Thread: The Mc Begg

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Mc Begg

I'l start this thread in the here and now, and as I become accustomed to posting photos I will build on it with what I have.
    I am hoping some of you out there can help with some dates and a bit of the story on the car after it left Southland.
    Photo's would be wonderful as there not a lot to be found.
    I have several conflicting views on the colour of the car. The last thing I want to present is an 'orange' car, and yet in some of the photo's I have it appears that way.
    Barry Keen (the first driver of this and many of Georges cars) recalls that it was painted in the 'Begg Machinery Yellow' - a colour that was always in the factory spray gun - and that the colour that Grant Clearwater came up with for the first Twin cam Begg was as close as he has seen to that colour. Others disagree and say that it was away more orange. By the time it comes to final painting I hope 'we' have resolved that.

Time line on the Mc Begg.
    Components
    Chassis
    1966 M1B 13” wheel experimental car.
    April 8th - Snetterton (Bruce) - 13” wheels all around.
    May 14th - Silverstone (Chris) - 13” front 15” rear
    May 29th St Joviet (Chris) 15” wheels all round
    June 4th Mosport Players 200 (Chris) 15” wheels all round
    Then the chassis was discarded to the scrap pile after all the bits were taken off it to go onto a new chassis.

Body
    Came off the Denny Hulme M6 1967 Can Am car, raced as #5, then modified in 1968 to become a prototype/test body for the M8 program, then discarded to the scrap pile. (Georges shopping spot).

Mc Begg
    December 23rd? Container arrived at Drummond from England containing assorted parts
    January - Teretonga DNF timing chain Barry Keen #44
    Timaru - Barry Keen 2nd to Graham Harvey in an Elfin. Barry’s last race. #44
    March Pukekohe Geoff Mardon DNF/accident with Denis Marwood (in a single seater) #45

May 24th land speed record – Laurence Brownlie #45
    May 25th Timaru broke a harmonic damper - only practiced, never raced
    June - Small meetings at Teretonga and Ruapuna - Geoff Mardon
    1970/73 Digby Taylor
    Brian Middlemiss
    Neville Brumby
    Tony Roberts
    Currently being resurrected by Wal Willmott

I hope that will get this thread off and running.

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal Will; 03-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.