore?
unknown driver Escort
Rod Grimwood Escort
unknown driver unknown car
unknown driver Fiat 124? or is it another RX2? and if so Rex Hawes?
Steve Webling Alfa Romeo GTV
unknown driver Escort
unknown driver and car
Bob Homewood Escort
unknown driver and car but could it be Neville Langley in an Avenger Tiger?
Graham Everson? Holden Monaro?

I know its not a very good answer to what the date is but its a starting point.

ERC
11-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks for that. All great information. As I name all my pics, both digital and digitised, by the date first (it keeps them all in sequence), you can imagine how useful it is to have a date rather than a guess. From 1964 - 1969 and from 1990 to date, I have kept a full page daily diary, but the years in between do make it a bit erratic, unless I have a race programme.

ERC
11-13-2013, 09:14 AM
I posted a pic of the Hourigan XJS on the touring car thread and scanned the others at the same time. Not the sharpest of pics unfortunately.

Grand Prix practice day Jan 4th 1986.

ERC
11-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Green and yellow...

Goodwood 2000

Hampton Downs 2010

Monaco 2012

Michael Clark
11-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Lotus, Cooper, Token, Lotus - always liked the Lotus 16, ever since the slot cars that came with the set

GD66
11-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Aha ! Scalextric !

Bruce302
11-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Here is something a little bit older. A reverse direction race at Pukekohe, Robin Tanner in his '39 Ford coupe (Edelbrock Special) held off Garth Souness for second place. This is taken from the elbow of the club circuit, photo from Robin Tanner collection.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dim0dz.jpg

ERC
11-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Just for a change - people...

Rod Grimwood
11-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Graham Park I think it was, its mentioned in the Lost Cars thread, ran with tinted windows and I think from memory on that thread it was burnt out at Baypark?

Yep Parksy sold it to John Coulton.It did have tinted windows...the car caught fire at Baypark..Graham got out ok and damage was super ficial............because no one could see the fire through the windows MANZ passed a directive that all cars will tinted glass (mine included) were to have them replaced with clears.....This was a very well engineered car that had in board suspension and mid mounted P76 turbo charged V8 in it....talking to George Biscuit last week and Graham has purchased the car back and looks like restoring it back to how it was.......Thanks for great photos.....regards, Tony Rutherford.[/QUOTE]

Tony

Caught up with Parksey last weekend at Manfield, (10th/11th/12th Nov.) he was going to look at Marina on Monday. Not got it yet.

Rod Grimwood
11-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Brett Willis Commodore
Tony Rutherford RX2
Bruce Manon Turbo Escort
Glenn Jones Datsun 1200
Bruce Anderson Falcon
Peter Yates?RX3
Veen Smith Commodore?
unknown driver Escort
Rod Grimwood Escort
unknown driver unknown car
unknown driver Fiat 124? or is it another RX2? and if so Rex Hawes?
Steve Webling Alfa Romeo GTV
unknown driver Escort
unknown driver and car
Bob Homewood Escort
unknown driver and car but could it be Neville Langley in an Avenger Tiger?
Graham Everson? Holden Monaro?

I know its not a very good answer to what the date is but its a starting point.

unknown in front of me is Dave Smythe

ERC
11-18-2013, 09:30 PM
A bit older -

This 1956 pic (dad's) at Mallory Park was published on another website some time ago. Eventually, we were able to establish the date but I never knew the name of the car as I didn't have a programme.

Out of the blue, yesterday, I received a request from the owner of the car in a later form. I mistakenly thought this was a Tojeiro. Anyone KNOW as opposed to guessing what it is/was?

Dad used his own Leica at Shelsey (I haven't found the negs yet either) and handed me a 40 year old camera containing 30 year old film. No wonder this heavily cropped image is a bit rough. Is this an Elva? I can't see the race number but I think I may have a programme somewhere.

Even in 1965 (approximate date) the number of older cars around before they were treasured shows up well here. Taken at our front gate and the garage in the back ground was where dad first met my Mum, when she wheeled her pushbike in and dad inflated the tyres for her. Aaah!

Garage was later the base for Roy's buses (I could tell plenty of stories about those...), then a Volvo dealership and has now been demolished and rebuilt as flats.

Last pic is interesting on three counts. Firstly, I used a borrowed camera and the first time I'd even had access to anything with anything other than a standard lens.

Secondly, he used Fuji film - which I decided was terrible compared to Kodak (colour) and Ilford (B & W).

Thirdly, this was the only time I saw Tony Brise racing - and he also demonstrated Graham Hill's F1 car at the meeting. Can you imagine any current F1 car doing three laps of a 1.35 mile track at a national meeting today?

GeebeeNZ
11-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Ray is this the car you have shown above. it is interesting that Reg Bicknell is also listed as driving a Tojeiro at one stage.

Graeme

ERC
11-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Top marks Graeme! Apparently it only ran for a season or so with that bodywork and didn't handle too well. Judging by the two pics, it also had a repaint. Interesting that it also ran with a 5 speed gearbox.

I just love these obscure cars and specials - probably why the VCC events are so interesting, as building a special today appears to be a far more difficult exercise than it used to be. Maybe I should just call mine "The Magneight Special" as opposed to "Mon ZA 8"?

ERC
11-20-2013, 09:35 PM
No prizes for naming any of these either...

aussiemonza
11-27-2013, 04:04 AM
Last pic is interesting on three counts. Firstly, I used a borrowed camera and the first time I'd even had access to anything with anything other than a standard lens.

Secondly, he used Fuji film - which I decided was terrible compared to Kodak (colour) and Ilford (B & W).

Thirdly, this was the only time I saw Tony Brise racing - and he also demonstrated Graham Hill's F1 car at the meeting. Can you imagine any current F1 car doing three laps of a 1.35 mile track at a national meeting today?

The car that has spun in front of Brise looks like it could be Bob Muir in the Bob & Marj Brown Biranna 272, hint is the front wheel. Any confirmation?

Dale Harvey
11-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Well spotted. It does look like a Birrana wheel.
Dale.

ERC
11-29-2013, 03:03 AM
I'll have to dig out the race programme.

Just spent far too much time listing all the negative films on a spreadsheet in date order. Over 400... I don't really relish now going through frame by frame to write up the subjects, but I will eventually. Found a load more to scan, but scanning is so slow...

Cataloguing the slides is less easy as they tend to be currently stored by car make and not by date. At least with the digital pics now, it is all so simple to find out the info, even to which camera and what settings were used, but I haven't yet tripped over a way of cataloguing all that info into a spreadsheet.

To keep you guessing... I wonder if anyone can name all the cars shown in this Mallory pic.

Yes, a V12....

And this montage is on our gymnasium wall - no doubt many of you will recognise the originals. I apologise for any copyright issues but I have no way of knowing who took them.

ERC
12-01-2013, 09:13 PM
I only ever saw this car once, so no idea who it is or what happened to it. Probably taken 1983 or 1984

Apparently Anil Naidu passed away recently and the car has been purchased by a current MGCC racer/member, so it may well be back. Thanks to Grant Kern for the info.

Oldfart
01-01-2014, 02:33 AM
A couple I took at last months Historic/VCC meeting

David McKinney
01-01-2014, 01:52 PM
No.12's the one you should have concentrated on...

Oldfart
01-01-2014, 04:47 PM
David, I do have photos of Richards car, equal detail, but how many on here would have interest (apart from you and me and a very few others). He won a race in it too after a very long resto.

ERC
01-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Shelsey again - 1965
The BRM at Curborough. I still can't get over why someone would fire up a V12 F1 car for a 900 yard sprint, just for a maximum of 5 runs per day...
Mallory Park paddock...
Super Saloons - the crowd favourite in the UK just as here. The main rule there though was that engine and gearbox had to remain in the original location.

Michael Clark
01-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm going to take a stab at Kim Mather and Tom Belso for photos 2 and 3.

ERC
01-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Whenuapai 1993

Goodwood Festival 2004. If the British Police had cars like that instead of our local Standard Ensigns, I might have been persuaded to stick to an earlier career ambition...

I never tired of visiting the Donington Collection from its opening - until 2012, when reception couldn't even supply a list of what cars were still there. Sorry Mr Wheatcroft, I am not interested in WW2 Miltary vehicles. So many iconic cars have been moved on so it is a shadow of what it once was, though still interesting for a first time visitor.

These two were taken 2004 just weeks after acquiring my first decent compact digital camera. I say decent, because the very first one (1996) was probably the first true compact camera sold to the general public (Casio) - but the picture quality was rubbish and the 4 x AA batteries seemed to last about 15 minutes.

No idea what happened here. Pics reloaded later.

Oldfart
01-01-2014, 10:16 PM
When I click on your last links Ray I get an "invalid attachment" message.

Why fire up the BRM, because you can!

ERC
01-02-2014, 09:33 PM
H'mmm.

This was the full grid for a restart... (Alfetta on the right.) Not exactly a feast for the spectators.

No doubt as a tall person, this car probably wouldn't really be my first choice!

John Holmes well campaigned Lotus 18 has a slight hiccup.

Shambles of a start at Monaco 2012 where some drivers obviously didn't understand the start light procedure, resulting in two wheels knocked askew. The McLaren was at fault. Frank Sytner the innocent one.

ERC
01-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Replicas...

Oldfart
01-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks Ray, photos now visible. And while they might have not been what you wanted now, they are a valuable record.

ERC
01-03-2014, 10:15 PM
If only the British had understood the concept of JiT (Just in Time) manufacturing systems back in the late 1950s - or even later, then they might just have survived a bit longer.

These two pics from some taken by my wife's ex-hubby when on a trip to the UK. (He was in the trade in NZ.)

Maserati 450S at the Goodwood Festival, 2004. Is anyone going this year? I am probably there for the Friday only as we leave the UK on the Saturday.

The man himself. The author of one of Oldfart's favourite books. Not sure of the exact date, but maybe about 1979 at Curborough. It must have been one of the final incarnations of the car that inspired so many people. I only stood on the inside of the first corner once, so it was probably an NSCC event!

Rod Grimwood
01-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Found these photos tucked away. Can anyone identify the date of this meeting as I think it may have been the last time the long circuit was used, and it had not been used for along time. Remember it took a couple of laps to find brake spots as we were used to going down straight and around bend flat and not braking at end of grandstand. Red and white Mk11 is Terry Richardson when he first built his neat little car. Porsche is uncle Jim Short, and it must be in late 80s as the Escort has the yellow/red paint (not my choice) This may be the meeting it expired on back straight in a fairly big way.

Photos are from on top of stables.

This could have been last time long track was used.

John McKechnie
01-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Rod-, Tony Roberts and I remember using the long track at Porsche LeMans 1991.
Is this engine expiry the one that the conrod bolt hit Ian Algies foot on the back straight- must have been a big one

fullnoise68
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
I would think `87 Rod, as Terry added more fibreglass to his Escort after this and at the `88 Baypark Easter meeting it was beige and had Piako Transport on it.

Rod Grimwood
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
I would think `87 Rod, as Terry added more fibreglass to his Escort after this and at the `88 Baypark Easter meeting it was beige and had Piako Transport on it.

That date could be right Steve, and Terry's car also grew a hair dryer on the side of engine I think as well.

If this is the date John, no engine problem as it was 88/89 I think when it expired (done a wee bit by then)

Re blow.
It was a goody John, full monty, full song, flames out side of bonnet and bottom of car, looked in mirror and all was orange, lifted my feet as the firewall took a hiding. (and wallet) The engine had done a fair amount and it was a sad end. I still have a couple of the valves sitting right on front of me on window sill.

Barry might remember me getting out and going around to front of car and scratching the dirt backwards with my feet as a dog did after it had shit. Few boy's still laugh at that one.

rogered
01-04-2014, 11:26 PM

ERC
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Not yet accurately dated - though work is continuing...

Possibly 1983? From a colour slide by the looks of it and more than likely dragged from the pile of unmounted slides, that at the time, were not worthy of mounting. With a scanner, it is possible to crop before scanning, so many slides that may have been in the dump pile, can be cropped to give a decent image. There are so many that I'll never ever get all the decent ones scanned, let alone the second rate ones!

Maybe 1987

1990? - note the rather warm front brake discs...

Spgeti
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
The Rover ....Tim Slako

ERC
01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Something a bit different, but not enough to worry my good friend Don Packwood...

A commission for Dave's 50th

This was initially rejected at the drawing stage (by me) and the replacement was done in so much of a rush, that I wasn't pleased, so I am part way through a replacement featuring the same car. This pic and the one following it are earmarked as part of a set of at least four greeting cards featuring locals racing (British?) cars. The idea being that there are very few greetings cards available for '60', '70' (my number!), '46' and so on, for guys.

Whangarei street race January 2000. This and the one above are currently on display at Hampton Downs.

Two or three commissions still to do, (RacerT is one... I haven't forgotten Tony) but unlike Don, this is only a part time hobby when I am in the mood, hence only 8 done since I took up the brushes again in 1999, after a 30 year lay off!

Jac Mac
01-06-2014, 12:38 AM
The Rover ....Tim Slako
& Tulloch, Inky at the wheel in that pic I think.

Rod Grimwood
01-06-2014, 08:53 AM
& Tulloch, Inky at the wheel in that pic I think.

Note the helmet Jac, do not think Inky had pink helmet, but remember him peddling the car around, it sounded pretty.

Also the black and white Avenger, is it Des Bullas, he had a quick one back then, and drove well.

Carlo
01-07-2014, 02:08 AM
The Rover ....Tim Slako
with Inky Tulloch, that is Inky in the photo.

The Rover was a most interesting car to work on with an injection system that was operated by a cam on the throttle shaft that triggered micro switches but which worked more like an on/off switch than anything that could possibly resemble a metering device. The car had been rebuilt in Perth before shipping to NZ but all the bouncing around in the transporter whilst traveling across Australia wore out the shock absorbers and most of the new rose joints that Tim & co had fitted during the rebuild. Sure had to chase around for a few things the first couple of meetings. Winston Wrigley co-drove with Inky in the earlier races during that season.

Spgeti
01-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I need to be shot for not seeing Inky.....after all I owned his Camaro for 23 years.

Jac Mac
01-07-2014, 02:27 AM
He can be quite forgetful as well, so dont feel too bad!:)
I need to be shot for not seeing Inky.....after all I owned his Camaro for 23 years.

Rod Grimwood
01-07-2014, 09:58 AM

But did he have a pink helmet back then in Camaro Spgeti, hes tricked you too

Malcolm McLeod
01-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Whatever happened to the Rover?

with Inky Tulloch, that is Inky in the photo.

The Rover was a most interesting car to work on with an injection system that was operated by a cam on the throttle shaft that triggered micro switches but which worked more like an on/off switch than anything that could possibly resemble a metering device. The car had been rebuilt in Perth before shipping to NZ but all the bouncing around in the transporter whilst traveling across Australia wore out the shock absorbers and most of the new rose joints that Tim & co had fitted during the rebuild. Sure had to chase around for a few things the first couple of meetings. Winston Wrigley co-drove with Inky in the earlier races during that season.

Andrew Metford
01-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Tim Slako sold it to a guy called Geoff Herbert sometime 1987/88. Herbert ran it as number 40 ( Slako always ran #96 ) from ( at least ) October '88 to June 1990 at Barbagello ( Wanneroo ) with Peter Harper as co-driver when required in various WA Sports Sedan, street cars (??), Group A, and a couple of 300km races. Apparently some guy in Sydney has got it now.

ERC
01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
A bit of variety!

One of dad's Donington pics 1938. When Austin made their own racing cars! Not sure of the power to weight ratio with that particular driver.

1971 Prescott. I always did have a fascination for these three wheelers.

I have absolutely no idea what this is or anything about it. Snapped at Cherstey. At a guess, built on an XJ6/Daimler Sovereign.

Although this appears to be registered in 1964, it was racing in the Pre 1957 race at Cadwell Park.

No prizes for guessing this one, or where, or when...

ERC
01-21-2014, 01:03 AM

Growler
01-21-2014, 02:42 AM
Not yet accurately dated - though work is continuing...

Possibly 1983? From a colour slide by the looks of it and more than likely dragged from the pile of unmounted slides, that at the time, were not worthy of mounting. With a scanner, it is possible to crop before scanning, so many slides that may have been in the dump pile, can be cropped to give a decent image. There are so many that I'll never ever get all the decent ones scanned, let alone the second rate ones!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/23/clf4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/0nclf4j)

Correct. This is Des Bullas in the Black and White Avenger. He is my Uncle who now resides in Melbourne.
Unfortunately the car does not exist anymore. The shell was cut up (by me!) around 1993 as it was pretty tired and we decided to build a new car.
The car we built was a Talbot Sunbeam. The running gear from the Avenger was used in the new car, and everything else was fabricated.
I still have the Sunbeam, however I haven’t raced for about 10 years now (Getting divorced had a major impact on the household income!).
I have had thoughts of selling the car but watching all of these “Historic Sports Sedans “ coming back to life has piqued my interest again…

ERC
01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the PM Growler. Due to the costs of film, I obviously didn't take as many pics then as I did now, so I am not sure whether or not I have any more pics of the Avenger. If you send me another PM with your normal email address, I'll send you a larger pic, as on here, the limit is ony 185k.

Flagging there was one of the better posts unlike half way down the Puke straight or where I flagged at Ardmore, where we saw no action and we were not in a good position to take photographs when on stand down. (ie two were flagging, one observing and others on stand down/incident crew.) I never even managed to get to the paddock at the 1989 Ardmore.

ERC
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Formula Juniors at Goodwood, 2009.

"The name is Bond, Lawrie Bond..."

ERC
02-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Over 40 ERC cars this weekend at Pukekohe and the first practice was the two groups combined - AES & Arrow Wheels.

V12 bliss - but differing fortunes! Alan was getting to grips in his first race with us and his first at Pukekohe I believe, his Andy Culpin built 5600cc BMW M8 was improving all weekend. Derek Moore in the ex-Andy Turpin Jaguar was also going great guns but a tyre blew on turn one.

Meanwhile, Zac regretted modifying his exhaust system on the gorgeous BMW 635 (now with new long lines and Longines) and fell foul of the noise meter. His further modifications to quieten it again didn't really work, and he was pinged again.

Pity the noise control people don't ping the helicopters flying around here day and night.

Drivers seems to be getting used to the track now, but competitor and support vehicle parking is a total shambles unless you are in a pit garage.

Rod Grimwood
02-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Noise, oh damn. This theme really really peeves me. It's a race track and has been for along time, (most probably before the 'noise man' was born) some one please buy a big bottle of Vaseline and help put the sound meter where it should be.

02-24-2014, 01:31 AM
as I said on abother post on here Rod, noise is only a problem at the boundary of the venue. the use of a noise meter at the edge of a race track should be stopped as it achieves nothing.

ERC
02-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Thats all good, But I have never actually seen a "noise man" . I have heard about them, and from them, but never seen one in the flesh.
They don't stand in the middle of the track! They are generally sited where a car is literally at full noise, or at least under full acceleration. Ask the CoC as he or she will know exactly where the meter is sited.

We were discussing this at the track it and the consensus was that if Kenny Smith got pinged, what would his reaction be? We reckoned the council noise people would have to approach him directly and we would all stand and watch, record it and post it on YouTube!

"Council employee picks on pensioner/sporting icon, relaxing..."

As pointed out to me, if we don't comply, we'll only end up with tougher measures and the Nimby's will win yet again.

Bryan
02-25-2014, 01:54 AM
Isn't the sound man at Pukekohe just before the bridge on the front straight?

Exhaust noise testing for road cars is described in the LVVTA manual (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Exhaust_Noise_Emissions.pdf), and describes a pre-test test that could be useful for those with elderly ears.:p

The value of trackside testing is consistency between venues - no getting pinged at one track for an exhaust that was ok'ed at another track.:(

Raceman
02-25-2014, 02:41 AM
I know that there is a sound meter sighted as you exit the new part on the back straight. Not sure where the others are.

Oldfart
02-25-2014, 04:46 AM
Isn't the sound man at Pukekohe just before the bridge on the front straight?

Exhaust noise testing for road cars is described in the LVVTA manual (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Exhaust_Noise_Emissions.pdf), and describes a pre-test test that could be useful for those with elderly ears.:p

The value of trackside testing is consistency between venues - no getting pinged at one track for an exhaust that was ok'ed at another track.:(

The LVVTA test bears little resemblance to any track testing I know of, and if it's consistent how come the same car will pass pretty much everywhere except Puke?
Of course this discussion raged solidly a few months back.

ERC
02-25-2014, 06:22 AM
The LVVTA test is within inches of the tailpipe and the engine held at a steady 3,000rpm.

02-25-2014, 07:18 AM
min was done at 200mm above ground, 500mm and 45 degrees fron the exhaust flow at 3400rpm as required. maybe you should had read the reqirements

CobraV8
02-25-2014, 07:44 AM
The atmospheric conditions affect the measurement. A cloudy day will make you read higher.

ERC
02-25-2014, 09:28 PM
min was done at 200mm above ground, 500mm and 45 degrees fron the exhaust flow at 3400rpm as required. maybe you should had read the reqirements
Sorry, I was assuming, 'cos I was in the driver's seat!

Rod Grimwood
02-26-2014, 01:21 AM

Well rest my case, first you need a 200mm box (cardboard to absorb noise) then a set square and protractor and a compass, set it up and then run round and rev it, bloody easy. What happens if there is a 'concrete wall' near by or is this in an open field ?

02-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Rod,
NFG
no walls they reflect sound, ideally an open area.
these are also LVVTA regs for road cars. race cars are what ever they decide to do unless you protest.
see the noise thread

ERC
04-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Today, April 17th is Chris Barber's 84th birthday. Just to celebrate, this is a rare colour pic of my favourite musician, driving his early Lotus Elite. Still leading the "Big Chris Barber Band" and celebrating its 60 years, end of May.

ERC
06-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Haynes International Car Museum, Sparkford near Yeovil, south west England. I had been wanting to visit this museum for years and it didn't disappoint.

Most famous is the red room, just one of 8 halls. A great place to visit. Just a small sample here from the red room only.

nzeder
06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
They even have a Ginetta G15 in the red room now that I did not expect to spy in your pics Ray.....hmm imp power

ERC
06-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Unlike Goodwood and to a lesser extent, Hampton Downs, Donington is now surrounded by the dreaded catch fencing and in some places, there is a secondary chicken wire fence too, so taking pictures is a real hassle. I was able to worm my way into a couple of spots that I shouldn't have, including one of the hospitality suites! Too many pics I took today have a fluoro ambulance in the background or a medical car, but a small price to pay for some pics of cars we will never ever see in NZ.
Typical for the UK. A bright and sunny 23 degrees yesterday and at 8:30am today the heavens opened and spasmodic heavy showers later. By the time I got home, before racing had even started, the sun was out again...

The Bentley boys - ancient and modern plus moderns trying to look ancient:

But the noise limit for today was considerably higher than that allowed at Pukekohe....

ERC
06-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Later Astons - Jaydee will be drooling...

ERC
06-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Earlier Astons...

My pic of the day -

ERC
06-07-2014, 04:01 PM
...and a few of the other 300+ pics taken.

Limezed
06-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Hey Nzeder, did you spot the Samuri 240Z in the red room. See Haynes are accepting of us as well as Ray.

06-07-2014, 09:19 PM
nice to see an acceptable noise limit 108 Db post#360. A DFV on song on a dyno is 112 Db. Take note msnz, this is what is needed. 928

ERC
06-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Hey Nzeder, did you spot the Samuri 240Z in the red room. See Haynes are accepting of us as well as Ray.
Haynes museum covers much more than those shown - so a few more! Remember that those Haynes car manuals are written from practical experience so they have a very comprehensive workshop area and can even do a WoF/MOT if you require it. Obviously they then held on to some of the more interesting cars and bought the others, though some are on loan.

Jaguar based Kougar kit car

Jag V12 Hot Rod

Americana

Replica D Type Jag (There is also a Westfield/Lotus 11, so they aren't against kit cars and replicas either.)

Memories! A slightly newer model of my first motorised transport...

Timely - a Rolls Royce armoured car which pre-dated tanks.

ERC
06-08-2014, 07:55 AM
A few more from Donington

This Bentley Boy was most impressive - wet or dry.

This is the normal trackside view - safety comes before the spectators' viewing experience.

Sorry, but Atoms don't belong at this sort of meeting... Would have preferred a saloon car grid.

Award for the dark glasses and white stick for missing the chequered flag for the end of practice - but it looks as though he had his eyes shut anyway!

Showing a real patina of age - Cooper Monaco.

GD66
06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
This is the normal trackside view - safety comes before the spectators' viewing experience.

They've struck again ! That'll be a result of Donington's disastrous decision to try and crack it for the British GP, having done all the ludicrous mods required they then got the elbow in the face and took ages to get back into operative action again. The V8 Supercars clowns have done the same thing to Wanneroo/Barbagallo, now I see Pukekohe is little more than a concrete canyon as well.
Idiots...

ERC
06-08-2014, 10:04 AM
They've struck again ! That'll be a result of Donington's disastrous decision to try and crack it for the British GP, having done all the ludicrous mods required they then got the elbow in the face and took ages to get back into operative action again. The V8 Supercars clowns have done the same thing to Wanneroo/Barbagallo, now I see Pukekohe is little more than a concrete canyon as well.
Idiots...
Agree. Everything done to cater for the elite classes and leave the ruins for 51 weeks of the year for the locals. Probably the best thing HD have done so far is to not kow-tow to the Aussie V8s.
Cost me $30 to get in (plus $6 for a programme) for what was planned as an 8 qualifying sessions and 9 races. (Two races for the Atoms...).
One race planned as a 45 minute race (2 driver option); 5 x 20 minutes, 1 x 15 minutes; 2 x 30 minutes.

When I left, just as practice was finishing, there would have been a max of 150 spectators.

It makes a visit to Goodwood so much more enjoyable because it is as it was. No catch fences and brilliant viewing.

nzeder
06-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Great pics Ray. Keep them coming. And yes Karl I did spot that in the first pic of the red room.

Spgeti
06-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Great photos Ray, keep them coming.

ERC
06-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Had to include one or two Italians...

ERC
06-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Just a couple more from Donington. Was there ever a better name for a car of this era than Lagonda?

We spent a very pleasant couple of hours in Nottingham's Industrial Museum last week, situated in the wonderful Wollaton Park. Whilst that may not mean much to most of you, Wollaton Hall was used as Wayne Mansion (towers?) in the recent Batman film, but the Industrial Museum is housed in buildings in the grounds. Not a large museum by any means, but some of the exhibits are fascinating.

First pic is of one of the Nottingham manufactured Brough Superior motor bikes on display. Although I knew that Lawrence of Arabia was killed when riding his, I did not know that he had a collection of eight of them.

This car was a real surprise. Believed to be the only one in existence and possibly the only on ever made, again, Nottingham manufactured Celer. Discovered in Exeter but returned to Nottingham. It has completed the London to Brighton run.

Not as rare, but a Brough Superior saloon, partially restored. This unrestored car was originally gifted to the Royal Ordnance Factory for the apprentices to restore, over 30 years ago, but as you can see, it was never completed as the ROF closed some time ago. The Industrial Museum (rather like our MOTAT) is manned by volunteers and they are hoping to raise the money to get it completed. I hope they do, as there were fewer saloons built than convertibles.

I have a family picture of myself, one brother and Mum, in a Brough Superior (convertible), famous in its own right as one featuring in a Brough press release, attended by Freddie Dixon, The Duke of Richmond (of Goodwood fame) and others, and owned by my father's boss - Horace Tempest.

The origins of the Reliant motor company are also part of Nottingham's history, as the first Reliants were effectively made of parts from the Raleigh 3 wheeler, when the company decided to stick to making bicycles and many components sold off were already stamped with the letter 'R'. Some staff from Raleigh moved to Tamworth.

ERC
09-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Icebreaker - practice. Graham Park before the clutch failed. Looking forward to the Marina though...

Peter Gunter - looking forward to the ex-Crowe Skoda

ERC
09-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Paul Madeley got to grips with his stopgap Porsche and just as he hit the front in the AES scratch race, his clutch went too...

ERC
09-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Sunday's weather was really erratic - a handicapper's total nightmare, as track conditions changed from wet, wet, wet, to damp and greasy, to drying - and back again, without warning. No fun for the drivers either and these pics were taken mid afternoon and it was the first time out for Barry Algie for the whole weekend.

Gordon Burr was lapping the Alfetta in about 1:11, which is quick!

The Morris 8 register/club called in and full marks to them for embracing a couple of modified cars. The beautifully finished metallic blue car is indeed a Morris 8 - sporting a 4.6 litre Rover V8! An owner after my own heart.

ERC
09-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Back to the archives for a few minutes...

"Spotty Smith" at Prescott

Vintage car fans - can you please identify this car for me?

Who could ever forget this meeting and the UK visitors?

Strange quality image - but taken on a video camera - which explains a lot!

Aha! caught him at last...

ERC
09-25-2014, 04:57 AM
The driver of this car used to cover vast distances to race. Based on the UK's south coast, this is Donington 1977, but he was also a regular at Croft, in the North East.

This name rings a bell...

Maybe a TACCOC practice day or a test day. No idea!

Steve Holmes
09-26-2014, 01:13 AM
Neat pics as always Ray. Interesting couple of shots in the last post. Who was the driver of the little Japanese car? I see Janspeed signage on it, referring to the company run by Jan Odor who went on to run the factory Nissan team in the BTCC in the 1990s, with his son Keith driving.

Also, the yellow BMW 635, its rare to see a right hand drive version of this model. Most were lhd. Graeme Crosby raced a rhd version in early 1986, which I think was an ex-Charlie O'Brien car. But the car pictured has Eggenberger signage on it.

Rod Grimwood
09-26-2014, 01:54 AM
Steve, not sure but think O'Brien car (State Coal) car ended up in NZ, sure he ran also.

Steve Holmes
09-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks Rod, yeah I'm sure you're right about the O'Brien car. O'Brien raced it in 1985, painted red, before selling it to Croz late in the year, and he ran it for a short time before buying the Ray Smith owned AC&B VK Commodore, which I think was a Brock built car?

fullnoise68
09-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks Rod, yeah I'm sure you're right about the O'Brien car. O'Brien raced it in 1985, painted red, before selling it to Croz late in the year, and he ran it for a short time before buying the Ray Smith owned AC&B VK Commodore, which I think was a Brock built car?

Was it not a Les Small Roadways built car around the same time as the Chickadee Grice car?

Rod Grimwood
09-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Think it was a Roadways, either way you are right 'Steve'

rogered
09-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Was it not a Les Small Roadways built car around the same time as the Chickadee Grice car?

croz drove the roadways car at bathurst 1987 only, which was billington owned and originality the bowkett sleepyhead VK.

croz owned the AC+B car which was a HDT customer car which he used in the ATCC etc

rogered
09-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I believe Croz got the drive at bathurst 87 as this year it was a round of the world champs ( many aussie teams missed out. ) because he was a " name" allowing Billington a start. I think Billington originally had Chris Castle down as co driver

ERC
09-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Interesting couple of shots in the last post. Who was the driver of the little Japanese car?
Hi Steve. The driver of the Datsun Cherry was Martin Pearson. The car was entered by 'Specialist Cars from Highcliffe Garage' in Dorset.

As I said above, he was a regular at most Nottingham Sports Car Club meetings.

The tall chap with the white roll neck sweater is Dave Watson (not related to the ex-Notts County, ex- Manchester City ex England soccer player who I met a few weeks ago!) who was a regular club Steward and was for a time, Manager of the Hertz depot. I worked part time for him on Saturdays collecting and delivering cars.

I learned the art of hand-brake turns along with Dave, in the Hertz garage, driving Ford Fiestas!

ERC
09-26-2014, 10:36 PM
One for Old fart

One for AMCO

One for JAYDEE

jamie
09-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Post 387
Hi guys love the shot the Austin 7 Ulster the right colour and the big wheels of late model big 7.
Jamie

Kevin Hirst
09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Post 387
Hi guys love the shot the Austin 7 Ulster the right colour and the big wheels of late model big 7.
Jamie

Big 7 I thought only had pressed wheels, my one did, a1938 model.

ERC
09-28-2014, 12:28 AM
My favourite Mini based car - the Unipower GT.

One of the few Lotus failures

Probably the most unloved Marcos of all. The four seater Mantis

Overlooked as a possible NZ classic race car? Nottingham City Police used Standards, then later on, had Dolomite Sprints!

jamie
09-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Keven.
The Wheel's came of my Mum's 1936 3 main bearing Austin 7 and were 17" by 4 1/2".

Kevin Hirst
09-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Keven.
The Wheel's came of my Mum's 1936 3 main bearing Austin 7 and were 17" by 4 1/2".

sorry Jamie, Ithought you meant the changeover model 38/39 big seven, I had one of these in my youth, did a hell of a lot of miles in the few years Ihad it, wasn,t a bad old girl, cheers.

ERC
10-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Whenuapai 1992. Oh how we miss that event...

July 1996 on a freezing cold day at Curborough near Lichfield, Staffs, just off the A38. There is a sprint or owners club meeting on there most Sundays, from about March. Needless to say, this was a Marcos Owners Club meeting.

I haven't even started scanning the pics from some of the films from the Goodwood revival of 2000, but just happened to have this one done. Needless to say, a pile to do.

Love this pic! Epitomises the Chelsea Hillclimb run by Waitamata branch of the VCC each November. This is from the 2010 event.

ERC
10-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Made a start on scanning Goodwood 2000 pics. Gad, it is a slow process.

HWM were one of the celebrated makes. I love 1950's and 1960's GTs, especially from the smaller manufacturers and the one offs.

A real racing car.

I bet it never looked this good when it was brand new.

NOT the 250GTO.

ERC
10-04-2014, 04:34 AM
TACCOC October 4th 2014 Pukekohe - Practice only.

Just about all the pics taken at Pukekohe were taken from locations that would not be accessible on a normal, or higher profile day, taken as they were, either from photographer's 'holes in the fence' or unmanned marshal's posts. Denied access to these posts or the pits garage roof, would have meant being corralled behind the wire fences and zero photographic opportunities..

ERC
10-04-2014, 05:30 AM

ERC
10-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Back across to the North Shore (after a quick call into Hampton Downs to fire up the GT) where there was the Vintage Jazz inside the library (though they have dumped the banjo player in favour of a guitarist - boo) and supposedly a vintage car display outside. The display consisted of just two cars - a 1930 Talbot 90 sports and this Hotchkiss.

Frosty5
10-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Back across to the North Shore (after a quick call into Hampton Downs to fire up the GT) where there was the Vintage Jazz inside the library (though they have dumped the banjo player in favour of a guitarist - boo) and supposedly a vintage car display outside. The display consisted of just two cars - a 1930 Talbot 90 sports and this Hotchkiss.

Hey Butcher, do you complete the pirouette?!!!! The Cuda looks real great with all the decals on it now. And Tony, I see you are the new grass mowing contractor at Puke!!!!LOL

Dave G

ERC
10-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Maybe this will answer your question Dave!

Bryan
10-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Just about all the pics taken at Pukekohe were taken from locations that would not be accessible on a normal, or higher profile day, taken as they were, either from photographer's 'holes in the fence' or unmanned marshal's posts. Denied access to these posts or the pits garage roof, would have meant being corralled behind the wire fences and zero photographic opportunities..

Great shots, Ray. :D

Not impossible to find a photographic opportunity on a "normal" raceday, but rather limited places. A "big" lens helps.;)

ERC
10-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Very true Bryan, but I don't have a big lens and the number of places where that dratted chicken wire obscures the view is somewhat limited.

As sloper will testify, it was blowing such a gale on Saturday up at that end, that it was difficult enough to stand let alone point and shoot without bracing yourself. Not sure that with only one working hand that I could support a longer lens anyway without resorting to a monopod...

Bryan
10-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Very true Bryan, but I don't have a big lens and the number of places where that dratted chicken wire obscures the view is somewhat limited.

As sloper will testify, it was blowing such a gale on Saturday up at that end, that it was difficult enough to stand let alone point and shoot without bracing yourself. Not sure that with only one working hand that I could support a longer lens anyway without resorting to a monopod...

They're pretty good shots for one good hand in those winds. :D

ERC
10-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks. Modern lenses are just so good. Harking back to my pre SLR days, with Dad's ancient Leica, which means most of the pre 1982 shots, it was a case of setting shutter speed, 'f' stop and also the distance, as I didn't even have a range finder or light meter! You also had to remember to pull the lens out and lock it.

Nowadays, the camera instruction booklet is about an inch thick - and I am still learning...

I have been busy scanning some 2000 Goodwood negatives, but so many are rubbish compared with what I shoot today, but it is not easy to see that until you scan them - which takes ages. I cant wait to get back there (Goodwood) with the current camera instead of the compact I had to use in 2009.

Over 400 negative films (not just cars) - but at least they are all now filed in negative sheets and also listed on a spreadsheet. Even that was a time consuming mission.

Drawers full of mounted slides (many in glass), means it is a never ending project. Going back over those 400 films and also now trying to list the individual frames/subjects is such fun - not!

Bryan
10-06-2014, 08:07 PM
I was going to buy a DSLR to replace my old Pentax SLR, but opted to buy a Canon SX50 superzoom compact instead. Impressive image quality for under $1k, especially for what is effectively a 28-1500mm zoom. Really needs to be used with a tripod at the extreme end of the zoom, although I was quite impressed with being able to get the hairpin action will sitting by the pit entry.

Would love a DSLR, but would have to spend a lot more to get the same versatility and quality. Also have a big drawer of photos from the late '70s and early '80s that I need to scan - mainly Ruapuna, Levels and Wigram, but also some Baypark and Pukekohe, and various rallies. Just need to make the time...

ERC
10-07-2014, 03:21 AM
Back to August 1975. My first time with an SLR camera borrowed from a friend, but he'd loaded this ghastly Fuji slide film...

Reverts to Goodwood 2000.

ERC
10-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Goodwood 2000 - sports cars we don't often see in NZ, but from an era when the cars had real character - and more often than not, wire wheels.

We were so cold wet and miserable by this time, that we went back to the overnight accommodation shortly afterwards and I think I had to buy a new pair of shoes... Typical Goodwood weather.

ERC
10-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Saturday dawned sunny but with a bitingly cold wind. Apologies for all action shots going from right to left, but access to the inside of the track for pics wasn't possible. (Still Goodwood Revival 2000)

ERC
10-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Goodwood again, but the Festival of Speed, 2002.

One of the four Lancia D50 replicas - as no originals exist.

The Formula 1 car I'd most like to drive...

ERC
10-14-2014, 05:24 AM
Lotsa Lotus...

ERC
10-19-2014, 09:45 PM
British Grand Prix Silverstone 1973 - when the public had chance to see their heroes and the cars.

Is the ginger haired gent on the left, Geoff Manning I wonder?

As with the pic below, check out the background staff using Walkie Talkies (I presume) as this was in the days well before mobile phones.

Note the Team Surtees rather battered Ford Transit. A far cry from today's F1 paddock that is for sure. Initially, I thought this was a Brabham, but thanks to another contributor, this was in fact the practice Tecno and the Martini sponsorship went to Brabham the following year.

Some say, he looked like a Viking and the Rover badge on his special was most appropriate... Yes, there was a grid of historic cars as a support race.

Bryan
10-20-2014, 02:43 AM
The Team Surtees van is a left-hooker, possibly Chevy?
The Embassy Racing van in the top pic is a Transit, although not as quick as Ford's Supervan:eek:.

10-20-2014, 02:57 AM
ERC,
I think the marlboro BRM mechanic is probably pushing in his ear plugs. I doubt that Mr Stanley would spring for walkie talkies

ERC
10-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Well spotted Bryan! I think you are spot on.

I never saw the Ford Super van (Cosworth DFV powered?) but a legendary piece of kit!

You could be right about the BRM mechanic, but the Tecno guy certainly looks to be holding something to his ear.

* Edited to correct my initial note that it was a Brabham!

Alan Hyndman
10-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Youtube can help you on that count Ray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg6WdboK1nY

(According to the narrator, it's a 5 litre Gurney Weslake V8.)

conrod
10-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Youtube can help you on that count Ray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg6WdboK1nY

(According to the narrator, it's a 5 litre Gurney Weslake V8.)

correct, 5 litre Gurney Weslake/ Ford. The whole rear end, engine, transaxle and suspension were taken from a GT40 race car and grafted into the rear of the Transit.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/conrod1/1971-Supervan20120engine-thumb-448x304-109259.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/conrod1/media/1971-Supervan20120engine-thumb-448x304-109259.jpg.html)

Alan Hyndman
10-20-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm now picturing a GT40 out there somewhere with a Transit donk sitting in the back of it.

Bryan
10-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Wiki claims it was a steel shell bolted to a GT40 chassis. 1984's Supervan 2 was a fibreglass shell on a C100 chassis with a Cosworth DFL, and got rebuilt with a new body and Cosworth HB engine to become Supervan 3 in 1994.

John McKechnie
10-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Always said that it doesnt take too much to make a Tranzit into a Tranzam.

ERC
10-21-2014, 01:33 AM
I think that this was probably the first public appearance of the Jaguar XJ13 but as I wasn't keeping a diary in 1973, it looks from the background as though it was in fact taken on GP practice day. That being the case, I can't remember whether or not I was there both days and if so, did I do the journey home twice?!!!

Its a beggar getting old, but at least I kept a full diary from 1964 to 1969 and again, everyday since January 1st 1990.

What is interesting about this V12 Jag, is that it was competing at Curborough April 1974, not so very long after the model was announced.

If putting a 3.8 Jag engine into a Morris Minor wasn't enough, this one was supercharged! Hilarious to watch as it was bit wayward. Later, they removed the supercharger...

Sticking to the transplant theme, the "Berpop" was a regular at Mallory Park - though it sometimes didn't make the start.

This was the only time I ever saw this car.

ERC
10-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Currently up to January 1983, when I arrived in NZ, logging all the individual negatives only (not slides). Just over 4,000 so far (not just cars)...

Interesting - but tiring.

PC is away with major software problems (Raid - mirrors two hard drives) after one of the hard drives was replaced and some things no longer work as they should.

seaqnmac27
10-29-2014, 07:31 AM
Well spotted Bryan! I think you are spot on.

I never saw the Ford Super van (Cosworth DFV powered?) but a legendary piece of kit!

You could be right about the BRM mechanic, but the Brabham guy certainly looks to be holding something to his ear.

Looking again, is the guy with his back to the camera on the Brabham, one Bernie Ecclestone?

Sorry, am a bit confused as to the Brabham reference as there are no Brabhams in those pics, the Martini sponsored car would be Chris Amon in the Tecno and the white Surtees next to it, by the look of the helmet, is probably Jochen Mass.

ERC
10-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks very much for that. I should have checked instead of relying on what is obviously a fading memory... I must have been confused with my later visit to the British GP!

I'll adjust the words - incidentally, it appears that the car shown was only practiced and didn't race anyway!

The Martini sponsorship went to Brabham the following year.

seaqnmac27
10-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Actually, this is 73, Martini sponsorship at Brabham started beginning of 75. This is also the Goral design Tecno, as opposed to the McCall design, I will post the Autocourse pictures from 73 to show the difference

SPman
10-30-2014, 06:45 AM
British Grand Prix Silverstone 1973 - when the public had chance to see their heroes and the cars.

Is this Graham Hill's Shadow DN1?

SPman
10-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Is this Graham Hill's Shadow DN1?

ERC
10-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Yes!

To delete, click on the "Go Advanced" and tick the box on the left - and on the right...

khyndart in CA
10-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Silverstone 1973.
Here are 2 of the cars in your photos at Silverstone. July 1973
Note John Surtees in the background standing by Jochen Mass's white Surtees TS 14A)
The next day it was smashed in the Jody Scheckter first lap pile up

(photos from Motor Racing Year book 1974 Edition )
Actually the Year book is not correct as the Clay Regazzoni Marlboro-BRM P160 E had
number 19 for this eventful weekend.

SPman
10-31-2014, 05:40 AM
Yes!

To delete, click on the "Go Advanced" and tick the box on the left - and on the right... Tried all that - it stubbornly refuses to delete.
Did GH race the Shadow for the full year?

ERC
11-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Two things here. First of all, can anyone confirm the date? I believe it is January/February 1984 Benson & Hedges but I need the exact date.

Secondly, this negative strip wasn't in good condition so I attacked it with a photoshop filter and gradually removed the dust and scratches. My dad would have loved this technology, as he used to do it all by hand in the days of B & W pics. Called spotting on the prints.

The downside is of course that it takes an age to scan negatives and this just makes the whole process even longer, but I think it is well worth the time and effort on selected pics. Looks as though I missed the roof of the building on pic 2...

Milan Fistonic
11-07-2014, 10:00 PM
It was the 1984 B&H held on 28 October.

Car 3 - Kent Baigent / Neal Lowe
Car 73 - Brian Audas / Stuart McFarlane
Car 61 - Ed Lamont / Pete Ambler

I'll post the full entry list later.

ERC
11-07-2014, 10:53 PM
It was the 1984 B&H held on 28 October.

Car 3 - Kent Baigent / Neal Lowe
Car 73 - Brian Audas / Stuart McFarlane
Car 61 - Ed Lamont / Pete Ambler

I'll post the full entry list later.

Thanks Milan. I do have that programme but the film loose leaf is missing a few strips of negs and I mistakenly thought another pic was Ellerslie in February, hence my incorrect guess!

I really appreciate people correcting errors!

Bryan
11-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Photoshop did a great job of cleaning up those negs. Keep 'em coming... :)

ERC
11-13-2014, 04:21 AM
Prescott Hillclimb May 3rd 1970. Probably one of my all time favourite events. A co-promotion between the Bugatti Owners Club and the Ferrari Owners Club.

Martin Brain's Cooper Chrysler.

I was talking to Tony Roberts just three days ago about the Patsy Burt McLaren - running here with a more streamlined nose cone than usual.

We also spoke about Bob Rose who was a regular not just on the British Hillclimb circuit, but also lower key sprints.

Isn't this just the perfect colour scheme on a bright spring day? Sir Nick Williamson.

ERC
11-13-2014, 04:44 AM
more...

ERC
11-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Just to promote BRM's ready for the Ganley Festival... Diverse venues

Curborough sprint course - firing up an F1 car for a 900 yard run. Some would say that was BRM's forte in the early days.

Goodwood Revival

Hampton Downs

Hampton Downs

Monaco

Beaulieu National Motor Museum - reserve driver wasn't required.

ERC
11-22-2014, 04:44 AM
Originally, I thought this was 6th August 1951, Gamston - but it isn't! later, I found out that it was the first 1948 Silverstone meeting. Dad must have been there but never mentioned it!... Probably explains why I have a race programme.

Grant Sprague
11-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Eric , where is Gamston ?? I know there were two in NZ if its a 4CLT......

ERC
11-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Gamston was an airfield track in north Nottinghamshire, 1950/51, and was a serious contender for hosting the 1950 British Grand Prix, but lost out to Silverstone.

I have a race programme for August 6th 1951 and I believe that was the first meeting I attended - but obviously no photographs - so far.

However, it appears that this pic was possibly taken at Silverstone - which means my Dad must have been there in 1948, for the British Grand Prix 2nd October. I do have the race programme yet I can't ever remember dad mentioning going, so I must have acquired the programme when clearing out the house.

However, car 11 in the programme is not a Maserati (and it looks like a Maserati to me!), so maybe not so clear cut after all, though the other cars on the same strip of film appear to match the programme. Weird.

Aha - just had an email from the UK confirming that it was in fact the British GP and this is Luigi Villoresi driving. It also accurately dates a couple of family pics on the same film. Digital photography is so much easier - just as long as everyone has the date set correctly on their camera...

*The plot thickens... Number 11 appears to be Ascari according to other sources. Aaaargh!

ERC
11-24-2014, 09:10 PM
A real mix of pics this time - recently scanned. I am skipping all over the place in terms of dates and just grabbing films at random and with over 400 to choose from, I have my work cut out! I haven't yet made a start on the as yet unlogged slides.

Cuth Harrison's ERA had a 'streamlined' front.

Love the Bugattis!

That lovely Felday BRM again...

Wridgeway Horton ran this Jag for many years - then I believe, totalled it - and shifted to a Vauxall Firenza.

ERC
11-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Back to NZ

11-25-2014, 02:52 AM
the felday brm in post 439 has a lovely mechanic as well

ERC
11-25-2014, 04:55 AM
I think she may be looking for the driver of the Mini Marcos in the background...

1989 Pukekohe, January 16th I believe.

Mechanics not so attractive.

ERC
11-27-2014, 01:41 AM
From 1997 - Taupo and Manfeild

ERC
11-28-2014, 02:50 AM
Another mix - one from the UK for Dale and the rest from NZ;

Silverstone again

I haven't even tried to date this one yet or even identify the driver/car! Possibly December 1984?

Chelsea

We need more of this sort of car running!

Just for JAFA

ERC
11-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Another mix as I scan random strips of film...

Kiwiboss
12-01-2014, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=ERC;44049]Another mix - one from the UK for Dale and the rest from NZ;

Glad you're thinking of me Ray :) but very cool as I know lots of big American cars got raced in the UK but I didn't know any Javelins did, interesting. Dale M

[CENTER]
Silverstone again

Bryan
12-01-2014, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=ERC;44049]Another mix - one from the UK for Dale and the rest from NZ;

Glad you're thinking of me Ray :) but very cool as I know lots of big American cars got raced in the UK but I didn't know any Javelins did, interesting. Dale M

[CENTER]
Silverstone again

Discussion and photo in this thread
http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?72-Lost-Race-Cars/page3

1973 Tourist Trophy round 8 of ETCC, David Howes was entered in a Javelin (DNF).
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc/photo/Silverstone-1973-09-23.html

1972 photos can be found here (DNF)
http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/p%201972%20Silverstone.html

ERC
12-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Back to NZ, 1985. If anyone can confirm the exact dates, I'd appreciate it. Racing either March or April - Woodhill Rally April.

Looks like Tony Roberts in the (leading) Alfa

Paul Adams- Toyota

Kevin Andrews, dropping the flag, (Northern Sports Car Club then) now Waitemata VCC!

Spgeti
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
According to my old club records that is Tony's 1970 1750 GTV, rego FG8686. Number plates are great things ....

ERC
12-05-2014, 01:31 AM
NZ GP meeting December 1984

Rod Grimwood
12-08-2014, 04:40 AM
#442 Red RX3 with yellow wing on rear, the wing was actually off my Escort, (Ralt RT1) On practice day I fizzed a motor (this was actually last time I ran the car) Car was on trailer and we were having a beer and discussing the demise of the trusty old Ford 2Ltr. When (sorry can not remember the guys name) came over and started talking about the wing and did it really do anything. I told him to 'try it tomorrow' and we unbolted it and gave it to him. He turned up on Sunday with it mounted in the boot. we just had a quick look and wandered up to the hill to watch. Well first time down the back straight about where the kink was a huge trail of smoke down to braking for hairpin. All clear over hill and then smoke trail down front straight. He backed off and went to pits. We shot over to see what was going on and he said ' the back wheels are rubbing' we had a quick look and they had moved the setting to what we would run at Bay Park (basically full on). We reset it to what we ran at Puke (layed right off for top end). Next race he still just had rub on back straight but it sort of showed it did 'work' and was not just a BBQ table for after. Obviously we also had different springs etc for different places but he was convinced it worked.

fullnoise68
12-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Rod, I could be wrong but I think his name was Shane Watson, he had some connection to the Frays and Chevron Sports Cars. I see in one of the other photos, post #448 a green LH Torana about to lap the rotary hoes!, is that Shane Windelburns car that Peter Meadows ploughed into in his Corvette just before the hill at the Grand Prix meeting. Ray (ERC) have you got many photos from that same meeting as that RX3/ Nissan photo, a pink MK1 Escort in the Sports Sedans? :cool:

John McKechnie
12-08-2014, 07:38 PM
#581 on the Historic Sports Sedan thread shows the same red RX3 (87) without Rods spoiler running with Barry Algie

ERC
12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Ray (ERC) have you got many photos from that same meeting as that RX3/ Nissan photo, a pink MK1 Escort in the Sports Sedans? :cool:
I have a few more pics from that meeting but I can't recall a pink Escort - but when scanning, there is often stuff in the background that cropping shows up. Cost of film and processing being what it was, not to mention sending maintenance money back to the UK during Muldoon's pay freeze, thanks to an ex who flew off with my son, curtailed the number of photographs taken.

I also took a fair few slides over the years, but delving into that massive pile will be significantly more difficult to date accurately. Logging every single negative is bad enough as occasionally, a bit of detective work is required. Thanks to the good folk on here, some gaps have already been filled in. So far, about 7,600 negatives logged - and I am just up to the beginning of 1986! Motoring probaby accounts for between 40 & 50% of all pics taken on film, but with the advent of digital photography, the actual number of pics has sky-rocketed, but filing them digitally is a relative breeze.

fullnoise68
12-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Same car John, I think that`ll be the Grand Prix meeting which Rod and I would have run our Escorts in the Sports Sedans `Hansells Sun Valley?' The red Camaro in that photo may be Chris Toms from West Auckland, I think Mac Workman may have had something to do with that Camaro at the same time running his Commodore Sports Sedan.

Bailey
12-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Rod, I could be wrong but I think his name was Shane Watson, he had some connection to the Frays and Chevron Sports Cars. I see in one of the other photos, post #448 a green LH Torana about to lap the rotary hoes!, is that Shane Windelburns car that Peter Meadows ploughed into in his Corvette just before the hill at the Grand Prix meeting. Ray (ERC) have you got many photos from that same meeting as that RX3/ Nissan photo, a pink MK1 Escort in the Sports Sedans? :cool:

I think the LH Torana in this picture could be the car that John Turner raced around this time It was black,
whereas the Windelburn car was a dark gunmetal grey You are correct that the Windelburn Torana suffered
some severe damage as a result of the lack of talent that Peter Meadows displayed at that Grand Prix meeting !
It was also attacked on the startline, at a Pukekohe club circuit meeting, by some of those rotary hoes Rod
Grimwood, of whom many people on here will have now heard of, rectified that situation by administering some
'bush justice' in the pits afterwards, which certainly raised an eyebrow or two

John McKechnie
12-09-2014, 03:26 AM
So then all the Old stories are correct, there is an all knowing and all seeing presence that gives out a terrible vengence when aroused

Rod Grimwood
12-09-2014, 05:26 AM
Same car John, I think that`ll be the Grand Prix meeting which Rod and I would have run our Escorts in the Sports Sedans `Hansells Sun Valley?' The red Camaro in that photo may be Chris Toms from West Auckland, I think Mac Workman may have had something to do with that Camaro at the same time running his Commodore Sports Sedan.

That Camaro was built by Lindsay Willis and for Chris Toms and I think Mack Workman was going to take it over but it did not happen and it went to Barry Search from Wellington who had been running a fairly quick Cortina Mk4 V8.

Bailey, shush. That's how rumours start. You got John going already.

ERC
12-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Looks like early 1986 but would appreciate a confirmed date;

Paul Leuch talks, John Holmes listens.

Once again, I don't seem to have a race programme for this event so the date is important. Maybe Graeme can help as it shows the Bucklers?

Looks like decent crowd too.

Rod Grimwood
12-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Think you are right with name Steve, he and his mates were a good bunch and the connection with the Chevron Sports rings a bell. got a photo of him, Vern and me at Puke somewhere.

Rod Grimwood
12-10-2014, 06:04 AM
This was in Herald with a bit of a write up on car clubs. It was a Auckland Car Club meeting.

note the Escort was in club disguise with no wing, just boot tub.

Habu
12-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Think you are right with name Steve, he and his mates were a good bunch and the connection with the Chevron Sports rings a bell. got a photo of him, Vern and me at Puke somewhere.

Hi Rod, was wracking my brain about this when I saw pics of the little red Mazda a couple of days ago. I'm confident that the name you are looking for is Scott Watson. Pretty sure he worked for the Frays. Only reason I can remember is because my now Father in Law ran the Pitstop exhaust shop next door to Chevron Engineering in Onehunga all those years ago at that time. Remember watching that little RX3 run in the Sports Sedans - it was pretty damn quick too.

Paul Wilkinson
12-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Yep, his name was Scott. I remember something happening to his tow-car or trailer on the motorway so he rolled the RX3 off the back and drove it to Puke - nowhere near road-legal or low-profile! He was a good pedaller as i recall.

Rod Grimwood
12-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Thanks guy's, yea that him worked in Onehunga at Frays, remember calling to see him now. He was a good driver and the RX was pretty quick.
You wonder what these good guys went on to sometimes, be good to know and get in touch with them, there was a good group of guys back then playing amongst the serious. The mid field was a tight bunch on and off the track.

Les Laidlaw
12-11-2014, 07:11 AM
I haven't even tried to date this one yet or even identify the driver/car! Possibly December 1984?

Looks like Riley Hopkins in Grant Campbell's car. Not sure what year though

fullnoise68
12-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Hi Rod, was wracking my brain about this when I saw pics of the little red Mazda a couple of days ago. I'm confident that the name you are looking for is Scott Watson. Pretty sure he worked for the Frays. Only reason I can remember is because my now Father in Law ran the Pitstop exhaust shop next door to Chevron Engineering in Onehunga all those years ago at that time. Remember watching that little RX3 run in the Sports Sedans - it was pretty damn quick too.

Let`s just hope it wasn`t THE Scott Watson that made headlines involving a yacht a few years back ......

Andrew Metford
12-11-2014, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=ERC;44049]

Just for JAFA

Thanks Ray, I don't have any pics of the old girl on the track, and only a couple from Targa Bambina 2001, which turned out to the the cars' last event ( not because we crashed either!! We finished well and didn't put a mark on the car ).

That is Paul driving ( at Manfield? ), and how the car looked when I bought it from him. I wasn't a fan of all the stickers, and cleaned it up a little, and this is how it looked the whole time I ran the car.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u387/JAFA851/MG%20636/Pukekohe2001_zps5fe68280.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/JAFA851/media/MG%20636/Pukekohe2001_zps5fe68280.jpg.html)

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u387/JAFA851/MG%20636/DSC00738_zps193a822b.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/JAFA851/media/MG%20636/DSC00738_zps193a822b.jpg.html)
[/CENTER]/QUOTE]

ERC
12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
This is a very useful website and the most amazing range of venues and events covered.

If anyone can add to the site, it would be appreciated.

http://www.progcovers.com/motor/pukekohe.html

As you can see, there are obvious gaps needing to be filled.

ERC
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Nissan 500 Meeting - February 1985.

One or two well known people here... (Well known as flaggies anyway - and at least one VCC driver, maybe 2?)

ERC
12-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Four of my favourite cars purchased in the UK.

Second car. First Mini saloon, preceded by a Minivan... Well modified 850cc car which went surprisingly well. Owned it before marriage - and again after we split!

Followed by a genuine 998cc mini Cooper - mildly modified. Pic taken at my first ever event - an NSCC organised sprint at Cadwell Park.

The one that got away. A full rally spec 1293cc or 1320cc Cooper S. More fun to drive than any other car I ever owned, but sadly, it had to go back as I couldn't sell the 998cc (sporting a steel Clubman front following an argument with the concrete wall at Woodcote when I hit a puddle...).

The car I brought to NZ in 1983. I believe it is still around (but off the road, Snells beach area?). I'd like it back, as this was the car in which I had my first ever race - at Pukekohe. I didn't finish last either! A most underrated car and a real surprise with superb torque and a genuine 100mph top speed. Had it for a total of 6 years and apart from a 50c circlip, never let us down.

Bryan
12-12-2014, 04:14 AM
The car I brought to NZ in 1983. I believe it is still around (but off the road, Snells beach area?). I'd like it back, as this was the car in which I had my ever first race - at Pukekohe. A most underrated car and a real surprise with superb torque and a genuine 100mph top speed.

[/CENTER]

Austin Allegro Equipe 1750 2 door - very rare and collectible if in good condition - probably the only 2 door Allegro in NZ. BUY IT BACK!

Oldfart
12-12-2014, 09:19 AM
All Agro?

ERC
12-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Nah! Ex wife had a 1988 1300cc Allegro from new. Very economical, nicely balanced to drive and we never had any problems whatever.

The Equipe was the next Allegro and as stated above, was also reliable, but a little front end heavy and not as well balanced as the 1300.

I also bought a well used 1300cc here as a stop gap, but strangely, I have no pics of it.

There was someone who ran a nicely modified red 1300 at an MGCC Hillclimb way back in 1988 or so. Only ever saw it once.

Maybe I should buy another 1300cc and pop in the well modifed, low mileage 1293cc engine I have sitting in a corner of the garage!

Allegros may be the standing joke of a poor car (yes, heard all about body twisting!) but I have a soft spot for them.

ERC
12-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Back to the early 1980's - another day flagging... Again, the actual date would be useful. I'm guessing at 1984, about early May

Based purely on the vantage point, maybe this was at a later meeting, but is on the same film?

ERC
12-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Soggy Sunday - 'Outsource Christmas at the Downs':

John spun out of first place when the wet tyres went off.

Brian's new livery by 'Sign Solutions' looked very smart

John Ure found the Jag a bit of a handful. This spin popped the bonnet catch which caused an early retirement when it let go altogether.

John Fulford's debut drive in the MGB V8. The lime green paintwork makes it the third car of that colour to join the series. Eddie York's lime green Jaguar XJ40 came along also for its debut run, but as it has yet to do a single lap and the rain was heavy first thing, he was just one of many who decided not to risk it today. (Including me!)

Rod Hemmings' well campaigned TVR

nigel watts
12-14-2014, 10:50 AM

ERC
12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Wow! Great pic Nigel. According to commentator JT, John was finding the Escort a real handful up the front straight. Several drivers reported scarier moments on the straights than the corners during practice.

I was just chatting to someone when John lost it, so I missed the start of it. Isn't that often the case? Walk away or turn your back for a few seconds and you miss the action.

nigel watts
12-16-2014, 12:17 AM
A few more shots

nigel watts
12-16-2014, 12:18 AM

ERC
12-17-2014, 09:42 PM
My dates for this pic don't really marry up properly with what I thought. Obviously Pukekohe but whereas I originally thought it was 1989, I think it must be earlier, based on other stuff on the same film strip. Once again, flagging, so no programme... I don't have a programme with the Alfetta running #9 and the signage shows it was during the Hansell's series.

If anyone has the correct date, as always, I'd appreciate it.

ERC
12-30-2014, 10:04 PM
A mix again. These are all taken from colour slides. Some are glass mounted and I haven't dismantled them and cleaned the glass. As noted earlier, dating these accurately may be a total nightmare. Where the name of the image includes year, month and day, then they may be fairly accurate. Others are a temporary guess, so any confirmation would be appreciated on the NZ ones.

Doing a Google search for some of the UK ones hasn't proved easy or productive, but occasionally, you only need one confirmed date to date several others. The trick is finding that one!

Emeryson Formula Junior. Probably Donington 1987/88 but needs confirmation.

Span farm sprint. My car was rejected at scrutineering as it was still in primer! I never did get to run it in anger before dismantling it...

Possibly Steve Whitren or maybe even Andrew Thorne in the Rapier, but no date.

One of my favourite Mini based kit cars. The Cox GTM at a Mallory Park Kit Car day June 1987. Are there any of these in NZ?

Whenuapai 1993 so at least the date is correct.

Rod Grimwood
12-31-2014, 11:41 PM
No. 16 Datsun (Therapedic beds) at Span Farm was shared by the late Glen 'Jigger' Jones and his brother inlaw Kevin Gerbic. Glen set fastest and Kev was unfortunate to be on board when engine fizzed.

ERC
01-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Another mix and again from slides.

Not sure about the date for this as it was taken at a Silverstone test session and could have been after the TT and may even have been after Andy Rouse's time. I have no way of telling.

A tenuous link to the pic above as the Warwick had TR power. The Warwick/Peerless and particularly the Gordon Keeble cars are very much to my liking. Donington but again, date not confirmed.

Not sure if I had scanned this earlier, but the distinctive Gemini FJ.

More of a rarity in the UK than NZ, thanks to Nigel... Again, no accurate date. Part of the detective work is noticing what is in the background and in this case, the state of the Donington paddock is a key. What was metal was eventually sealed. Note the three Hondas.

SPman
01-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Is that an early Matra?

Some I found in a box over the weekend..badly scanned from colour negatives - I must redo them on the other computer
1967 Pukekohe
Peter Yock in his first appearance at Puke, I think,
Mustangs - Frank Bryan (I think) spun off at the hairpin on the last lap to leave the other 2 on a charge for the line
A40 action - haven't a clue who
The only pic I got of Robbies Fairlane at Puke - from afar
Andy in the Elfin

SPman
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Some B&W action at an Auckland club meet on the Club circuit at Puke - Dec 1969 I think.....again - badly scanned from B&W negatives

SPman
01-03-2015, 01:33 PM
and a couple more - Peter Bruin and Roger Anderson

grelley
01-05-2015, 01:17 AM
In the picture of the Dolomite Sprint, I am pretty sure the man in the brown jacket is Ralph Broad, of Broadspeed. I think the car is in Group 2 spec and it could be Andy Rouse in the centre.

ERC
01-05-2015, 03:19 AM
In the picture of the Dolomite Sprint, I am pretty sure the man in the brown jacket is Ralph Broad, of Broadspeed. I think the car is in Group 2 spec and it could be Andy Rouse in the centre.
Thanks for that. The car ran as #38 but given the obvious chill, I wonder if this is after the TT or before it? As I posted several pages ago, I kept a diary from 1964-1969, then from 1990 to date, so there are many gaps, especially where I don't have a race programme.

Fortunately in those days, most cars were issued with a new number at each meeting, which does make things a little easier, because these days, most of us run permanent numbers and the transponders enable several car #7's on a race programme instead of every car needing a unique number.

ERC
01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
As posted on the Ganley thread:

ERC
01-17-2015, 02:58 AM
From Saturday - Ganley Festival

Little 'n Large. Little won - Large retired. Little' is an American in a British car, Large is a Kiwi in an American car...

Beowulf

Just Snoozin...

More laps at the front of the field at HD than anyone else - and still no race win...

This is the crowd at 10am, Saturday... Judging by snatches on TV, that is better than most meetings. The car park was getting a bit full by Midday too.

Next year (2016) the Festival honours Porsche. The year after, this Kiwi icon - Kenny Smith.

ERC
01-17-2015, 03:30 AM
More Kiwi icons. Derb's of course (background), assisting his protege, John Tomlin on the PA. No idea who the dude is getting out of the McLaren, "the cars are the stars"...

According to the programme - and past programmes, this is Greg Thornton from the UK, having a real battle with Kenny Smith - but according to whoever did his signwriting, "Gerg Thornton".

ERC
01-20-2015, 02:32 AM
Formula Junior sample

ERC
01-20-2015, 10:47 PM
More from the Ganley festival, weekend #1.

ERC
01-21-2015, 09:29 PM
A few pics from Taupo. Not just older cars this time, but just to show the variety of machinery that may just be at a meeting.

Time attack...

I have never really understood why any modern race track has a starting grid that extends around a corner. No roll up to the starts were allowed this time for the handicaps (this pic is of the scratch race), which made a 32 car grid a long one and didn't help with handicap calculations either!

Good to see a couple of Ganley Festival entrants from the south island making the trip north and doing Taupo en route. I wish more would do that.

Jizim
01-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Some B&W action at an Auckland club meet on the Club circuit at Puke - Dec 1969 I think.....again - badly scanned from B&W negatives

Guess who is driving the Model A Roadster???? Very famous car! This is a car that we built at North Shore Automatics that equalled the Standing 1/4 mile record for NZ.....12 sec! This is Johnny Windelburn driving the the Colin Praast owned 427 Chev powered Model A Ford Roadster. I remember donning the grinder goggles and John took me for a blast down Porana Road and a million miles an hour.....was deadend in those days........an absolute weapon! Car ended up at Vazeys home with a tree growing right through it! They had to cut it up to remove it. Currently being restored by Peter Church at Bunce and Curtis North Shore.......regard, Tony Rutherford.

Jizim
01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
From Saturday - Ganley Festival

Little 'n Large. Little won - Large retired. Little' is an American in a British car, Large is a Kiwi in an American car...

Beowulf

Just Snoozin...

More laps at the front of the field at HD than anyone else - and still no race win...

This is the crowd at 10am, Saturday... Judging by snatches on TV, that is better than most meetings. The car park was getting a bit full by Midday too.

Next year (2016) the Festival honours Porsche. The year after, this Kiwi icon - Kenny Smith.

Excuse me....I did end up winning a race on Saturday in the Race proven VW Toe Rag!
Regards, Tony Rutherford

Roger Dowding
01-23-2015, 04:17 AM
ERC, knew a guy back in the 1990's early 00's called Owen Fausett, who ran a Rapier, had a car detailing business, I know he did a couple of Whenuapai events around 1999

ERC
01-23-2015, 07:33 AM
ERC, knew a guy back in the 1990's early 00's called Owen Fausett, who ran a Rapier, had a car detailing business, I know he did a couple of Whenuapai events around 1999
Owen is often around assisting Chris Atkinson (FJ Lotus) and is a regular poster on TradeMe - usually taking the mickey out of MGs...

ERC
01-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Weekend 2 - I was far too busy to take pics at the Ganley Festival, so just a couple of snaps from the compact camera.

When I first saw this, it was no more than a pile of bits in Chris Watson's garage on Sunnybrae Rd. Looked stunning

I'm sure when I first saw Major Arthur Mallock's U2, it was nowhere near as well presented as it is now.

Apparently, this was only completed yesterday.

crunch
01-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Apparently, this was only completed yesterday.

[/CENTER]

What is it Ray?