Quote Originally Posted by Habu View Post
Ok, I've had a quick read through this thread, and will add my 5 cents worth.....

I love motorsport, and despite the emaciated Formula Ford class that is currently being run, still believe like everyone else here that its a fundamentally great class. So why havent I decided to pursue it with my 17 year old son?

Pretty simple really, its cost. The idea of supporting / funding an engine builders retirement fund by way of 40 year old Cortina engines just doesnt really entice me into the class. C'mon Motorsport NZ (or whatever its called nowadays), more modern interpretations of a suitable engine have been available for many years. 70k for a modernish car, with old mechanicals is hardly "enrty level" single seater racing. I've spoken to several parents whose kids raced a season or two in F/F, and surprisingly the majority of them said it was financial suicide. I know we could have looked at Formula First / Vee, but more experienced racers I spoke to suggested that if one was serious about single seater racing, that it was better to side step this class in favour of a "real" single seater.....

Instead we decided to purchase a KZ2 class kart. Its power to weight ratio is impressive, its a challenge to drive, and a challenge for Dad.
Hi Habu
I fear that you may have been misinformed regarding the costs of Formula Ford. A lot of misinformation has circulated regarding $$$ required for quite a few years.
You can buy a current championship car complete for around the 30K mark, not 70K as you have been told. Although the Kent engine has 40 years of history behind it; the current ones are not "old" and are very reliable as long as the driver doesnt cock-up a downshift and over-rev. You should be able to do the whole season without pulling apart any of the engine with the current regulations.

The new spec F/Ford that I would like to see introduced to NZ over a phase in period is 35K pounds and the engine/gearbox is sealed by Ford. In two years time these cars will be secondhand and around the $30-40K NZ mark.