Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
Hi Habu
I fear that you may have been misinformed regarding the costs of Formula Ford. A lot of misinformation has circulated regarding $$$ required for quite a few years.
You can buy a current championship car complete for around the 30K mark, not 70K as you have been told. Although the Kent engine has 40 years of history behind it; the current ones are not "old" and are very reliable as long as the driver doesnt cock-up a downshift and over-rev. You should be able to do the whole season without pulling apart any of the engine with the current regulations.

The new spec F/Ford that I would like to see introduced to NZ over a phase in period is 35K pounds and the engine/gearbox is sealed by Ford. In two years time these cars will be secondhand and around the $30-40K NZ mark.
Hi Crunch,

Ok, possibly a little optimistic in my pricing, but a competitive car I would ascertain is going to cost between $30-60k. The Kent engine is brown bread, and as you have indicated, an over rev with a novice driver see's an unhappy Dad, a sorry kid, and a box of bits ready for the engine builder of your choice. The quality of racing in either the First or Ford class at the pointy end of the field, I would never dispute - its great racing.

I'd be keen to see what MSNZ thinks it costs to run a competitive car per meeting, comparative to the figures I've heard banded around.
Its just a shame that the cost to have an endorsed replacement will take a few years to implement. I imagine that like a lot of motorsports around the world, our governing body here is both trying to attract new blood, and satisfy and retain its existing participants.....