Thread: The Mc Begg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes and a narrow strip between the track and the disaster of contact with the green Ford ,was it really that important that the guy had to be that close to his lunch box ,surely he could have walked a bit further to it

I just love these early Teretonga photo's.
    The first is Barry during the few laps of practice he got. It looks like the spring rates where a bit out, George might have put the fronts on the rear. Nobody seperated by only a few straw bales seems the slightest bit interested.

The second is once again back with our Consul. The fact that Barry is now in the lead only distracts from the spectator seating arrangements.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wal - you are to be congratulated for taking on this project and I am sure it will be beautifully presented when complete (even if it has some of George's quirky methods still employed).

Really looking forward to seeing this car on track again. Another peice of NZ motorsport history.

And yes the old Mk I Consul was pretty close to the track.

Those 'stick on lumpy bits' on the nose section of the McBegg were there when George bought the body. You can see them in that Goodwoood photo. Put there because when we cut the 2" out of the profile the radiator connections stuck out.

Well apart from a couple of leads this has not produced any of the photo's that I thought might be lurking out there somewhere.
    Just because I can - here is one of the 'McBegg' chassis at Silverstone with Chris driving it. As you can see by now, its second meeting, it has 13" fronts and 15" rears.
    Back in the days when cars were allowed to make noise, and people were allowed to take risks.

Indeed Chris in car #29 was on his way to second place. It was quite a good days for Kiwis - Denny won and Bruce was third...

This thread is just fantastic!

Weekend Warrior
    Aaah those were the days Wal! Barry's best moment, and mine, 1967 International meeting and YEARS before Rindt, Rosberg and now many others who try it, was swooping around the outside of Andy Buchanan in the 250LM in the Loop. Many people years later think it is a move that is clever today but B. Keen was the first to successfully pull it off. Car was Begg workshop yellow, always told George they looked a bit rough!

Quote Originally Posted by DJMcD View Post
    Aaah those were the days Wal! Barry's best moment, and mine, 1967 International meeting and YEARS before Rindt, Rosberg and now many others who try it, was swooping around the outside of Andy Buchanan in the 250LM in the Loop. Many people years later think it is a move that is clever today but B. Keen was the first to successfully pull it off.
    Don't want to go to far off topic and with all respect to DJMcD. Frank Shuter I think was the first to do the outside pass in the Loop at Teretonga
    At the 1958 November Gold Star Meeting he went around the outside of Ross Jensen who promptly went down a gear and bent a valve.
    Frank Shuter was in Maserati 8CM about 20 years older than the Jensen 250F!