Thread: SILK PURSES FROM PIG'S EARS

Weekend Warrior
    Roger's Forge suburb, just north of Baltimore City

SILK PURSES FROM PIG'S EARS

Scanning these threads, I have to wonder how some vehicles, in stock form, woefully unsuitable for racing, eventually became quite successful.
    The Chevrolet Monza is a classic example.....a 'bitza' or 'parts-bin' car if ever there was one..several engines..4cyl to 8 cyl; several gearboxes and diffs...all thrown into a re-clad body clothing a Chevrolet Vega subframe....itself having the rigidity and strength of a wet noodle. In 8cyl form it was mounted on 13" wheels with 8" front discs and drum rears..............one and one only high speed stop..before you had to wait for several minutes for braking to return. It DID wobble around corners about as well as any other US designed cars of that era. In fact the ONLY high spot was an air conditioner that would cool a small factory...a 36,000BTU Harrison compressor that would freeze your gonads in minutes.......at least you would stay cold while waiting for your brakes to return.
    And yet someone looked at this assembly of parts and said.." I'm going motor-racing"..even IF all I have left from stock, is a roof profile and badges.
    Makes you wonder.......what else out there had such a modest start ??

The old road going Monza certainly had no brakes. Remember one day at Puke running in an engine and Lyall from Lyall's Carpainters fame came out to see how it was all going, he had just got a Monza and was itching to give it a blast, so out he went and yep, third time at end of back straight he had just passed me and he was off to Tuakau, she never looked like stopping. Lucky he hit nothing and after he had extracted himself from way down the valley came back to pits with funny look on his face. I am sure he wasn't properly in the seat either. He did put bigger brakes on it ( I think he may have put HQ disc's etc on front and smaller on rear) and went to 14 inch wheels with lower profile tyres. It ended up not a bad road car. I do remember it was awkward if you went out for a drink, and happened to give some poor lost girls a lift home, very friendly in the back.
    The old Monza, if it could talk.

World Champion
    My old Granny used to say...."you can't make a silk purse out of a SOWS ear" But I suppose that is being a bit sexist today isn't it. So saying 'pigs' covers all bases!!! And yes, I have been getting up early in the morning for the last week hoping to see 'roaringseason' up and running again. In fact I was sure that Steve had excommunicated me for incorrect reporting. Then today....hey presto, we are back in action. I promise I will try to be accurate in future Sir. Happy Xmas to all the forum contributors. We have had some laughs and seen some amazing old pictures, and am looking forward to the New Year.