Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Whilst attending the WRC Rally in Spain in 2011 I was introduced to the new manager of Ford Motorsport, obviously the changes in the world economic scene has put many plans on hold, but he did tell me that they were looking at a total revamp of Formula Ford world wide bringing the cars back to a more simple chassis that did not need a F1 engineer to get the best out of it and a control engine that they would supply, the engine to be good for a minimum of three seasons and would be leased from Ford. The thoughts that he expressed to me were quite enlightening and it was very clear that he wanted FF to go back to what is used to be say during the 1980s but with a more modern engine and I would like to think that this plan has only been shelved and not consigned to the rubbish tin. For sure he was adamant that there needed to be a stepping stone between Karts and something like Formula Renault or Formula Toyota where young driver could learn to engineer cars as well as drive them
Although this site is supposed to be about motorsport history and historic motor racing, I feel compelled to let this thread run, because in many ways, FF has such an important and significant history, its that very history that makes it such an important stepping stone for young drivers, to achieve what the hero's of the past have also achieved. To win an FF championship is significant, on a world scale, and is instantly recognised everywhere.

I like what you've suggested here Carlo. Although it might be tempting to try another engine package based on the old FF principles, I feel that to do so would give the feeling of it being a brand new category, rather than reviving/restoring/boosting an existing category that has such a rich and important history. When I hear of a new category being introduced, it somehow always feels temporary, because so many categories come and go, nothing ever seems to stick around for very long. They arrive with a hiss and a roar, plenty of razzamatazz, with manufacturer backing, big fields and real cut and thrust racing, then over the next 3-4 years fizzle away to nothing.

At least FF has 40 years of history behind it that somehow gives a feeling of reassurance that a modern revamped version would be around for the long term.

Its the lists of drivers, current and past that have gone on to much greater things that makes FF so important.