Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    These 2 photos are the only motor racing ones in my late father's collection. He wasn't a motor racing fan, boats were more his thing, living in Devonport. We never got an explanation of the photos from him, but a friend of his was a salesman for one(?) of the car firms in Albert St, Auckland in the late 1920's - 1930's and that may have been the connection.

Stu
    There was a big grass track oval at Devonport where the Golf course is now opposite the old Gas works in those older days. It had a swamp in middle as well i think as the sea came right upto the other side of the road. There used to be races for motor bikes and cars, and you sat up on a hill to watch. Remember going to watch with my grandfather and father when i was very young. They were big meetings.
    GeeWhiz, you must be really really Old, Uncle Rod!
    That was the "Takapuna Racecourse" which goes back to the 1890's. When my mother took up golf she first played there (1950's) it was only 9-holes and I think parts of the old horse race course were still visible, but later they made it into 18 Holes.

It was used for motor cycles as well as horses and was quite a lethal place according to my father - about 10 jockeys and at least one motor bike rider were killed there. They got huge crowds there for the bikes, estimated 20,000 for one meeting 1929? with top riders like Percy Coleman etc. I don't know when bike races stopped there, before WW2 I guess. I think the left grandstand was stiil there years later (may still be?) used as the golf Clubhouse. I never heard of cars racing there, but anything was possible in those days.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    I have heard of cars racing at Takapuna in the '20s, but never seen anything beyond that simple statement

Not that old thanks Stu, I can remember the bikes at the horse track but was not one of the 20,000. It was late 50s. Remember my dad talking about cars, but I can only remember watching the bikes. They were big meetings with big hot-dogs covered in sauce that always found its way onto your nice clean shirt that mum had sent you off in.
    As a by: looking back i was lucky as my Grandfather and dad took me to these events when i was very young and also to Ardmore for GP meetings before Pukekohe along with trips to Western Springs (found out dad raced until I was born) across on the car ferry in the afternoon and then the big drive around the top of the harbour past Whenuapai, Riverhead, Albany and back to Milford. Alot on shingle and those old Vauxhalls bounced around a bit. I was doomed from the start.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 12-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.

World Champion
    What ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Latest entrant for HMC series, large quantities of hot air reqd!

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Latest entrant for HMC series, large quantities of hot air reqd!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Called a Glideair Hovercar, who made it? Ford Motor Co in 1961, front end has some Econoline likeness, just as well it never 'took off', Dale & co might have ended up racing them 50 years later!

World Champion
    Who and what pretty easy - but where?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Rex would not mind, and thats why i need to contact him as he will have a container full of photos, and information.

Known him a little while, he still holds the Rally car lap record of Baypark, V8 Chevette. I believe he has the original car back. He is in Aussie.
    Correct Guys. I stored his Rally Chevette before sending it down to Napier for his original then my Rally co driver John Chiverrell who was a master car painter to freshen it up then we sent it to Perth where it still is.....Rex like my self was a founding member of East Bay Rods on the North Shore years ago....he left me with a huge amount of his photo collection. May have to get our Swedes together Rod over a bottle of Jack Daniels and sort a few for this site. I personally have over 50,000 digital pix up to present day racing and probably 20,000 photos of years gone by....I must take the time to sort these to get them on this site....I do need a hand as I dont know how to put them up. Kind regards, Tony Rutherford.

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    only one image so far your mate fastest man in an Austin A 35 at Ardmore always last out onto the track in later yrs John Windlburn
    When i worked for John he showed me a photo of his A35 on two wheels...he said it didnt roll...for all money it was over ..but no it didnt flip. This is a great shot aye.....he drove one of these old cars at the Festival of Speed at Hampton Downs a couple years ago....Johnny Windleburn....living legend guys....my true hero. Kind regards, Tony Rutheford.

Bry - my first thought was Max Stewart - and if that is right then the colour would lead to a Mildren - and if that is correct, what about a wild stab at Singapore?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Bry - my first thought was Max Stewart - and if that is right then the colour would lead to a Mildren - and if that is correct, what about a wild stab at Singapore?
    Top of the class Micheal

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead...

Know who, Know where, but what is going on. Hopefully Kevin may see this and fill us in.

Found this on Bob Jane sight as well. Some good stuff there.

And another for our Australian friends, at this moment it is not damaged, but think that will change in a hurry.

Any one know what happened here. Looks like he has just tripped.

Dumpty the Humpy had a great fall?
    Is not the speed that kills, its the stopping?
    Undertaking on the corner?
    Car goes faster when you remove the drag friction of 4 tyres on the road
    next caption please...
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.

I'd say a Sandown 500 race 74 and KB is driving up to pick up a trophy?

Rod,

That photo's Norm Beechey in his 'PK 752' Holden heading for a big one. It was the January 1964 Calder meeting (debut of the Neptune Racing Team) with Bob Jane in the Fiat.

That actual photo made the front cover of the March 1964 Racing Car News.

Stephen

Eek ! Being 1964, I wonder if he was wearing anything more substantial than a diagonal belt ? Looks like a big one...

The RCN Calder report shows 4 other photos, three being of the roll sequence. The car came to rest on the driver's side and the report mentions Norm climbing out through the shattered windscreen.

The caption of the photos actually states "... - a vivid testimony to the efficiency of safety belts."

Happy to scan & email the sequence from RCN if there's someone happy to post it here. Just need an email address.

Stephen