Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Yards And Yarns

Aha Bob the old incinerator, slip a bit of fibrolite in when brother and mates getting ready for cooking saussies on sticks for big adventure, and sit back in shed and watch, Boom, saussies and forks every where, and young fellows looking around wondering what the hell was that. My mates were mean to them.

World Champion

the Bear

Early Photo of Denny Hulme???? ,)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Does not look grizzly enough...

Yep I grew up admiring the Bear and Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon and still do. But i have reservations about Denny Hulme a little after the 86 Mobil at Puke, I got the snarl and fix it from him before the race and we were way down the field and never going to be a threat to anyone. We were driving a Commodore (NZ Built) and without all the fancy engine bits they did not like heat, would run nice temp at 6500 but you nudge up to 7000 and up went the gauge, so I pulled the bottom of the grill out of its mounts and angled it back a fraction to give it a little more air, and it was sweet. As I said before we were not a threat (about 4 plus seconds) off the big boys. sitting on the grid and Denny walks up and suggests i put the grill in properly or he will protest. I just could not believe it, so yep we put it back and as soon as the 5 minute board went up it happened to slip out again and was tapped in position so it did not come right out. If we had the big gear and budget i could understand, but we were just there for the experience and had a ball. Ironically during the race i got to braking at end of back straight after just starting my second stint and haveing been told the brakes feel funny, when yep they were funny like not there, I look up and here is Mr Hulme in the gold Commodore turning into hairpin and i think "neat now i am going to take out the best known driver in NZ" thank god I could spin the car and went right around the back of him. That would not have been a good look and I reckon he would have been more grumpy.

World Champion
    Geez Bob, dirty rotten stinking bastards. Is nothing safe these days. I have my trailer, which I built from scratch, secured with a bloody great wire rope round it. Thick wire rope is almost impossible to cut with bolt cutters, although the weak link is the BIG paddlock. I shouldn't have to take such precautions, but you do. You have to wonder what these turkeys are going to use it for, because I'm sure you will recognise it were it to turn up at a race meet. Very distinctive wheels, should be able to spot them a mile off. Anyway good hunting.

World Champion
    Just a bit of trivia here, and to keep Yards & Yarns on page 1.!!!!!!!!! I see there are 3 threads that are now in the exclusive '10 grand club'. 'Images from my past' has just powered away from everyone with 17,000 hits; 'yards and yarns' follows with 12,000, and 'lost race cars' in 3rd place with 11,100. Shellsport cars knocking on the door with 9,200. Is surprising that some threads you might have thought would be popular, have just died and gone to heaven. Quite a lot have had only one reply and a few have had NONE....Amazing. Steve, you must be very happy with the way this has all turned out, after all there are other similar forums out there, but the thing that strikes me on roaringseason, is the general friendliness of the participants. I know I have put my foot in it sometimes, and I have been 'shot down', but in the nicest possible way......vigourous discussion is encouraged and insults are not. By the way Steve, why have I been elevated to the exalted position of....semi-pro racer????? All very flattering but people who know me might question that position!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Think its related to the number of posts you have made Gerald, probably meant you to encourage you to make even more... dont worry, by the time you get up in the thousands they probably do something really nice like tell you to get a life... I see I am classed as a ''Journeyman Racer'', heck that is about what I would have called myself back in the early 70's, makes me feel like I have been spinning on my own oil for the last 40 years, & all this time I thought it was someone elses oil!!

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbanger View Post
    A Citroen Light 15!
    Interesting routing of the exhaust pipe and I suspect 'porkies' re the 1200cc capacity rating given the smallest engine in a right hand drive L15 was 1911cc. The smallest engines ever in L15's were pre WWII left hand drive cars in France of 1303cc and 1628cc capacity.
    Mick Stupkas Light 15 @ the 2011 Sandown Historics

OK. NOW, I've seen it all....

I like that its certainly different and challenging,puts a different slant on you pre 60 thinking

World Champion
    The car looked and sounded great , and was running mid pack ...I had a chat to Mick Stupka, It seems he ran the car back in the early 60s and it had been sitting in his garage for quite a few years. He said the engine had a lot of torque and that he didn't rev it over 5000rpm. He also mentioned that he had done a lot of work on the bottom end.

World Champion
    How does he get away with a wood-rimmed steering wheel????? A bit too modified for Oldfarts class though. By the way the Wolseley 4/44 that I reported seeing on SH1 near Hamilton seems to have gone. Could have been a good runner.

World Champion
    And what about the Millen hillclimb course on his property at Hahei on the Coromandel? That looks a bit interesting. Only for his house guests though. Dont think I will get an invite!

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    How does he get away with a wood-rimmed steering wheel????? A bit too modified for Oldfarts class though. By the way the Wolseley 4/44 that I reported seeing on SH1 near Hamilton seems to have gone. Could have been a good runner.
    Only issues I see are the carbs (Wbers were available to the suitably well heeled pre 60) and the tyres.
    Plenty of woodrim wheels PROVIDED that they have a continuous metal ring as I read the rules?

Name:  Top-1.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  71.5 KB

Away back we discussed John Rileys car sales building ,well this one was the one on the Saleyards Road corner

Cool, thankyou for posting that. Looking at the Mustang, that poor old girl had done a fair bit of racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yep I grew up admiring the Bear and Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon and still do. But i have reservations about Denny Hulme a little after the 86 Mobil at Puke, I got the snarl and fix it from him before the race and we were way down the field and never going to be a threat to anyone. We were driving a Commodore (NZ Built) and without all the fancy engine bits they did not like heat, would run nice temp at 6500 but you nudge up to 7000 and up went the gauge, so I pulled the bottom of the grill out of its mounts and angled it back a fraction to give it a little more air, and it was sweet. As I said before we were not a threat (about 4 plus seconds) off the big boys. sitting on the grid and Denny walks up and suggests i put the grill in properly or he will protest. I just could not believe it, so yep we put it back and as soon as the 5 minute board went up it happened to slip out again and was tapped in position so it did not come right out. If we had the big gear and budget i could understand, but we were just there for the experience and had a ball. Ironically during the race i got to braking at end of back straight after just starting my second stint and haveing been told the brakes feel funny, when yep they were funny like not there, I look up and here is Mr Hulme in the gold Commodore turning into hairpin and i think "neat now i am going to take out the best known driver in NZ" thank god I could spin the car and went right around the back of him. That would not have been a good look and I reckon he would have been more grumpy.
    i remember doing some BMW customer drive days at Manfeild with denny and brett Riley etc.We had some very interesting interpretations on driving skills by some of these people-after one particularly bad day we were in a group engaging and taking questions from the group and denny piped up to one particular fellow and asked him "how are you getting home from here mate" ,to which the guy replied "ummm... i'm driving home"---to that Denny said "well good luck..." and wandered off-----Gold.

World Champion
    Name:  IMG_0961.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  107.9 KB

I have no idea whether this has worked. Is a pic of the 3.8 Jaguar I mentioned in one of the yarns. Have just done this to practice. Will post a pic of the XK120 C mentioned in the 8 mile chase if this works. If it doesn't I apologise!

You've nailed it Amco.

World Champion

Don't know where else to post this

The legendary Linda Vaughn takes a ride prior to the start of a race at Road Atlanta in 1971.