Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Festival Of Motor Racing (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I'd need to speak to the owner before I divulged too much publically. I'll ask him tomorrow or Saturday all being well.

I'll be taking pics Friday/Saturday so if anyone hasn't had a pic taken yet and wants one, better post on here with car number/class... Just remember I don't have media accreditation so I can only take pics from the public areas - and I'll need a lie down or two during the day when the pain gets too much for me when the morning morphine wears off!
    Hi ERC, Our motorhome ('Hawkeye') will be in the paddock area down by turn 3 so call in a say gidday (and have a break if you need one).

Cheers Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Can you give us any clues as to which model F1 it might be. Would love to see an M7 or an M14 in this country.
    It's reportly to be the BRM M4B F1. The car was that was burnt to the ground tyre testing for firestone at Goodwoodi n the late 60's.

Howden Ganley told me last November that he was given the suspension of the remains after the fire for another project. Remains to be seen if it is the real deal. Hoping for the best..but unlikely !

Hi Brett,

I was told that it was the only surviving M8B (one of only two) and that a gentleman in the South Island has purchased it and is getting Duncan Fox to rebuild it for him.

Tell him to get in line until Duncan finishes the McLaren Trust car...

EDIT : I've just spotted on the NZFMR facebook page that the car's done and looks a treat!! Worth the wait.
    Last edited by GD66; 01-25-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi guys,

I cant walk far after breaking my leg at the end of October and I am hoping to be at HD on Sunday. If you see a guy on a mobility scooter in a Roaring Season T shirt I would appreciate it if you would say Hello.

Graeme

The event got a nice review on Speedhunters: http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/...meets-group-a/

The word is getting out there.

Hope to catch up with more of you this weekend. I am hanging around that 141 Firebird by the HMC.

Bruce.

World Champion
    Boys.......I have threatened to do this on numerous occasions on the roaring season as you know......now I think the time has come.......the walrus may have said it originally, but now I am saying it.........TIME TO STAY HOME AND DO MY KNITTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    It's reportly to be the BRM M4B F1. The car was that was burnt to the ground tyre testing for firestone at Goodwood in the late 60's.

Howden Ganley told me last November that he was given the suspension of the remains after the fire for another project. Remains to be seen if it is the real deal. Hoping for the best..but unlikely !
    Apparently it is the real deal... I have seen the bits that were purchased and may be seeing it again Monday.

dont let a couple of broken head lights beat you gerald
    Last edited by rogered; 01-25-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Best to everyone for a great weekend. Just sorry I cannot be there for part 2

Hi Brett,

I was told that it was the only surviving M8B (one of only two) and that a gentleman in the South Island has purchased it and is getting Duncan Fox to rebuild it for him.
    This rebuild has been on the floor of Duncan Fox's workshop nearly as long as the Trust's M8A. Duncan and Tony (Roberts) of Group Seven Sportscars took the opportunity to pick up the remains of the car which had indeed been one of 3 McLaren M8Bs in 1969. That opportunity was to be able to build the two cars in parallel. For example the tubs of the two cars were almost identical. In fact the Trust car started life as Denny's CanAm winner in 1968 before becoming the "mule" for the M8B and subsequently the team's spare car. The other M8B (of original 3 which included the above "continuation" car) was trashed, as I understand because of severe corrosion on the salt-laden roads of Nth America on the way back to the McLaren base.

This means of the original 3 (or 2.5!) M8Bs there will only ever be one true M8B - the one pictured in the Trust's garage at the Festival. I can't recall if this was Bruce's racecar or Denny's racecar (the Trust car being at different times an A and the spare B). The M8B high wing car was the most successful of all the CanAm McLarens, winning all 11 races in 1969.

Incidentally the Trust car didn't run again this weekend because of major problems with the starter which is proving a headache in term of sourcing the parts. A less authentic set of internals is now going to be used to overcome the absence of any originals.