Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The Race Replica Debate

THe fantastic work that Wal Will is doing with the McBegg should offer plenty to discuss ,was the car crashed before it was broken ,did it go into an OSCA Viva , how did he come into the parts he did get,this is a classic example of the sort of car that should be reinstated, replicated,and will give us all a massive thrill when it runs,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    may be but never drove at 120 mph with a trailer!!!!
    MAYBE YOU WERE NOT CAPABLE OF DOING SO!

DONT SEEM TO REMEMBER FANGIO HAVING TO DO SOMETHING SO STUPID but then motorsport has always had BIG SHOWOFFS

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    THe fantastic work that Wal Will is doing with the McBegg should offer plenty to discuss ,was the car crashed before it was broken ,did it go into an OSCA Viva , how did he come into the parts he did get,this is a classic example of the sort of car that should be reinstated, replicated,and will give us all a massive thrill when it runs,
    I'm also loving the McBegg Thread... Looking at Jenks list , I still can't decide : Resurrection? Replica??.. whatever it is, it's a fantastic addition to the Historic Scene, worth a trip across the Tasman just to see it running!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bry3500; 01-12-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    DONT SEEM TO REMEMBER FANGIO HAVING TO DO SOMETHING SO STUPID but then motorsport has always had BIG SHOWOFFS
    NO! FANGIO TOWED HIS TRAILER AT 140MPH.

Russ, you need to get your computer fixed, the Caps Lock appears to be stuck.
    Posting in capitals is considered shouting.
    Thanks.

Russ, Is your hearing going ?????????????????

Banned
    SORRY! WHAT DID YOU SAY WOODY?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Russ, you need to get your computer fixed, the Caps Lock appears to be stuck.
    Posting in capitals is considered shouting.
    Thanks.
    Jeez Pallmall! Using a computer is challenge enough but computer etiquette? CARRYING THINGS A LITTLE TOOOOOOO FAR!

I'm going to put my big toe into this.
    I really think that 'The Jenks Interpretation' is very solid.
    Funny thing was that back in the day, one didn't even think chassis/model numbers, or what might be 40 or 50 years down the track. It wasn't until I saw a very nice Devlin (?) that was bought out here from America a few years back, and asked the owner how many were built. He said (I think) 13. I then asked how many had survived and he said "The whole 23 of them".
    After that I seemed to hear more and more of the 'Rip off/scams that had been pulled. The value of these 'Historic' cars being the motivation.

I will put onto the McBegg thread a photo of the collection of parts accumulated (that as far as I can assertain are genuine off the McBegg). I haven't been able to use them all, but I've used what is servicable, and the rest will stay preserved as part of the package. Personally think it woulld fit into T.J.I. on the edges of resurection and recreation - but I don't care much at the moment just as I didn't care 'back then' . I am totally engrossed in the project which I see is to present another car for people to see in the Begg chain. I most probably will be open to accusation (and guilty of) 'Guilding The Lilly' a bit, but it is/was a car that I was connected to on several levels.
    I think I should probably give it to a Movie Art Department and have them give it some 'Patina' (while I look away), but with luck it will become well used and gather its own.
    Last edited by Wal Will; 01-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.

BRY3500, where did that McBegg photo come from? Are there more hiding out there?

Another great race replica fantasy creation
    Attached Images Attached Images     

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    BRY3500, where did that McBegg photo come from? Are there more hiding out there?
    Came from Laurence Brownlies website Wal...I added the tint
    http://www.laurencebrownlie.com/
    re pics..I'm hunting!!
    Last edited by bry3500; 01-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.

It was your tinting that threw me. After I posted that reply I realised it was the press photo from the record attempt. Very clever.

But is it a re-creation?

Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    Another great race replica fantasy creation
    Or more a 'retrospective special"?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    It was your tinting that threw me. After I posted that reply I realised it was the press photo from the record attempt. Very clever.
    wonder if Laurence has ever considered doing a painting ?...
    Awesome job you are doing by the way..can't wait to see the end result

A bit more thought provocation for the debate.
    The trouble with 'Race Cars' at the professional level back in the 60's were that they were constantly being developed and changed. I have mentioned on the McBegg thread the history of the M1B chassis that finished up in that car - apart from the last 2 races it was changed for every meeting.
    A few years ago I was asked to identify/confirm that a car found in Venezuela was the remains of the car that came to be known as the Cooper Oldsmobile, but more commonly know as the Zerex special.
    Without a doubt in my mind it was that car.
    Anybody who knows the history of that chassis will know the changes it went through from its begining as a Cooper F1 car to its final stage with Bruce McLaren (and on until it ended in a sad state of repair in South America).
    On a forum such as this I suggested that if 'YOU' were given it, to what stage of its life would you restore it to. The concept bought a large response and some heated debate. Most Americans would want to see it as the Penske Single Seat 'Zerex', but almost everyone else had a different preference.
    While in the hands of McLaren Racing it never raced in the same state twice. Every meeting it was 'developed' further.
    If it were mine I would most probably want to take it to the last race we ran it at Brands Hatch, because that was the last stage of 'our' development. To satisfy everyone you would have to build many cars.
    Last edited by Wal Will; 01-29-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Has the new owner had the custaxie out on the track or is it still in the shed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Has the new owner had the custaxie out on the track or is it still in the shed.
    I have it on good authority that he only bought it to crush it!

so the one that is still down the back in the shed is the only one now--russ.