Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

Roger: My mistake, I should know better than to make assumptions like that.

From Wikipedia: Later in 1989, Blackaller entered a Swift Engineering DB2 Sports 2000 with Sonoma County (California)-based Pfeiffer Ridge Racing for the IMSA 300 Kilometer race to be held at nearby Sears Point Raceway (now Infineon Raceway), on 10 September of that year.

Blackaller suffered a heart attack while practicing for that race.

I'm looking at the photo of Millen in the Tullen sponsored RT4 (I watched it being built one evening in the Millen basement in Browns Bay) and trying to figure out #17.

Old Racing Cars says 'Robbie Hislop - March 74B' - hello London!

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Not so far! That did look good. Pacific/Atlantic had its' detractors (what's new ?) but without it, we may not have been privileged to see The Great Rosberg, Rahal, Fabi, Jones, Berg and co, and a fleet of upwardly-mobile Anzacs. Let alone the squad of mechanics, managers and gophers able to get a toe in the door overseas....
    The sad thing was the class gained some support and momentum and then it faded and was gone ,a real pity as it was achievable to compete in and something to aim at ,I for one was sorry that it went before I got the chance to run in it

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I'm looking at the photo of Millen in the Tullen sponsored RT4 (I watched it being built one evening in the Millen basement in Browns Bay) and trying to figure out #17.

Old Racing Cars says 'Robbie Hislop - March 74B' - hello London!
    Mmeory's gone on that one, and I don't have programmes that modern

Don't recall the 74B being rebodied in that configuration. I'd go for Steve Cameron in the Cuda JR5 (but wouldn't pout a lot of money on it)

I thought the JR5 too - pale blue and sponsored by an aircraft broker at Ardmore. I know anything is possible but I'm not sure how you turn a March 74B into something that looks like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I thought the JR5 too - pale blue and sponsored by an aircraft broker at Ardmore. I know anything is possible but I'm not sure how you turn a March 74B into something that looks like that!
    Michael ,Robbie Hislop,I think that was just a conventional March 74B ,I have just been trying to tie it up with a year ,I think he was the chap whose mechanic came around to my shop and got me to check and try and sort out the problems they were having with the ignition system ,etc over the Bay Park / Pukekohe time one year ,the rest of that story belongs in Yard and Yarns !

#17 also notice Fiat sponsor across bottom of windscreen cowl. Didn't Gary Pedersen have tie up with Fiat dealership.

notes scribbled on the rear of this photo.........
    Robbie Hislop - March 74b - Baypark - New Years meeting 1982
    Attached Images Attached Images  

From Motoraction

Former FF driver Robbie Hyslop was making his Pacific debut in his own car. This had started its New Zealand career in the hands of Alan Crocker, and then passed into the hands of Kenny Smith, for whom Ken Sager and Robbie Booth drove it on occasions. Although basically a 74B, the car had been fitted with ground-effects side-pods and a shovel nose, and looked rather reminiscent of the Ehrlich which Ian Flux raced here a couple of years ago. The car is yellow, and sponsored by Frosty Boy ice-cream and National Mutual. Before Bay Park it had done only a few shake-down laps at Pukekohe

Milan its coming back now ,I remember the Frosty Boy signage, the chap who was working on this car at that time worked in a engineering shop in Avondale, Auckland.He had worked with PDL in Christchurch before coming north,I think he went off to the USA and did something in motor racing over there after this ,I remember him returning the following Christmas and dropping into the shop and catching up with us

Great detective work Milan - as I said earlier..anything is possible!

In which case it is the car pictured in Milan's post #49 several pages ago. As noted, a genuine 74B, bought new by Wella for Ted Wentz to run in the two UK Atlantic series.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks Milan - the memory's not what it was

Where is that car now I wonder?

Semi-Pro Racer
    It was sold (presumably by Ken Smith) to someone in Oz who wanted the bits to rebuild a 732. When the 732 was sold about five years ago what was left of the 74B went with it. I'm told the 74B tub exists

The more I look at the #17 rebodied March 74B, the more I'm convinced it's the same car that Tony Batchelor of Christchurch ran in SI Formula Libre and I think the Lady Wigram Trophy from around 1985 to 1988.

Does this ring bells with anybody else?
    Last edited by bigbanger; 10-31-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, the car went to Tony Batchelor and then Keith Laney
    Although the Hislop body didn't ring any bells, the same shape when Batchelor had the car in 1983 does...

I thought I would share an album of photographs I came across today, Atlantic Racing in the US and Canada in the 70's and early 80's. Some awesome photographs there. A few kiwi's are present, Allan McCall (and his Tui's), Dave McMillan and David Oxton.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...th/4492411672/

Semi-Pro Racer
    Isn't there some stirrings being made to resurrect Formula Pacific in NZ, there should be enough cars lurking about in dusty sheds.Steve Donaldson has 2 Ford powered Swifts, one being the Panasonic car that won 1989 Wigram.

Yup - I understand a swag of RT4s have come into NZ in recent times, there are some Swifts plus the Ralts, Marches, Chevrons and stuff that already live here.

The plan, as I've been told, is to have some sort of a body that made F5000 so successful here - not word yet as to whether you can only race if you own the car/your father owns the car or you raced in period...