Scanning these threads, I have to wonder how some vehicles, in stock form, woefully unsuitable for racing, eventually became quite successful.
The Chevrolet Monza is a classic example.....a 'bitza' or 'parts-bin' car if ever there was one..several engines..4cyl to 8 cyl; several gearboxes and diffs...all thrown into a re-clad body clothing a Chevrolet Vega subframe....itself having the rigidity and strength of a wet noodle. In 8cyl form it was mounted on 13" wheels with 8" front discs and drum rears..............one and one only high speed stop..before you had to wait for several minutes for braking to return. It DID wobble around corners about as well as any other US designed cars of that era. In fact the ONLY high spot was an air conditioner that would cool a small factory...a 36,000BTU Harrison compressor that would freeze your gonads in minutes.......at least you would stay cold while waiting for your brakes to return.
And yet someone looked at this assembly of parts and said.." I'm going motor-racing"..even IF all I have left from stock, is a roof profile and badges.
Makes you wonder.......what else out there had such a modest start ??