Thread: Is there a future for Formula Ford?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes, there is a future. It's obvious that the current F/Ford series is way below par. That is not to say that the 2 or 3 front runners are not good drivers, they have talent...the problem is there is not enough of them.
    Formula Toyota needs Formula Ford as a feeder class so there are more NZ'ers in the field. Only 3? this year and if there is a lean European presence one year, then we have a potential disaster.

Send me your email contact to crunch1@xtra.co.nz and I will send you the plan that I formulated 3 years ago, but unfortunately self-interested parties got in the way and it was stalled. I understand that the Chairman of the race commission has got a think-tank? together on motor racing in general in NZ, and I have been pressing him that this should be top of the list.
    The American Honda engine scenario is not an option. First question is do we need a newer fleet of Formula Fords or "dress up the older ones" (much like the NZ Govt did to the Skyhawks). The new Formula Ford Eco boost cars in Europe are the bees knees and very cost effective (50K NZ) but still a lot of money and we need to give a lead in time or notice period to the current cars. Of course the current fleet (or whats left of it) needs to be catered for at some level...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just to put you on a spot Crunch, Why is the Honda engine not a option, its very cost effective, more so than a Kent engine, and it has the WOW factor that appeals to the younger generation, a replacement engine does not have to be Ford, they stopped supporting FF years ago, in fact, that they now make new kent blocks, is due to fact that they were shamed into it by Honda supplying engines for the class in the States, where they now call the class Formula F ( Honda Fit motor).
    Roger

In my opinion the primary problem is not with the cars, it is with the fact that there is not a decent North Island FF series where the young guns can get relevant competitive racing and seat time before embarking on the National Championship.

Also there are not that many young guns coming through each year so the rest of field has to be filled with enthusiasts who will race for their enjoyment, year in year out. These guys can still provide good racing amongst themselves, even if they are not competitive with the front runners. All too often the also-rans are overlooked in the Championship focus and only belatedly given enticements to compete to swell the fields at the eleventh hour. That needs to change. And a means also needs to be found to instigate a series similar to SIFF in the North Island. However this probably needs to be driven by potential competitors rather than dictated by edict from the top. The question is where to race, without races you won't get competitors, and without competitors you wont get races!

There is a good historic series going in the NI. I wonder whether modern FFs could run in that, but maybe off the back of the grid, on 30sec delay for instance, until their numbers build sufficiently to warrant their own races?

There may be practical reasons why none of this can happen but I'm sure someone will quickly tell me.....

Edit. And talking about also-rans, the racing at that level can still be close and competitive and the costs are very reasonable. But they need a local NIFF series to compete in to make owning a car worthwhile. IMO
    Last edited by Russ Noble; 03-08-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Given that Historic FF joined the moderns at Taupo, so what is stopping the moderns from joining the Historics at HRC or TACCOC meetings? They don't have to be championship events. Or do they have to pay a (higher) sanctioned series race entry fee at a classic meeting? Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Noble View Post
    The average long term midfield runner with his $5000 motor that he can build and rebuild himself at minimal cost can still have good close racing with other guys who are doing the same thing.

The point is, they need to have somewhere to do it and in the NI other than the three national rounds, there is nowhere. In my opinion that is the biggest threat to the future of FF.
    In my opinion the primary problem is not with the cars, it is with the fact that there is not a decent North Island FF series where the young guns can get relevant competitive racing and seat time before embarking on the National Championship.

There is a good historic series going in the NI. I wonder whether modern FFs could run in that, but maybe off the back of the grid, on 30sec delay for instance, until their numbers build sufficiently to warrant their own races?
    Just re-reading all the posts in this thread because this subject is close to my heart.

No one has addressed these points (or rather this one repeated point) regarding moderns racing with the historics. Since this site is firmly planted in the historic/classic camp, surely someone here could comment......

Thanks,

Russ

Banned
    Just re-reading all the posts in this thread because this subject is close to my heart.

No one has addressed these points (or rather this one repeated point) regarding moderns racing with the historics. Since this site is firmly planted in the historic/classic camp, surely someone here could comment......

Thanks,

Russ
    Russ,

A true FF supporter and a voice of reason. I agree!!! let's hope someone at MSNZ takes notice! I've never met Crunch but if anyone at MSNZ is going to take notice then surely this man, the only one so far from MSNZ with the balls to front up.

Yes I agree, massive kudos to crunch for fronting. I'm sure life would have been a whole heap easier for him just to stay away and bury his head in the sand. That someone of his standing makes himself available to competitors and appears to at least consider, and answer where he can, all the various concerns expressed makes me think maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

However, I don't see providing racing with historic FF for late model cars is the responsibility of MSNZ, rather it is up to the historic competitors and organisers that would have to allow them to race with them. Lets face it, initially the numbers aren't going to be that great, so whats wrong with a handful of moderns running around at the back of your fields? The average Joe Public can't tell one single seater from another, so its hardly going to impact on the image, and if they are running way behind the historic field why should the historic drivers care?

Banned
    Yes I agree, massive kudos to crunch for fronting. I'm sure life would have been a whole heap easier for him just to stay away and bury his head in the sand. That someone of his standing makes himself available to competitors and appears to at least consider, and answer where he can, all the various concerns expressed makes me think maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

However, I don't see providing racing with historic FF for late model cars is the responsibility of MSNZ, rather it is up to the historic competitors and organisers that would have to allow them to race with them. Lets face it, initially the numbers aren't going to be that great, so whats wrong with a handful of moderns running around at the back of your fields? The average Joe Public can't tell one single seater from another, so its hardly going to impact on the image, and if they are running way behind the historic field why should the historic drivers care?
    That is another point to be considered Russ but it still does not address the exorbitant cost rises that have stifled the class over the past decade.