Thread: Is there a future for Formula Ford?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    The new spec F/Ford that I would like to see introduced to NZ over a phase in period is 35K pounds and the engine/gearbox is sealed by Ford. In two years time these cars will be secondhand and around the $30-40K NZ mark.
    Do you mean the Ecoboost 200? Approx 200 bhp, 6 speed sequential, wings and slicks. spaceframe car?

Doesn't TRS only have about 220 bhp? Maybe cheaper than TRS but don't you think young kids in a hurry with money, would skip this and go straight to TRS since the spec is not that dissimilar? Since thats where they are headed anyway.... And lets face it, you've got to have money to be a young kid successful in motor racing, Frankly I see this as too far removed from the original FF concept to be a logical replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    Although the Kent engine has 40 years of history behind it; the current ones are not "old" and are very reliable as long as the driver doesnt cock-up a downshift and over-rev. You should be able to do the whole season without pulling apart any of the engine with the current regulations.
    And I can testify that even after half a dozen times cocking up the UP shift (ie flat shifting from 2nd then get 1st when looking for 3rd), massive over revs and it still hangs together. I have now redone the linkages, that has the potential to be the cheaper option! The Kent engine is pretty bulletproof all round. I think wacking the flywheel on the ripple strips probably leads to more broken cranks than a few over revs. I think any motor would be susceptible to that.

OK. So suddenly we wind up with a handful of Ecoboosts here as the new class. What will that change, other than all the existing cars have instantly become redundant?

I know, as Wally has commented, that there are "pet" named motors in FF that if you want to be a front runner you have to buy or lease. Its solid dollars but compared to the costs they are going to incur in subsequent years as they move into other formula, it's peanuts. Thats the way it is, money talks. The type of guys that spend that sort of money will always be there, passing through. The average long term midfield runner with his $5000 motor that he can build and rebuild himself at minimal cost can still have good close racing with other guys who are doing the same thing.

The point is, they need to have somewhere to do it and in the NI other than the three national rounds, there is nowhere. In my opinion that is the biggest threat to the future of FF. Not whether we retain the Kent engine, or go to a Honda Fit or go Ecoboost 200.
    Last edited by Russ Noble; 03-11-2013 at 09:33 AM.