Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mc Begg

Early this morning (check the length of the shadows) the track rescue truck very kindly called at the workshop and picked up the car and delivered it to the track, where it was put on display.
    There was a majic moment when Barry Keen dropped by to check it out before he went to fulfill his roll as a volunteer 'first response' marshall.
    What is it about motor racing that keeps us all coming back year after year?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wal, I used a fluxer years ago (about 68). Cant remember if the flux comes through the acetlyene or oxygen line. We threw our hoses out after using the fluxer. I was brazing mild steel tube.

There are words you are not allowed to use on public sites, so "@#$%^&* awesome Wally"
    I do have views on replica,/ recreation/ restoration, but in this case who cares?

Through the acetlyene woody, and you're right it eventually eats the hoses (probably why it was baned in the U.K.)

World Champion
    [QUOTE=Oldfart;10319] "@#$%^&* awesome Wally"
    ...Yep!

Stunning effort Wally. Take a bow! I've really enjoyed following this thread, seeing the car come to life. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. You've done an incredible job. How was the car received on the weekend? Any comments on the colour?

Nobody wants to change the colour so far.
    The car attracted a lot of interest and quite a few people who were not aware of the rebuild taking place - but had seen the car back in period - were really kind with their comments, and all are pleased to have another in the line of Beggs back on track.

It sure looks good in the flesh, the colour is a bit lighter than my associates remember but we agree that this was probably the shade that it should have been painted.

We are looking forward to the March meeting Wally.

Cheers

Brilliant piece of work, nice going!

Journeyman Racer
    For the Forum members who don't know who T54 is:
    He is Philippe de Lespinay and he is the one who restored the Cooper Indy car that Jack Brabham drove there and he has also restored many Gurney Eagle Indy cars.

Here is the story on how Philippe saved the 1961 Kimberly Special Cooper:

http://www.tsrfcars.com/toys-full_size_cooper.htm
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 02-23-2012 at 07:16 PM.

The only Begg currently painted 'Begg yellow' that I can think of is the twin-cam car (number 6).

I'd be very surprised if the yellow on that car was much different to the McBegg that I watched being loaded onto that truck in Invercargill last Sunday morning.

The twin-cam lives in the far north these days so it may take a while to get parked next to the McBegg for a comparison. Having said that, it is now 5 years since the big Begg long weekend at Drummond and Invercargill. George died two months later but already minds are at work as to when the next celebration should take place - with a feeling that another five years might be too long...

Weekend Warrior
    Aaah those were the days Wal! Barry's best moment, and mine, 1967 International meeting and YEARS before Rindt, Rosberg and now many others who try it, was swooping around the outside of Andy Buchanan in the 250LM in the Loop. Many people years later think it is a move that is clever today but B. Keen was the first to successfully pull it off. Car was Begg workshop yellow, always told George they looked a bit rough!

DJ, have you any knowledge of the car/bits around the period of time that it was reported to be owned by Brian Middlemiiss? It seems to have fallen off the radar screen after Digby.

Hey wal......happy birthday

Weekend Warrior
    Wal we are trying to figure whether Brian actually owned car/bits and don't think so. He might have been doing some work on it while still at the Queenstown Motor Museum but it probably was owned by someone else at that time. Certainly Gillian cannot remember any mention of a Begg during the time he was working on his own as Middlemass Automotive. Mind you, our memory is the same colour as our hair, a bit grey! Sorry can't be more help.

Thanks to Terry Marshall here is another photo of Digby. First one I have seen where he has sprouted a wing.
    Car is looking quite tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMcD View Post
    Aaah those were the days Wal! Barry's best moment, and mine, 1967 International meeting and YEARS before Rindt, Rosberg and now many others who try it, was swooping around the outside of Andy Buchanan in the 250LM in the Loop. Many people years later think it is a move that is clever today but B. Keen was the first to successfully pull it off.
    Don't want to go to far off topic and with all respect to DJMcD. Frank Shuter I think was the first to do the outside pass in the Loop at Teretonga
    At the 1958 November Gold Star Meeting he went around the outside of Ross Jensen who promptly went down a gear and bent a valve.
    Frank Shuter was in Maserati 8CM about 20 years older than the Jensen 250F!

Terry Marshall has again come through with some great photo's. It is great to see it 'in use'.

Stellar shots, of a good looking car. Thanks for sharing all of this.

-Chad

I second everything OCTARD-USA just said.

Love the Terry Marshall shots. I wonder what effect that wing would have had. Would that have been of some benefit Wal?