Thread: NZeder's Datsun 260z Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NZeder's Datsun 260z Build Thread

Right Steve suggested I start a build thread so here goes.

I have been a big Datsun Z fan for years, I have owned 7 over the last 20 years. I currently have 2 one is the first Datsun Z car I purchased when 21 years of age the other one is what this build thread is about (but if others want to see the road car/modified build I could also talk about that too)

Those that know me know that I don't spend a lot of time out in the shed working on my zeds no excuses really I need just pull finger and get them done.

I first got into racing a Datsun 240z after doing some club stuff with my road Datsun 260z (2 seater - same body shape as the 240z - most think of the 260z as the 2+2 but Nissan/Datsun did make them in 2 seater version also but they were produced in much smaller numbers that 240z so are actually a rarer car).

So I purchased a 1972 Datsun 240z that was already setup as track car - with a full cage (not strut to strut) but it was an Automatic - it was a good way to learn mind you as gear changes were few and far between and limited engine braking so you had to learn to brake with well the brakes alone.

Anyway fast forward a few years and a few other zed passed into and out of the garage I picked up a NZ New Jan 1974 Datsun 260z that was getting built up as a targa car.

This how it looked when I got it home.

The issues the car when purchased.
    1. The cage was built in 2004/5 (purchase the car in 2011) and log book and homologation for the cage had not been applied for - however the cage builder had the details to get this sorted. I was very lucky that even though the rules had changed during this time the owner at the time insisted the main hoop be the large size has he thought he might take the car to Australia for a Targa event and CAMS required the larger hoop when NZ did not at the time.
    2. Classic racing is what I want to do so a number of the mods done to the car needed to be undone to get to T&C compliant.
    3. The cage was already painted and the cage builder could not find the photos he took back in 2004/5 as he had changed computers twice since then and one was forced after a crash - so the paint had to come off to get photos.
    4. Some parts had gone missing during it time at the different shops (fabricator, panel/paint etc)

Right so some pictures of the car as it was in the fabricator shop (I knew of the car for years and knew the owner via info sharing of my zed car knowledge)

Last edited by nzeder; 12-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.